Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oximeter favorite choice.
Oximeter favorite choice.
Is anyone using the CMS-60C hand held pulse oximeter?

I'm going to purchase my first pulse ox, and was thinking that for another $20 maybe the 60C is superior to the CMS-50F. But then, maybe I'm not seeing the full picture.

I hope to import overnight time-stamped SAT data into Sleepyhead, and correlate with what little data my FP ICON gives me.

As far as I can tell the 60C comes with analytical software that maybe the 50F does not. I figure if I can negotiate a hose, why not also a wire, if there’s added benefit to it?

Any advice from expert users?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oximeter favorite choice.
I wouldn't recommend it, speaking professionally - it is great for a spot check, but for a recording device it leaves a few things to be desired, mostly that the recording section is not attached to the body, which makes it difficult in a sleeping situation. It is in no way superior or gives any better information than any other pulse-ox on the market, nor is it any more accurate - it is designed as a clinical device for daytime use by nursing staff, hence the deliberately separated display device, so that someone other than the patient can hold it in their hand and read off the data (the ones where the display is built into the fingerling are a pain to read off by an observer - you end up with a crick in your neck). The two devices you mention are more or less the same, only one straps onto your wrist, which is convenient for overnight recording. The other doesn't, and you then have to figure out how to keep it from detaching, falling off the bed, being rolled over or whatever, all which introduce a mass of noise.

BTW, I use a CMS50E (no wireless, no bluetooth) at home, and it is more than enough to get the info I need. And all the devices come with the same software from that manufacturer. There is no real difference. Only the software to download the information differs from device to device.
Post Reply Post Reply
I chose the CMS50 models just because you can wear them and not get tangled up in any cords. I have both the F and IW models. The "W" is the bluetooth version and allows you to record to your computer in real time with the supplied software. It's a neat idea that I played with exactly once. The differences between the "F" and the "I" models are the "F" can only record 1 session while The "I" model can record up to 5 sessions. Additionally, the "I" model records the Perfusion Index value. (please google the term for an explanation) One last thing, If you restart the recording on the "F" model it will delete the previous data, the "I" model will start another session. On last piece of advice; Regardless of which model you chose, once you start a recording session for the night, do not stop it until the complete end of the sleep session. You can't concatenate sessions.

I used it without my CPAP while I took a nap to see if I was getting any benefit from PAP therapy. I can definitely say my CPAP is REALLY working for me.

Good Luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the CMS50D+ model since it costs less and does a good job. It came with software for reviewing sessions. It's compatible with SleepyHead and does all that I need it to do.
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought a CMS 50D+ primarily to check to see if I had any desat issues. I had already been using Cpap for 8 years and was in the process of seeing about getting a new machine. The machine I had didn't support SleepyHead so I wasn't looking for that.

However, once I got it, it was clear I was not having any destats while I was using my Cpap and I found little use of the device once I got back the sleep study that showed the same thing. I ended up selling it. I only used it about 4-5 times.

If I had a desat issue on an ongoing basis, I might have continued to use it or even get a better unit like the one mentioned above which attaches the wrist, but not a problem and didn't need to mess with it.

I still have a non-recording device which I can use for spot checks if needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2015, 02:44 PM)DocWils Wrote: I wouldn't recommend it, speaking professionally - it is great for a spot check, but for a recording device it leaves a few things to be desired, mostly that the recording section is not attached to the body, which makes it difficult in a sleeping situation. It is in no way superior or gives any better information than any other pulse-ox on the market, nor is it any more accurate - it is designed as a clinical device for daytime use by nursing staff, hence the deliberately separated display device, so that someone other than the patient can hold it in their hand and read off the data (the ones where the display is built into the fingerling are a pain to read off by an observer - you end up with a crick in your neck). The two devices you mention are more or less the same, only one straps onto your wrist, which is convenient for overnight recording. The other doesn't, and you then have to figure out how to keep it from detaching, falling off the bed, being rolled over or whatever, all which introduce a mass of noise.

BTW, I use a CMS50E (no wireless, no bluetooth) at home, and it is more than enough to get the info I need. And all the devices come with the same software from that manufacturer. There is no real difference. Only the software to download the information differs from device to device.

Hi DocWils, I recently purchased the CMS50E and am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong as I can't get it to upload data to sleepyhead or the software that came with it. I started the record at the same time as CPAP, and stop it in the morning.
I downloaded the software and that seemed to go ok, except when it asks me to upload. I click on Upload and I get a message that they are waiting for me to upload. I get the same message from sleepyhead. I am confused. Maby something is wrong with it, but I think it is me, since I'm not computer savvy. Any thoughts?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Two things - you have to use the USB cable that came with the device, and second, when you go into the menu to start the upload, you have to a) turn on USB, and b) turn on upload AFTER you have started the software on your computer and it gives you the waiting for upload sign - sometimes you will have to start it twice. After that it should be a doddle. Don't forget, if you want to match the data to your sleepyhead time stamps, you have to set the clock at start of recording to the correct time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2015, 07:20 PM)DocWils Wrote: Two things - you have to use the USB cable that came with the device, and second, when you go into the menu to start the upload, you have to a) turn on USB, and b) turn on upload AFTER you have started the software on your computer and it gives you the waiting for upload sign - sometimes you will have to start it twice. After that it should be a doddle. Don't forget, if you want to match the data to your sleepyhead time stamps, you have to set the clock at start of recording to the correct time.

Ok, thanks for the speedy response. I will attempt this again tonight and see how it goes. Thanks
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2015, 06:59 PM)roe1549 Wrote: Hi DocWils, I recently purchased the CMS50E and am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong as I can't get it to upload data to sleepyhead or the software that came with it. I started the record at the same time as CPAP, and stop it in the morning.
I downloaded the software and that seemed to go ok, except when it asks me to upload. I click on Upload and I get a message that they are waiting for me to upload. I get the same message from sleepyhead. I am confused. Maby something is wrong with it, but I think it is me, since I'm not computer savvy. Any thoughts?

I realize that this is a very stupid question, but did you power it up to perform the upload?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it was at full charge or power if I understand your question. I wore it all night, so I know it was recording. It seems that I am doing something wrong. I will try again tomorrow.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,206 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 88 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 149 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 200 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 669 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Is there a pulse oximeter that bluetooths to the Air11? cathyf 2 807 12-19-2023, 01:19 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Anyone Ever Had Insurance Cover Nightly Oximeter cmpman1974 35 2,853 12-12-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.