Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oximeter Reviews
Question 
Oximeter Reviews
I'm looking at purchasing a new Oximeter for my son. 
We use a Vibe O2 during the day to show drops and things but looking at the oximeter cms50f and oximeter cms50i, etc for night use. I want to be able to import into sleepyhead - 
I've looked over the board but most info is old, so I want to make sure I make the best decision now - 
Any feedback on the best monitor to use? (Or any I have not mentioned?)

(He has a C-pap but waiting on BiPAP now).  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oximeter Reviews
The preferred oximeter is the CMS-50 series, models D+, F, and I.  The D+ is an all-in-one unit that is harder to keep attached during sleep.  The "F" and "I" models are a wrist worn device with a detachable finger probe.  

The differences between the "F" and "I" are:
  1. The "F" is FDA approved in the U.S. (as if that really matters), the "I" has to be ordered from off shore suppliers.
  2. The "F" model only records one session, the "I" allows up to 15 sessions to be stored. The actual number is dependent on the size of each session.
  3. The "F" reports the SpO2 and pulse, the "I" records the same plus the Perfusion Index.
The pricing is progressive through the models.  With that said, the "I" model can be the same price as the "F" due to the different purchasing location.

One last thought; There are comparable models that have the bluetooth option (a "W" is added to the model letter).  This feature doesn't offer any benefit for its intended use.  This is more for a Doctor's office to capture data in real time.

I hope this provides you some insight.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oximeter Oxy310U is what I have its got multiply save slots and you can set it up to save only drops in %O2 and it saves when it happened, its got its own software to readout the data.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2018, 10:29 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: The preferred oximeter is the CMS-50 series, models D+, F, and I.  The D+ is an all-in-one unit that is harder to keep attached during sleep.  The "F" and "I" models are a wrist worn device with a detachable finger probe.  

The differences between the "F" and "I" are:
  1. The "F" is FDA approved in the U.S. (as if that really matters), the "I" has to be ordered from off shore suppliers.
  2. The "F" model only records one session, the "I" allows up to 15 sessions to be stored. The actual number is dependent on the size of each session.
  3. The "F" reports the SpO2 and pulse, the "I" records the same plus the Perfusion Index.
The pricing is progressive through the models.  With that said, the "I" model can be the same price as the "F" due to the different purchasing location.

One last thought; There are comparable models that have the bluetooth option (a "W" is added to the model letter).  This feature doesn't offer any benefit for its intended use.  This is more for a Doctor's office to capture data in real time.

- Red

Thank you, this is VERY helpful. 

Actually I was looking at bluetooth since my son will be wearing it and I can monitor elsewhere in the house if needed???
Post Reply Post Reply
Bluetooth's specification limits the connection to around 30 feet (9.1 meters) between the device and the receiver.

The software that accompanies the CMS-50, SpO2 Assistant, is used for real-time monitoring, analysis and data download. SleepyHead can perform a direct import from the device as well. Please be aware that a bug has crept into the latest version of SleepyHead that messes with the import time and duration. The current work-around is to import the ".spo2" file downloaded using SpO2 Assistant. The SH version coming down the pipeline will have this bug addressed, but is a few months (fingers crossed) away.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2018, 12:13 PM)kasiahbug Wrote:
(05-24-2018, 10:29 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: The preferred oximeter is the CMS-50 series, models D+, F, and I.  The D+ is an all-in-one unit that is harder to keep attached during sleep.  The "F" and "I" models are a wrist worn device with a detachable finger probe.  

- Red

Actually I was looking at bluetooth since my son will be wearing it and I can monitor elsewhere in the house if needed??? 

kasiahbug, that is understandable; however I expect that over time you will not find instant observation of O² sat to be important. Additionally, Bluetooth is expensive in electricity (heavy drain on batteries) as well as implemented circuitry.  Most folks — even those who experience very low saturation — find that checking the recordings after a sleep period is sufficient.

My suggestion is to focus on other criteria for your selection; if the ideal device happens to include Bluetooth, okay.

I have a CMS 550F, which serves nicely and I've found its recordings are the same as more expensive and horribly expensive devices.  Pretty good for about eighty bucks!

However, the promised 72 hours of stored data has been elusive.  At one time I was able to record three overnight sessions and download them to my computer.  Another time I was able to download two sessions.  Now I find that, regardless of how long/short the sleep period, only the most recent is available for download.  (I attribute this shifting sand to the Contec Medical devices being cheap Chinese junk.)

