Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oxygen level
Oxygen level
I was experimenting with a non-prescription mandular advancement device and I felt I had good results. In order to get some real data, I bought a cheap O2 reader at walgreens. It does not hook to computer, nor does it remember readings.

So, I always had high O2 concentration(95-98%) when I woke up, sometimes from having a dream, or needing to go pee..

To me , this seemed like a good sign, but someone on another board said the O2 levels recover very quickly after an apnea event, so the readings ar not meaningful.

I don't think I believe that. Your finger is a long way from your heart and lots of O2 has to transfer to blood to change the saturation. Also, if the levels change so fast, why does the nurse check my O2 from the fingertip? She says they do that for all apnea patients.

Any body have any verifiable information on this?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oxygen level
If it is not recording, then what you are doing is, basically, useless. You can test this easily. Put on the device and hold your breath. It will take roughly 10 seconds or less for the oximeter to show a drop in O2, probably takes longer than you can hold your breath. But watch how quickly it comes back up.

So unless someone is sitting there looking at it while you are sleeping, it is not doing you any good.

An apnea event is classified as an event if it lasts for at least 10 seconds or longer. But not everyone who has sleep apnea will have their blood oxygen drop. Some people, it drops slowly over time. Others, it drops like a rock with each event. Some, a little of both.

Supplier #19 (link to suppliers list at top of every page) has oximeters at cheap prices. A lot of us have the CMS 50D+. It is cheap, cheaply made, but does what it needs to do.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...2_software

Once you get the recording oximeter, you will need to do a baseline. First, spend a night (preferably more) without the mandibular device but wear the oximeter. Now you know a random night's worth. One night is not a trend and it really won't tell you much but it is better than nothing which is what you have now. Then wear both devices for several nights.

For the nurse to say they use the finger tip for all "apnea patients" is odd because they use the finger tip for all patients, apnea diagnosis or not.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
As Paula (and apparently others) have said, the readings you get when you wake up are worthless.

I'm sure others who have used a recording oximeter extensively can corroborate this - one very rarely consciously awakens during O2 desaturation in enough time to take a reading before the SpO2 has recovered.

Desaturation events generally occur throughout the night when one has no memory of waking arousal. When desaturation does cause arousal to the point of waking consciousness, SpO2 usually normalizes during the waking process and has returned to baseline by the time one realizes he/she is awake.

To get any useful oximetry readings you will need a recording oximeter. It doesn't have to be fancy, expensive or particularly high quality; but, it does have to record while you sleep.

Google "Contec recording oximeter" to see a brand that has some affordable models or just google "recording oximeter" to check out your options. I think Walgreens carries a recording model too, but you'll probably save a little money on-line.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bobtreu,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, After having an xPAP machine for 12+years I just recently purchased a CMS50F recording Oximeter, which includes software to create reports like this sample which can show you how fast my O2 level can bounce around. It also offers the ability to set off an alarm if your O2 drops too low/high, pulse too low/high and so on.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Paula is correct and I can say from actual experience with my logging oximeter that
by the time you wake up the event has already passed.
That is how I was able to tell how bad I was doing while asleep when I first became supicious of having apnea.
Start out with the right equipment. It wont be cheap but you don't need to go overboard either.
Give your Walmart device to a jogger so they can check on their oxygen debt because that's what it is good for.
Wink
Now I have been on APAP a bit more than a year and I also use a dental appliance as well.
(You probably didn't want to hear that, did you...)

Good Luck and keep trying!

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, maybe i'm a sucker. I did a search on Amazon for that model of recording oximeter. It found a different one, but it does record and uses the SP02 software. It seemed to have pretty high reviews from 31 people, but those could be fake. It was only $50 so I ordered one. Nice thing about buying on Amazon, if it sucks, it's very easy to return. Go ahead, call me stupid. Hey Paula, maybe I could wear one of those anti-dumbazz tshirts wrong side out?

The one I found is an AH-50D. I triple checked and it comes with a USB cable and software, and specifies that it does record.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2013, 02:12 PM)drgrimes Wrote: OK, maybe i'm a sucker. I did a search on Amazon for that model of recording oximeter. It found a different one, but it does record and uses the SP02 software. It seemed to have pretty high reviews from 31 people, but those could be fake. It was only $50 so I ordered one. Nice thing about buying on Amazon, if it sucks, it's very easy to return. Go ahead, call me stupid. Hey Paula, maybe I could wear one of those anti-dumbazz tshirts wrong side out?

The one I found is an AH-50D. I triple checked and it comes with a USB cable and software, and specifies that it does record.
Good luck if you can keep that on your finger over night. Advise getting one with the wristwatch configuration and separate probe, also USB rechargeable. Still not that expensive.

Post Reply Post Reply
Don, you are probably right. I may end up wishing I had the wrist one. I had to laugh when I read the description, saying something about an external probe....I thought where does that go? LOL

Actually during my sleep test they put an oximeter on me that was on the finger. It was a little uncomfortable, but I did manage to fall asleep. They told me if it bothered me to just change fingers.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the CMS-50D+. Very cheap model. Practically have to put it back together each time I use it. But it works for what I want it to do. Someday I'll get around to getting one of the wrist models but keeping track of my O2 at night is low on my priority list. Mine doesn't drop that much during an event but lowers more over time. The lowest it got during my sleep test was 86. The lowest it got here at home was 78 I think.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bi-Level Help, Prisma 25ST Macka 0 85 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,011 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 466 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 588 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 156 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 679 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  AirMini with Oxygen darral.freund 2 924 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: darral.freund

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.