Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

xaid - Therapy Thread
xaid - Therapy Thread
When looking at my charts on OSCAR I was wondering whether there is any normal range for flow rate.

Does it mean anything to have a consistent flow rate but narrower or broader than others?

Is my flow rate range OK?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What is the normal flow rate?
I would say your flow rates look average. My own seem to be +-35 l/min...

A more useful value might be your tidal volume, which is usually from 300 ml to 500 ml, depending on your height.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the information. The main reason I was asking about the flow rate is that I feel my breathing is not deep enough.

Now I am looking at my tidal volume and found it varying a lot. Is it a concern?
Do I need to get medical advice on this?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Oximeter Vs Smartwatch vs no heart rate monitor
I am new to CPAP therapy and wondering whether it is necessary to monitor heart rate during sleep or not.

If it is important to monitor heart rate, is a regular smartwatch sufficient, or medical oximeters are better? Why?
Post Reply Post Reply
All I can say is that your average/median? value seems normal, and you have more spikes and higher than I do...

Obviously not a big sample, and I have no idea whether that's a problem or just normal variation.

I mean, who knows if my own values are normal?
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tidal volume and minute vent are common metrics used in pulmonary function, and the ideal volumes are based on your height, ideal weight, sex, health, age and other factors, so there is a wide variation in actual respiratory volumes. Your Oscar charts show a median tidal volume, respiration rate and minute vent, and these are really the key to whether your respiration falls into the normal range. My own tidal volume is generally around 600 mL and minute vent at 9 L/min. I'm a pretty big guy and have normal to high pulmonary function. If you really want to analyze your respiration, ask for a pulmonary function test (PFT) at your next checkup, and based your expectations in Oscar on the factors I listed above and your health.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, @Sleeprider.

That is good advice. Definitely, will see the possibility to ask for the PFT on my next visit to the clinic.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's always useful to have a baseline measure of function as it can tell you if results are within normal bounds, and track any progression of asthma, COPD or other airway impairment. The Oscar data is of limited use in that regard.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2023, 07:53 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: It's always useful to have a baseline measure of function as it can tell you if results are within normal bounds, and track any progression of asthma, COPD or other airway impairment.  The Oscar data is of limited use in that regard.

Do you suggest using another software to have better insights?
Post Reply Post Reply
Not at all. I'm just saying Oscar provides respiratory statistics of your sleep or resting volumes, which may depart from values measured in a PFT. I have not even seen an Oscar chart from you to comment on your respiratory stats. Post the daily details with the summary stats and settings.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 41 1,235 1 hour ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Treatment] The Fox's Therapy Thread (plus help with Dad) The Fox 3 61 1 hour ago
Last Post: Jay51
  Second attemp at therapy Jonkier 3 90 2 hours ago
Last Post: Jonkier
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 79 1,460 6 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 3 179 Yesterday, 01:06 PM
Last Post: joedes
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 75 1,585 Yesterday, 10:01 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  LongDaysPleasantNights' Therapy Thread LongDaysPleasantNights 4 126 04-21-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.