Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oximetry - Do any of the pulse oximeters work with linux?
Oximetry - Do any of the pulse oximeters work with linux?
I did not see a thread on this subject. I'd like to get a pulse oximeter. Are any of the SleepyHead supported oximeters compatible with linux? I have Ubuntu 15.04. I'm currently using SH v0.9.8-1.

I'd be grateful for any guidance here. I'm starting out on my non-brick CPAP journey.

Hoping for happydreams
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oximetry - Do any of the pulse oximeters work with linux?
Hmm, crickets. No one has anything to share?
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, comparatively few people run Linux though there is nothing wrong with it as an O/S and I've used it on a number of my own machines. BUT the market is so small compared to Windows machines that the big companies don't really have any financial reason to cater to it. So if all you have is Linux it's gonna be hard to find one that is compatible. You could always try "WINE" or slap a separate Windows partition on the old hard drive. The software might run under wine but getting a driver for the hardware is gonna be the real problem.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
I am a long time Linux user. All of my servers run CentOS. I have several machines at home that run various flavors of Linux. My real work horses are Macs which runs a very serious version of Unix and is actually certified as Unix compliant. Unfortunately, Windows still holds a lot (majority) of sway over the software world. I run a virtual image of Win 7 on my favorite four year old MacBook Pro and Vista Sad on an old Dell that is even older. For stuff like Oximeters, educational software and some programming environments, you just have to use windoze.

Jeff
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, assuming that you have sleepyhead running well - any of the supported devices from Contec should work as long as you can get the driver for the cable conversion.

if you search for:
silicon labs cp210x usb to uart bridge driver linux

The first link will take you to the right page for the drivers. The Contec devices use a a special cable to convert the connection that need this driver. My ASSUMPTION is that if you can get a working driver, then you can import data into sleepyhead. I am not aware of any other software available and likely the only option is to import directly to sleepyhead. I use the Contec model CMS50F and import directly to sleepyhead in windows. Again, my ASSUMPTION is that this would also work for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've seen several references to using a special cable for the oximeters, but I use a standard USB to mini (micro) USB cable for both my BP meter, and CMS50 F & I models. Both of the oximeters are using the version 3.7 firmware.

I hope this may help.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You will probably have to build SleepyHead yourself for Linux. There are some instructions in the Useful Links in my signature line below. I think the 0.9.8-1 version had a lot of improvements in oximeter.

I believe SH will work with the CMS recording oximeters on Linux, but I don't remember the details other than the drivers PBriggs mentioned above.

CMS-50D+ oximeters use a special cable that has a serial to USB converter built into the cable itself. Higher level CMS-50 oximeters use a simple USB interface, so you can plug a USB cable directly into the oximeter. At least I think that's the way it works. They may have updated the models or changed something.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2015, 07:09 PM)foss Wrote: My real work horses are Macs which runs a very serious version of Unix and is actually certified as Unix compliant.

Macs are built on the FreeBSD kernel, which is similar to Linux but NOT the same. Just to confuse things there are several versions of actual Unix. I worked on Unix servers for quite a few years. FreeBSD and Linux are not officially "unix" operating systems, though for all practical purposes for the user they are much the same.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
I too am a Linux user!
in fact, M$ is even coming out with their own version of Linux.

I guess someone there woke up and smelled the coffee.
Smile
I wish more medical app companies would wake up too, windows is garbage for anything more serious than hobby work.

But I digress, I have one Windoze laptop around now for stuff that just wont work any other way.

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2015, 07:09 PM)foss Wrote: My real work horses are Macs which runs a very serious version of Unix and is actually certified as Unix compliant.

Unix compliant ain't Unix - Free BSD was simply a rival to Linux based on loosely the paid BSD version of Unix, for those who preferred that language over System V. Real, serious Unix was SunOS, Irix, etc, all of which which were real, died in the wool Unix operating systems (oh, how I miss my O2 and my Indy - never beige, that was my motto).

I don't know of any major Pulse-Ox manufacturer that has Linux versions of their software - most only make Windoze versions, not even Mac versions. However, nil desperandum - with the introduction of major devices being made smart phone capable, apps, in both iOS and Android, are bound to be made available for reading them out. However, all currently sold pulse-ox generations will not have such software made available - Contec, the biggest maker, never bothers to do much software wise, and never makes updates of software available to the public separately from purchasing their latest and greatest product. Not many of the others do, either - so if you already bought a pulse-ox, you are out of luck - should a Linux version of Sleepyhead become available, you will be back in business - go to the Sleepyhead developer's page and appeal for one.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a solution to read out the newer versions of the Contect CMS50F under Linux? Mast04 10 807 03-25-2024, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Pierelly
  Questions about the Oximetry Preferences setting.... Lucky7 4 152 03-23-2024, 04:35 PM
Last Post: croc297
  OSCAR v1.5.2 - Linux Versions Crimson Nape 3 125 03-17-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Importing Oximetry data billmelk 1 134 03-10-2024, 02:27 PM
  python file converter for EMAY sleep pulse oximeter joeblough 1 612 03-04-2024, 10:26 PM
Last Post: ElectricalPaul
Sad Oscar 1.5.1 Doesn't work on Somoma 14.3.1 biyahero 9 383 02-28-2024, 02:00 AM
Last Post: biyahero
Question Is there a way of formatting a 64gb SD card to work with the AirCurve 10? niurefine 4 607 01-09-2024, 05:28 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.