Hope that helps. Please keep us posted!
Post Reply Post Reply
In terms of the reviews, not much if anything has changed with the oximeters reviewed. They don't change all that much and if they do, they get another letter after the name.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2018, 12:43 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote: However, the promised 72 hours of stored data has been elusive.  At one time I was able to record three overnight sessions and download them to my computer.  Another time I was able to download two sessions.  Now I find that, regardless of how long/short the sleep period, only the most recent is available for download.  (I attribute this shifting sand to the Contec Medical devices being cheap Chinese junk.)

An interesting observation, thanks.  (I'll probably be shopping for one of those devices eventually.)  Your assumption about cheap Chinese junk is probably true, and more specifically, most likely the firmware wasn't written carefully to conserve the flash RAM by doing wear leveling.

Wikipedia: Wear leveling: types

The problem is that a write cycle doesn't happen only once per sleep session; it happens whenever the program needs to write to the nonvolatile memory, and that's entirely up to whether the programmer took care to minimize those writes.

As for why one session's worth of data remains available for much longer, a guess is based on this from the wikipedia page: "EEPROM and flash memory media have individually erasable segments, each of which can be put through a limited number of erase cycles before becoming unreliable. This is usually around 3,000/5,000 cycles but many flash devices have one block with a specially extended life of 100,000+ cycles that can be used by the Flash memory controller to track wear and movement of data across segments." So maybe the programmers knew that would be a problem, and used a two-tier flash-RAM configuration with one session's worth of data kept in a more durable chip? I dunno.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2018, 12:37 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Bluetooth's specification limits the connection to around 30 feet (9.1 meters) between the device and the receiver.

The software that accompanies the CMS-50, SpO2 Assistant, is used for real-time monitoring, analysis and data download.  SleepyHead can perform a direct import from the device as well.  Please be aware that a bug has crept into the latest version of SleepyHead that messes with the import time and duration.  The current work-around is to import the ".spo2" file downloaded using SpO2 Assistant.  The SH version coming down the pipeline will have this bug addressed, but is a few months (fingers crossed) away.

Thank you  - 
I am right above his room, so could read it from there I'm sure - and if it works ok, the school nurse would like to keep tabs at school. 
We are using the O2 Vibe but noticed the pulse is way off, saying his HR was 50 and it was actually 120, so not just a little and therefore not sure if O2 is accurate or not. I plan to take two wrist devices during the day one weekend and really do a trial run. He's on oxygen during most of the day so it's imperative we have accuracy.

(05-24-2018, 12:43 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote:
(05-24-2018, 12:13 PM)kasiahbug Wrote:

- Red

kasiahbug, that is understandable; however I expect that over time you will not find instant observation of O² sat to be important. Additionally, Bluetooth is expensive in electricity (heavy drain on batteries) as well as implemented circuitry.  Most folks — even those who experience very low saturation — find that checking the recordings after a sleep period is sufficient.

My suggestion is to focus on other criteria for your selection; if the ideal device happens to include Bluetooth, okay.

I have a CMS 550F, which serves nicely and I've found its recordings are the same as more expensive and horribly expensive devices.  Pretty good for about eighty bucks!

However, the promised 72 hours of stored data has been elusive.  At one time I was able to record three overnight sessions and download them to my computer.  Another time I was able to download two sessions.  Now I find that, regardless of how long/short the sleep period, only the most recent is available for download.  (I attribute this shifting sand to the Contec Medical devices being cheap Chinese junk.)

Hope that helps. Please keep us posted!

I found a CMS 550i for $65 on Aliexpress, I think I will start with that one and also look into the CMS 550F since I was expecting to pay close to $200 or more. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm trying to provide you with information on things that can happen ahead of your CMS-50 implementation so you won't be surprised or concerned.  Rapid movement or bumping of the finger sensor will produce artifacts (outliers).  I believe that the sample rate is every six seconds.  The last statement is provided in case the topic comes up at a cocktail party. Big Grin
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,207 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 88 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 149 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 200 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 669 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Is there a pulse oximeter that bluetooths to the Air11? cathyf 2 807 12-19-2023, 01:19 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Anyone Ever Had Insurance Cover Nightly Oximeter cmpman1974 35 2,854 12-12-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.