Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oximetry Chart guidance
RE: Oximetry Chart guidance
(06-11-2018, 07:49 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote:
(06-11-2018, 12:46 PM)Sheepish Wrote: ... O2 (how do I get this forum to let me paste in a subscript 2?) ...

Here's  a superscript, which is the preferable (proper) way to abbreviate oxygen: O²
(The acceptable alternative is O2; O₂ is not correct.

Thinking-about Let us go forth and consult the all-knowing Oracle of Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not sure what the rules are for my Contec oximeter and sleepyhead to classify an O2 drop. But mine seems to classify a lot of drops, even though I remain at steady 93% during the time. Several days ago, sleepyhead shows O2 drops of 3620, 1130, 1316 seconds. My O2 shows steady at 93-94%. So why would it say I had a drop for that amount of time? Is it because the baseline used was 98%, and anything under that is a drop? How does it calculate the baseline?

Anyway, I will get O2 drops for no apparent reason some nights, except for some weird breathing patterns that go along with it. Sometimes a short (5 sec) apnea will cause O2 to drop to 85%. Other times, I have a (20+ sec) OA/CA/HA that does nothing to O2. I wish I could get mine steady and stay there at 90+ all night, so I didn't have to wear this damn O2 sensor.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2018, 08:46 PM)Sheepish Wrote:
(06-11-2018, 07:49 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote:
(06-11-2018, 12:46 PM)Sheepish Wrote: ... O2 (how do I get this forum to let me paste in a subscript 2?) ...

Here's  a superscript, which is the preferable (proper) way to abbreviate oxygen: O²
(The acceptable alternative is O2; O₂ is not correct.

Thinking-about Let us go forth and consult the all-knowing Oracle of Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen
<gasp> Are you trying to tell me you think the phlogiston theory is wrong?   Oh-jeez

No?  O₂ is the correct form?  Oh, c'mon, that's what I was taught in elementary school, and "everybody knows" how wrong most of that teaching is!

Oh, okay, I agree, and admit that my mind has flown the coop.  Andk thank you Sheepish for your gentle correction.  (I'll get you, you mumble mumble...)
Post Reply Post Reply

Myron, the parameters for my Contec are shown near the bottom of my june 10 report.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2018, 11:01 AM)trance Wrote: When I imported last night's data into SH, I ended up with 100+ hours and 1000+ events. I've only used the Oximeter a few hours total. Too-funny  

(06-11-2018, 11:10 PM)MyronH Wrote: I am not sure what the rules are for my Contec oximeter and sleepyhead to classify an O2 drop. But mine seems to classify a lot of drops, even though I remain at steady 93% during the time. Several days ago, sleepyhead shows O2 drops of 3620, 1130, 1316 seconds. My O2 shows steady at 93-94%. So why would it say I had a drop for that amount of time? Is it because the baseline used was 98%, and anything under that is a drop? How does it calculate the baseline?

I've used the Contec CMS50F for only two nights, and for last night I get:
101 Events reported by SpO2 Assistant  (defined as a drop of 4% or more for a minimum of 10 seconds)
249 Events reported by Sleepyhead (defined as ... what??)

@trance, my session durations are correct in SpO2 Assistant, but stretched out by an extra hour or more in Sleepyhead.

I wanted to try importing the file from SpO2 to see if it would at least not stretch the graph, but Sleepyhead says "No oximetry module could parse the given file".
Post Reply Post Reply
Merry Christmas! I figured this out:

Quote:Me:
I've used the Contec CMS50F for only two nights, and for last night I get:

101 Events reported by SpO2 Assistant  (defined as a drop of 4% or more for a minimum of 10 seconds)
249 Events reported by Sleepyhead (defined as ... what??)
In SpO2 Assistant you can change the analysis parameters. It's set at 4% drop, you can change that to 3% if you want. In the Oximetry Report, you're given the amount of time spent at less than 88% blood oxygen. You can change that to 89%. That's what my sleep doc wanted to see, because that's an insurance parameter.
-- Julie picante
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 279 1 hour ago
Last Post: Expat31
  Sleep HQ Chart Feedback RobertGeorge 9 238 03-21-2024, 07:05 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 97 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  [Pressure] Looking for some pressure guidance lavenderlate 1 133 03-11-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Question [Symptoms] Transitional CSA - oximetry freaking me out. How low is too low? Apprenticepragmatist 8 732 02-27-2024, 09:29 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Another new user needing guidance Unathletico 1 167 02-26-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: grubsztyl
  Brain Fog - seeking guidance in optimizing my therapy deocder 42 5,377 02-20-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: deocder

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.