Oxygen Monitor at Home/Sleep Study at Home?
Clearskiesaustin Offline

Members

Machine: S8 Escape ii
Mask Type: Hybrid
Mask Make & Model: Mirage liberty
Humidifier: Unsure
CPAP Pressure: 6
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
Oxygen Monitor at Home/Sleep Study at Home?
Is it possible to buy a gadget that monitors oxygen at home? During my sleep studies, they had that thing on my finger. However, since I only slept 208 minutes during my sleep study because it was loud, I wanted to check my oxygen levels overnight at home. Is there a way to monitor my pressure at home?

My oxygen was 91% without the cpap for 208 minutes of sleep over the course of 8 hours. I would think it would be worse st home since I sleep 8 hours at home. My oxygen was 92% during my titration, and I did not sleep a lot then, either. Are those low enough to cause attention and mild memory issues? I thought my doctor said my oxygen was fine on my titration, but 92% I believe is still slightly low.
02-26-2015 05:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Crimson Nape Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: P-10 / F&P Simplus / DreamWear
Humidifier: H5i w/Climateline
CPAP Pressure: 8 - EPR 3
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CMS-50F & 50IW

Sex: Male

RE: Oxygen Monitor at Home/Sleep Study at Home?
(02-26-2015 05:05 PM)Clearskiesaustin Wrote:  Is it possible to buy a gadget that monitors oxygen at home? During my sleep studies, they had that thing on my finger. However, since I only slept 208 minutes during my sleep study because it was loud, I wanted to check my oxygen levels overnight at home. Is there a way to monitor my pressure at home?

Yes, There are several recording style oximeters. Most carry a designation of CMS-50D+, 50F, or 50I. Each one is a little different. The D+ is a finger only model that doesn't record the time. The 50F & I are a watch like unit with a finger probe. They both record the time along with the O2 and BP data. The F will only record 1 session to memory. The I will record up to 15 sessions and records perfusion index data as well. Just google any of those designations.

Statistics prove that people who have more birthdays live longer.
02-26-2015 05:29 PM
Clearskiesaustin Offline

Members

Machine: S8 Escape ii
Mask Type: Hybrid
Mask Make & Model: Mirage liberty
Humidifier: Unsure
CPAP Pressure: 6
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
Thank you!!!
02-26-2015 05:31 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

Sex: Male

and you memory and fuzzy head are a product of the lack of sleep, is related in a way to the body's reaction to your apneas, even though the O2 level did not get low enough to cause cell damage (at least by literature I have read).

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
02-26-2015 06:37 PM
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

A pulseox may give you a good indication you have sleep apnea, but you can have sleep apnea and not have it show up on a pulseox.

Some people have apneas, but wake up enough to stop the apnea before their blood O2 levels drop.

What you look for on a pulseox test is short term drops in SpO2, not a low level all night long.

You need a good recording pulseox. If you go for the CMS-50D+, the "plus" is critical. There's a CMS-50D that doesn't record, so it's not useful for a sleep apnea check.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
02-26-2015 08:20 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sleep latency -study results Dagmar 1 76 Yesterday 10:04 PM
Last Post: chill
  new to cpap and oxygen worried 8 240 12-02-2016 05:53 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Can home care provider make our machine unusable? LPN2012 10 382 12-01-2016 05:22 AM
Last Post: LPN2012
  [Diagnosis] Waiting for sleep study results...got Pulse Ox in the meanwhile jds2001 10 308 12-01-2016 03:13 AM
  sending sleep study to another doctor's office sleepytimegal 3 236 11-30-2016 10:26 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Accuracy of Resmed AS10 vs Sleep Study Type IMSleeplessInSeattle 5 446 11-28-2016 12:11 AM
Last Post: sleepytimegal
  Pulse Oxygen Sensor muddywaters 6 330 11-27-2016 07:23 PM