Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oximetry report - data interpretation
Oximetry report - data interpretation
One of the primary observations in my sleep study was blood oxygen "desaturation events." There were actually more desaturation events and than apnea events.

That said, I decided that it would be wise to purchase a pulse oximeter, specifically the Innovo CMS 50F, which is fortunately compatible with Sleepyhead as well. In this case, though, I actually found the native software for the oximeter to be more didactic.

I have attached a report from last night and am wondering if there are any oximetry analysis experts out there who would like to assess it for me? I also attached a screenshot from Sleepyhead, in case anyone prefers that view.

It looks to me like I still have a significant issue with oxygen desaturation events, which would explain that despite my having successful CPAP treatment from the standpoint of my typical AHI (<1), I still often feel pretty tired in the morning. Unfortunately I have no baseline prior to CPAP treatment so I'm not sure if my oxygen levels have improved. I might try sleeping without CPAP one night just for comparison, but not sure when.

Is there anyone willing to take a shot? Of course I understand that you are not an MD and cannot diagnose any disease. Just looking for an educated opinion. Smile

Thanks in advance!

[attachment=2037]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oximetry report - data interpretation
Aww, c'mon folks! I know amongst all the smart, well informed users out there, there is an oximetry genius lurking. Come forward!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll put my two cents in here. One day does not make a trend. You need to observe your SpO2 levels for a week or longer to get an accurate picture. With that said, remember that the CMS-50 accuracy is (was) +/- 2%. Also, I have one finger probe that records 1% lower than the other. I'd recommend that you establish a theoretical baseline by recording a time period while you are awake. The last thing I'd recommend is to get a reading from your doctor's oximeter for data correlation.

Good luck.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2016, 10:51 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: I'll put my two cents in here. One day does not make a trend. You need to observe your SpO2 levels for a week or longer to get an accurate picture. With that said, remember that the CMS-50 accuracy is (was) +/- 2%. Also, I have one finger probe that records 1% lower than the other. I'd recommend that you establish a theoretical baseline by recording a time period while you are awake. The last thing I'd recommend is to get a reading from your doctor's oximeter for data correlation.

Good luck.

Point taken.. Night 2 actually looked much different (see below), although I used my middle finger instead of index - so now I don't know if that changed the readings.

Post Reply Post Reply
Since we tend to use our index finger for many things (I'll let you use your imagination), the data seems to be more stable and accurate using the middle finger. While the descriptive data includes them, you can disregard the spikes (artifacts) and look at the overall waveform geometry for a better picture of what's happening. I think that each point is a 6 second snapshot, so it has to be taken with a grain of salt.

You're off to a good start.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Look at the data and at the SH data together. Are you having events at the time the O2 dips?

Overall, it is not that bad. Yes, you did below 92 but not that often and not for long.

Compare the two data and see what is happening during both.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2016, 02:19 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Look at the data and at the SH data together. Are you having events at the time the O2 dips?

Overall, it is not that bad. Yes, you did below 92 but not that often and not for long.

Compare the two data and see what is happening during both.

Thanks so much for the feedback, Paula! I have not looked at CPAP and the oximetry data in tandem yet. I do a weekly data upload on my work computer every Friday, but one of the charms of using this oximeter is that the data upload must be daily. Even though it stores 24 hours worth of data, it only stores one session at a time. So, I'm compiling a week's worth of oximetry data and then I'll add the CPAP data on Fri.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also do a daytime O2 check. Several times a day. While resting, while active. Before and after exercise or whatever. The sleeping O2 needs a reference. If your normal O2 is low, then dips aren't unexpected. And you'll know this is something to discuss with your physician.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2016, 02:35 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Also do a daytime O2 check. Several times a day. While resting, while active. Before and after exercise or whatever. The sleeping O2 needs a reference. If your normal O2 is low, then dips aren't unexpected. And you'll know this is something to discuss with your physician.

Normal for me while awake and active is >95%, pretty consistently. So, I am looking at some level of SP02 depression while lying down and/or sleeping, which seems to be fairly common according to my research thus far. It looks like as long as I'm averaging >88% while sleeping, doctors will not prescribe supplemental oxygen. I'm still somewhat young, but I might be looking at that in the future. Hoping my gradual weight reduction will help take some of the burden off my respiratory system.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeping O2 should be about 90 to 92. Dips lower than that are not too concerning. It is when it goes that low and stays there, that's a sign of a problem. Or when the daytime O2 is lowering as well. My guess is you are having clusters of events at about the same time as the dips. For some people, it does not take much.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  APAP Trial - First Night's Results - Interpretation? Juicy 9 4,178 03-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
Smile How is my OSCAR data looking? Help with interpretation deirdrepen 3 228 02-29-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Abnormal report - me or machine Anthony2L 1 171 02-29-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] Transitional CSA - oximetry freaking me out. How low is too low? Apprenticepragmatist 8 732 02-27-2024, 09:29 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent sleep - OSCAR interpretation dadjackets 2 267 02-21-2024, 11:58 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.