Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oxygen level meter
Oxygen level meter
My gp doctor ordered an oxygen level test for me to be taken @ home. It was delivered today. I read the instructions and it's pretty simple. 

I wear it all night while on my CPAP and note the result in the morning. I've never had a test like this, other than maybe in a doctor's office when they took my vitals. 

It's a Virtuox Wrist Ox II Patient Self-Administered Overnight Oximetry meter. I put it on while watching a bit of tv and my reading was 93, with a heart-rate of 72. 

I'm going to assume that will change once I'm asleep. I was relating to my doctor that I was still feeling tired and worn after almost two years of CPAP therapy. He suggested the Oxy meter. 

What is considered to be a normal reading? Is this something I should keep a routine eye on from here on in? Or.....is it just a simple indication of things that need to be checked occasionally?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oxygen level meter
Numbers of 95 to 100 are good anything 90 is ok. Prolonged lower 80 high 70s you will be given o2 to put into the Cpap machine. I have been on O2 at night for about 15 years. If that happens you will get a home O2 concentrator. Not a big deal at all BUT if you must be on it it becomes a problem traveling because the machine is about 70lbs and larger than a suitcase.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2020, 09:13 PM)staceyburke Wrote: Numbers of 95 to 100 are good anything 90 is ok. Prolonged lower 80 high 70s you will be given o2 to put into the Cpap machine. I have been on O2 at night for about 15 years. If that happens you will get a home O2 concentrator. Not a big deal at all BUT if you must be on it it becomes a problem traveling because the machine is about 70lbs and larger than a suitcase.

Thank-you for your response. Will the reading vary a lot during the night? I don't know if the meter they gave me to use, tracks thru-out the night, or just tracks the current reading.  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
It will record the entire night. You won’t know anything until you take it back and they download the data and then send it to the Dr. Don’t expect answers for 2 to 4 days. I have been posting my OSCAR with my O2 readings if you want to see what it looks like. The software they use will give the Dr the entire night and highlight any problem periods of time.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks once again! No need to post anything though.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW if my oxy level goes to 92 or less, I can feel a difference and can tell even before my pulse ox meter registers the numbers. My oxy is affected by my COPD or the heart PVCs that cause palpitations and reduced heart efficiency. I'd think you should be OK at that 93 you mentioned or above. Obviously below 89 for 5 minutes means they're hooking you up to POC.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Before taking the meter off my wrist this morning, I looked at it, and it said 95.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine's in the mid 90s most of the time FWIW.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That number is only what your O2 level was when you looked at it nothing more. Again they will down load the entire night and report to the Dr.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2020, 10:33 AM)staceyburke Wrote: That number is only what your O2 level was when you looked at it nothing more. Again they will down load the entire night and report to the Dr.

Understood! 

I was just curious as to the reading. I'm just relieved that it didn't read 70.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bi-Level Help, Prisma 25ST Macka 0 85 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,010 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 466 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 588 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 156 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 679 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  AirMini with Oxygen darral.freund 2 924 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: darral.freund

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.