Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oxycodone, PLMS, PLMD, AHI, Oxy Sat, etc..
Oxycodone, PLMS, PLMD, AHI, Oxy Sat, etc..
Hi all. I meet with a neurologist tomorrow to discuss the overall treatment plan for, until recently, Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (PLMD). A recent PSG (sleep study) determined that the  movements don’t meet the strict but tentative criteria for PLMD. My new diagnosis is likely Nocturnal Myoclonus, NOS (severe)

I have chronic back pain (5 surgeries, 2 fusions) that, without significant pain relief, will wake me every night and it usually takes 1-3hrs to fall back to sleep depending on pain relief.

I also have severe but well-treated sleep apnea with APAP treatment (AHI consistently <3). Opioids are known CNS depressants, increasing AHI due to respiratory depression.

Oxycodone has been effective in treating both the movements and pain in the distant past but have only been taking it to control pain recently. The movements are out-of-control currently (last 8 months) and I have severe, even profound, EDS and depression due to sleep-deprivation. An increase of bedtime Oxycodone would likely help decrease the movements but respiratory depression is a concern.

So, I’d like to go into appt tomorrow with good info when this issue comes up. What I’m wondering is if anyone has access to good research about the respiratory effects of oral oxycodone, especially on AHI and/or blood oxygen levels?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oxycodone, PLMS, PLMD, AHI, Oxy Sat, etc..
Sounds like difficult times.
I hope you get some good answers from the neurologist tomorrow.
I briefly searched pubmed and couldn't find anything but it might be worth looking deeper there. You are correct that oxycodone leads to respiratory depression. Adding that to sleep apnea has the potential to lead to a very poor outcome.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oxycodone, PLMS, PLMD, AHI, Oxy Sat, etc..
Not sure if this will help or not...

This published article is not specific to Oxy, but the effects of opioids on the lungs in general:
https://link.springer.com/article/10.100...013-8373-z

The few rare times I had to take it I got horrible sleep.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleep Study Review - Missed PLMS? pezhead99 4 333 01-22-2024, 08:27 PM
Last Post: WhyMe
  Can Mild OSA (AHI of 9) + Severe PLMD be Responsible for severe symptoms? gohoos1998 14 884 11-18-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  PSG - Mild OSA and Severe PLMD gohoos1998 10 905 09-28-2023, 09:34 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  CPAP indicators of PLMD, O2 Ring Cam12 20 1,561 09-27-2023, 08:40 AM
Last Post: Sleepy Quixote
  UARS/FL (PLMS): Yellow/R Lights For So Many Lingering Folks_“Is Bilevel the Answer?" mper6794 107 16,125 06-22-2023, 06:36 PM
Last Post: emmylouwho
  Searching for successful treatment of PLMD Sleepcycle 2 553 05-24-2023, 09:57 AM
Last Post: sttebr
  any PLMs device I could integrate with OSCAR? verysincere 1 464 05-16-2023, 10:56 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.