Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oxygen Levels Asleep/Awake
RE: Oxygen Levels Asleep/Awake
Maybe, but they would also have suspected it if it was - when they listened to your heart with the stethoscope they also would have heard a bit of the lung (not much, but if there was any overt crackling, they would have picked it up - cardiac stethos are pretty sensitive). No wheezing, no heavy chest, probably nothing to concern yourself with, but if you want to, and can afford it, your gp can take a quick gander and listen for any noise that would indicate any problems there, and have a look up your nose and down your throat to see if there is anything there, if it hasn't been done already. Most likely there is nothing too much wrong, outside of normal problems (nasal polyps, etc), and as I said, especially if you are out of shape, getting dizzy from hyperventilating is nothing to be concerned with. So long as your active sO2sat when moving around or so is in the 95% range or so, you are perfectly fine. Even 93% is within the norms and not life threatening or life shortening. So, relax a bit, and if you still feel bothered and have the dosh, then follow it up with your gp. If your heart already checked out, then I doubt they'll find much beyond what I suggested. None of it dangerous in any way - at most, inconvenient.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Doc. Makes me feel better.

Post Reply Post Reply
Ah, the medical art of reassurance! Thanks from all of us DocWils. I look forward to reading your posts because they are so informative!
Post Reply Post Reply
I think one thing left out of this conversation is Hypoventilation Syndrome.
(Sometimes called Pickwickian syndrome.)
It's when central obesity interferes with the ability of the diaphragm to move.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity_hyp...n_syndrome
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Nah, this doesn't fall under Pickwick's (they use that to trick up medical students, btw) most likely. Also, it would have been caught during his work-up. It is within the norms to be at 93% especially when overweight - it should rise after a year or so of treatment, and with weight loss.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2015, 04:32 AM)DocWils Wrote: Nah, this doesn't fall under Pickwick's (they use that to trick up medical students, btw) most likely. Also, it would have been caught during his work-up. It is within the norms to be at 93% especially when overweight - it should rise after a year or so of treatment, and with weight loss.

Atelectasis ?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I'm on safe ground to say if you are safe to do so the best thing you can do for yourself is go for a walk. Even when I feel beat if I can drag myself out and go for a walk (or the dogs insist) I feel better and an evening walk helps me get to sleep quicker.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2015, 08:24 AM)justMongo Wrote:
(04-26-2015, 04:32 AM)DocWils Wrote: Nah, this doesn't fall under Pickwick's (they use that to trick up medical students, btw) most likely. Also, it would have been caught during his work-up. It is within the norms to be at 93% especially when overweight - it should rise after a year or so of treatment, and with weight loss.

Atelectasis ?

Jaein, kindofa stretch a bit. You COULD present with a simple lowered sO2sat but at the stated level (93%0 it would be extremely localised and minor - it sort of falls under the section where I mentioned mucous blockage in the lungs, since, barring any major trauma, it is rare enough but easily spotted during most normal examinations - obviously an x-ray will show it up, but so will an good palpitation of the chest (the thumping we do sometimes) and again, if the patient is wheezing or so. Most of these are relatively temporary when not caused by trauma or from chronic conditions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Normal saturation is 97-98. An 85 is equal to venous blood. So 93 is considered low. May be due to your activity during the day - might be sedentary and breathing slow and shallow. Might be related to COPD. I would certainly discuss it with your doc. If it gets to be below 92 routinely, it's time to talk to your doc about getting oxygen. (just my opinion).

I wake up here and there throughout the night and my oxygen levels average 93; sometimes, 92. But my oxygen when awake throughout the day averages 93.

I can see it dropping to 93 in the night, but 93 throughout the day? Isn't that a low average?
[/quote]

Post Reply Post Reply
Well, yes, low, but not all that unusual, and within the safe norms. It SHOULD be higher, but there are so many factors that may hinder that I just don't know if I have the time to list them. At this point, unless you suspect that it is something hindering your oxygen exchange, then don't worry too much - often it is just how you breath when at rest and nothing more - it can even be simply that you have too thick callousing on your finger, hindering the reading. If you do several deep breaths and it STILL stays at 93 after trying it out on several fingers, then there may be a problem. Of if doing those breaths makes your chest feel heavy or tight.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 168 Yesterday, 12:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,619 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 273 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 837 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,874 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 140 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 686 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.