Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oximeter Results Help? Newbie
Oximeter Results Help? Newbie
Hello Everyone

I'm new here and looking for some help and advice.

I'm a 48 year old male, A non smoker, non drinker and I think I have some heart issues which caused my oxygen level to drop from time to time during the day and sleeps. I know my GP is the best person to diagnose but I hate making a nuisance of myself. Would anyone please give me a loose idea if it is even worth me going to see her based on my results. Thanks all!

I purchased the 24hour pulse oximeter Contec CMS50F

My Oximetry report is below.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oximeter Results Help? Newbie
Welcome to the forum
Time <88% = 0.0

in other words you do not need supplemental oxygen
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2022, 08:41 PM)Gideon Wrote: Welcome to the forum
Time <88% = 0.0

in other words you do not need supplemental oxygen

Thank you Gideon.

But isn't of concern when oxygen concentration lower than 95% while awake/during the day? I read 95% - %100 normal range for a person and I have spikes below 95% while sitting, walking, lie down flat etc..
Post Reply Post Reply
To add to Gideon's assessment, the drops you are seeing are artifacts. They can be caused by rapid movement or striking or bumping the finger sensor against something. Your data looks great!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Typically spikes only mean to look deeper. Daytime O2 levels are typically higher than sleep readings and normals do vary somewhat by the individual. Time at lows would be a more important number. Here we deal with sleep so I do not know what levels would be critical while awake.
Post Reply Post Reply
Was this while awake or sleeping? If sleeping I would say there is a chance of apnea. If awake I am not sure what to make of this, it does drop a bit more than I would anticipate.

If you have any questions about heart etc you should bring it up with your doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2022, 08:29 PM)BreathInBreathOut1982 Wrote: I'm a 48 year old male, A non smoker, non drinker and I think I have some heart issues [...]

Why would you think that? Are you having other symptoms that would make you concerned about your heart? Palpitations? Chest pain? High blood pressure? Is there a family history of heart disease? What prompted you to use a recording oximeter in the first place?

I also am of the opinion that the drops in SpO2 you see are artefacts. But whether they are or whether they aren't, it's impossible to diagnose a cardiac problem just from SpO2 recordings.

In my view, if you have symptoms (other than this SpO2) that make you concerned about your heart, you should have them evaluated properly.

Best wishes, DS
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2022, 10:09 PM)Geer1 Wrote: Was this while awake or sleeping? If sleeping I would say there is a chance of apnea. If awake I am not sure what to make of this, it does drop a bit more than I would anticipate.

If you have any questions about heart etc you should bring it up with your doctor.

Hi Geer1 that was recorded while awake.

This one was recorded last night, and I got woke up due to drop in SPO2, and each time I get woke up I would get a uncomfortable feeling in my chest and chest feels tight/full while head feels numb/stiff. For each time I get woke up it gets harder and harder for me to fall back to sleep again. And the moment "as I fall back to sleep" my SPO2 would start dropping right away...

I recorded this last night trying to sleep.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2022, 04:46 AM)desaturator Wrote: Why would you think that? Are you having other symptoms that would make you concerned about your heart? Palpitations? Chest pain? High blood pressure? Is there a family history of heart disease? What prompted you to use a recording oximeter in the first place?

I also am of the opinion that the drops in SpO2 you see are artefacts. But whether they are or whether they aren't, it's impossible to diagnose a cardiac problem just from SpO2 recordings.

In my view, if you have symptoms (other than this SpO2) that make you concerned about your heart, you should have them evaluated properly.

Best wishes, DS

------------------

I had few months of unexplained palpitation/tachycardia, and it appears to be gone now.

A sleep study by apolysomnographic technologist  wouldn't be able to diagnose cardiac problem, right?
Post Reply Post Reply
(Sorry, I wrote this before I read your last note. I wrote a more detailed post afterwards. Sorry for spamming the forum.)

I'm no expert, but this looks like an opportunity for a sleep study. Some of the very low excursions of SpO2 could still be artefacts, but there seems to be enough "fur" in the recording to merit following up. Although your overall SpO2 levels don't look hugely scary, if something is waking you up repeatedly it will do you no favours, regardless of the cause.

Just my $0.02, of course.

BW, DS
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 372 10 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,206 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 129 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 199 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.