Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oxygen Levels Asleep/Awake
Oxygen Levels Asleep/Awake
Hey everyone. :grin:

I wake up here and there throughout the night and my oxygen levels average 93; sometimes, 92. But my oxygen when awake throughout the day averages 93.

I can see it dropping to 93 in the night, but 93 throughout the day? Isn't that a low average?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oxygen Levels Asleep/Awake
(04-25-2015, 02:15 PM)Nirvana Wrote: Hey everyone. :grin:

I wake up here and there throughout the night and my oxygen levels average 93; sometimes, 92. But my oxygen when awake throughout the day averages 93.

I can see it dropping to 93 in the night, but 93 throughout the day? Isn't that a low average?

Do you know your meter to be accurate?

I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it's accurate. I remember going to the hospital a few times, when sick, and it ran around 93, too.

Post Reply Post Reply
There are several reasons that I can think of that could be causing your O2 average to drop. Your breathing may slow while asleep causing a slight decrease in your O2 levels or some medications, or even your humidity setting on the CPAP. I'm the type that requires a certain amount of humidity or, if too dry, this will cause mucus to develop in my lungs, reducing my O2.

I hope this may help.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Was there ever a COPD diagnosis?

Were you ever a smoker? Fireman?

What is your treated AHI? Your CI?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2015, 04:15 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: Was there ever a COPD diagnosis?

Were you ever a smoker? Fireman?

What is your treated AHI? Your CI?

No, to the first 3 questions. Don't know about the last 2.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are several reasons waking sO2sats can be as low as 93 - slow respiration, deviated septum, inefficient oxygen exchange (usually due to lung obstructions, such as phlegm), nasal polyps, mouth breathing (less efficient than nose breathing) etc, etc, etc - for the most part it is nothing to worry about - try using the fingerling on various fingers to see if the levels remain constant on each finger, make sure the sensor is correctly placed over the fingernail and directly under centre of the whorls of your fingerprint (the little spiral in the middle of your fingerprint) and that the fingers, nails etc are clean and the fingertips uncalloused (the thicker the obstruction, the less accurate the reading will be) and let it settle for a minute once you have put it on the finger. Take several fast deep breaths and see if that alters the levels of the sO2sat.

On the whole, if there are no heart or major lung problems, a rate of 93 is not all that bad and nothing to worry about. Ideally, when physically active enough to speed up the heart rate, you should see it rise to 96 or 97.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2015, 04:28 PM)DocWils Wrote: Take several fast deep breaths and see if that alters the levels of the sO2sat.

I just put on my O2 meter and it was 94. I took 5 fast deep breathes and it went up to 98 for a minute. I got dizzy, though.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, sounds fine - any wheezing or so? If so, then see your gp and ask for him to give your lungs and heart a listen. Same if you felt a pressure in your chest - the dizziness itself is not indicative of much except hyperventilation, so no worries there in and of itself. If you get breathless walking up a mild hill or dizzy going up stairs, then yep, see your doc. However, I am assuming that before they put a CPAP on you they did all the normal heart and lung tests anyway, but if not, as I said, if you show any signs of problems other than an sO2sat count of 93% after some exertion, then consider seeing your doc.
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't have any wheezing. I've never had my lungs checked, but I went to a cardiologist. They did an ultrasound, EKG, stress test. They said I'm out of shape and need to exercise, but didn't seem concerned with the heart itself. If anything, it could be a lung issue.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 152 4 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,609 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 269 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 835 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,871 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 138 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 679 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.