Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oximetry Info
Oximetry Info

High Sp02 99%
Low Sp02 86%

Pulse Data
Hi Pulse 123 bpm
Low Pulse 62 bpm

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oximetry Info
If a CMS50-whatever was used, I know that the pulse rates are not calculated from a protracted time frame. The oximeter seems to look at the pulse in a short span, such as a time delta between beats, and calculate it out to a per minute rate. The simple act of getting out of bed from being asleep can be just enough to trigger a high pulse value without this being the true case. I have even played with the probes by bumping them and getting superfluous data. From what I understand, the average BPM for a male is 72 and 80 for a female. Those figures are not taking age, fitness, and health issues into consideration. I believe that in REM the pulse will quicken and the respiration will decrease. Of course I learned that from the internet, so we all know that it MUST be true. Are you able to pull the raw data into a spreadsheet program? I am interested into what you ultimately find.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
no I can't put it in the spreadsheet form sorry I have been told by my doc that ao normal pulse is anywhere from 60 to 100 but they didn't specify whether it was awake or asleep or if it was any different for being awake or asleep but I presume doc was talking about when being awake

I just wondered if what I typed above was normal or indicated a problem or potential problem
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not see a major problem in your readings. I would hope your data could be displayed or read to reveal when the pulse quickened and whether that was in relation to some of your dips in SPO2, which would be my guess. A shot of adrenalin to wake you up would get your heart beating fast.

Did you use the oximeter alone (without CPAP)?

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2015, 09:51 PM)me50 Wrote: no I can't put it in the spreadsheet form sorry I have been told by my doc that I'm normal pulse is anywhere from 60 to 100 but they didn't specify whether it was awake or asleep or if it was any different for being awake or asleep I just wondered if what I typed above was normal or indicated a problem or potential problem

Your doc is just quoting the definitions of tachycardia and bradycardia in a resting adult.
It's not uncommon to fall to 40 bpm during sleep; or rise above 100 during exercise.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
thank you for all of your replies I got some replies about normal BPM and things like that and I appreciate that information however what I am looking for is if the information that I provided is within normal range or not hundred sixty six events or something like a lot seems like a lot although I know within that time frame that they were checking me I was not asleep all that time as a matter of fact the first night I used the ox, I didn't sleep very much or very well at all I use it again the next night which was a little bit better but I think I woke up one time and forgot to put it back on my finger

Post Reply Post Reply
I wore one of the recording oximeters for a while. I found it the software flagged too many events to pay any attention to the reports.
My events as reported by my S9 were/are around 1 per hour.

Oximeters are generally good at reporting heart rate.
However, "Oxygen Desat Events 166" I do not believe. And I saw the same over reporting when I was wearing my oximeter.
I no longer wear it as I feel is is not useful.

I think mine is a CMS-50F.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
@me50 - I did ask if you were using the oximeter alone or while using the CPAP machine. No answer.

ok - well, minus specifics.... the oximeter calls any change of over 4% for more than 10 seconds an event. Not every event that the oximeter identifies translates to an apnea/hypopnea, but I have found mine to signal events that correlated to a REAL disturbance in my breathing, either a shorter breathing pause, a long enough pause to be counted, or odd breathing that clearly would be expected to result in loss of oxygen. Presto, the oximeter, which reads the real oxygen desaturation, shows a desat. (not all the desats are critical to my cells, as I have been told cell damage is likely under 88%, and most of the desats are from 98% down to 92%, or 90%.)

I use mine to confirm that my oxygen level is well into the mid 90's when on CPAP, and also periodically to determine if oxygen spikes downward in sleep sessions I don't have the machine on. I was doing that about once every two weeks to determine if my diet and exercise is making an impact on my apnea.

When I use my oximeter during CPAP sleep, the SPO2 index is between 0.7 and 5 per hour. Without the CPAP getting SPO2 index of 11 to 33 per hour, in one case 103 events in 3 hours. So, my readings do correlate fairly well with my AHI.

When I guess someone's sleep study numbers, and only have their oximeter data, I take the number of events, divide by 3, and then by the number of hours. It has been fairly accurate for a SWAG.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2015, 11:29 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: @me50 - I did ask if you were using the oximeter alone or while using the CPAP machine. No answer.

ok - well, minus specifics.... the oximeter calls any change of over 4% for more than 10 seconds an event. Not every event that the oximeter identifies translates to an apnea/hypopnea, but I have found mine to signal events that correlated to a REAL disturbance in my breathing, either a shorter breathing pause, a long enough pause to be counted, or odd breathing that clearly would be expected to result in loss of oxygen. Presto, the oximeter, which reads the real oxygen desaturation, shows a desat. (not all the desats are critical to my cells, as I have been told cell damage is likely under 88%, and most of the desats are from 98% down to 92%, or 90%.)

I use mine to confirm that my oxygen level is well into the mid 90's when on CPAP, and also periodically to determine if oxygen spikes downward in sleep sessions I don't have the machine on. I was doing that about once every two weeks to determine if my diet and exercise is making an impact on my apnea.

When I use my oximeter during CPAP sleep, the SPO2 index is between 0.7 and 5 per hour. Without the CPAP getting SPO2 index of 11 to 33 per hour, in one case 103 events in 3 hours. So, my readings do correlate fairly well with my AHI.

When I guess someone's sleep study numbers, and only have their oximeter data, I take the number of events, divide by 3, and then by the number of hours. It has been fairly accurate for a SWAG.

QAL

sorry I didn't see where you asked if I was using a machine or not or if I did see it, I forgot.

I was using a bipap auto along with the oximeter.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 133 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
Question [Symptoms] Transitional CSA - oximetry freaking me out. How low is too low? Apprenticepragmatist 8 728 02-27-2024, 09:29 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Resvent iBreeze APAP and BiPAP info TechieHippie 2 261 02-04-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Do Doctors Even Have Access to Flow Limits Info? paulag1955 16 694 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  DreamStation Go Recall [consolidated replacement & compensation info & questions] PHXSleeper 127 19,645 12-17-2023, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
Question Please Review My Data (Oximeter Info Included) — Still Tired Despite "Good" Treatment avhenry 16 1,984 12-04-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  [Diagnosis] Need help with Pulse Oximetry monitoring results NickAsleepPol 1 436 11-14-2023, 05:14 AM
Last Post: NickAsleepPol

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.