Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oximetry Pulse Relevance?
Oximetry Pulse Relevance?
How relevant is the pulse portion of oximetry data? 

I have two overnight oximetry reports I made. The oxygen portion is a svelte 1 or 2 events per hour but the pulse rate portion has 20+ events per hour. 

The reason I think the pulse is relevant is that my polysomnography reports show around 15 to 25 spontaneous arousals per hour and that number matches up too well with the pulse rate events. I think the pulse fluctuations may be related to my excessive daytime sleepiness but none of the doctors I've seen know anything about it.

Some background about me, I have mild sleep apnea, around 7-9 AHI without CPAP. I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy type 1 on November 2017. I finally got my CPAP just two weeks ago and I'm as tired as ever.  I've been averaging about 4 AHI since I got the CPAP so I'm aware I have some more fiddling to do with it. The oximetry reports I did were also before I had the CPAP. 

Oximetry: https://imgur.com/a/MuZg8

Polysomnography 2014: https://imgur.com/a/2TfLr

Polysomnography 2017: https://imgur.com/a/n09sY

CPAP Titration 2017: https://imgur.com/a/0GRoh
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oximetry Pulse Relevance?
If you are still having events, your pulse generally will go up during those events, so your assumption is probably correct. You likely need to raise your pressure. I suggest .2 every 3-4 days. Slower is better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah I know the body's pulse will increase when it has a breathing event. What I was trying to say is that my pulse rate has events way more often than I have breathing events. Maybe a sleep  apnea forum is the wrong place to ask the question, what else could cause pulse rate events?

As for raising pressure to lower events further, I'm not sure what to do. My AHI was 60/hr in my CPAP titration at 10 cmH2O compared to an AHI of 0 at 8 cmH2O.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know about your original question about the pulse oximeter but you're right about not increasing your pressure to reduce the AHI
The majority of your apnea events during your titration study were centrals when the pressure was increased. This happens in about 15% of people who go on CPAP. In the majority of the 15%, the centrals subside within a couple of months. That is what happened to me. If you are going to adjust pressures, I would suggest going slowly down. Give it time, your AHI will improve.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you suffer from centrals, keep an eye that they do not increase with pressure.
Take it very slow increasing pressure, even just 1 at a time, see if any centrals increase, if they go down after a few days that;s fine.
If they don't seek advice before going further.

What causes your pulse to race during sleep, depends what you are dreaming about.
Even when you prepare to move in your sleep your pulse can rise, but not by huge amounts.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 17 1,546 04-13-2024, 12:31 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Added an O2/Pulse meter to my therapy: Phaleronic 21 698 04-04-2024, 11:21 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 28,044 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 257 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
Question [Symptoms] Transitional CSA - oximetry freaking me out. How low is too low? Apprenticepragmatist 8 792 02-27-2024, 09:29 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 782 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 283 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.