Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oxygen levels And sleep apnea.
Oxygen levels And sleep apnea.
Here is my question of the day.

From what I have been reading the drop of oxygen during a sleep apnea event IS the main problem and the main killer.

IS that correct??

And what is OK and what is OH MY GOD levels…

It seems to me keeping your blood O2 levels up in the main concern, it seems to be what we really need to watch.

Again am I correct?

Rich

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oxygen levels And sleep apnea.
Bingo!

Keep that O2 above 89%!

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2013, 01:20 PM)racprops Wrote: It seems to me keeping your blood O2 levels up in the main concern, it seems to be what we really need to watch.

Again am I correct?

Rich
Good question
Good O2 does not tell you whether the therapy or set pressure is optimal
Lower pressure can normalize O2 but not fix sleep
Optimal pressure fix both O2 and sleep

I've read somewhere but cannot find the source this morning ... apnea not always associated with O2 desat

Post Reply Post Reply
O2 level is important, but also when you have an apnea event, I believe your body reacts somewhat violently by giving a jolt of adrenaline to your system to restart the breathing after an event... that jolt is bad for your heart too.

From a major health website:

Quote:

Body mechanisms

When a person has sleep apnea, several changes in the body occur that directly affect the cardiovascular system.

• Sympathetic activation -- Sleep apnea revs up the sympathetic nervous system, causing it to release more adrenalin and epinephrine than usual. This stresses the cardiovascular system, increasing heart rate and blood pressure.

• Endothelial dysfunction -- Decreases in oxygen damage the endothelial lining in the blood vessels, causing them to constrict and fail to dilate. “The lining of the blood vessel becomes damaged and broken down, causing the cholesterol and fatty substances to sit there on the endothelium and leading to the plaque formation of coronary artery disease,” Dr. Mahadevia says.

• Inflammation -- Lack of oxygen due to sleep apnea releases inflammatory chemicals in the body. Among the chemicals is C-reactive protein, which causes inflammation in the blood vessels. “If you have high C-reactive protein, you’re more likely to have coronary artery disease,” Dr. Mahadevia says.

• Oxidative Stress --Nocturnal drops in oxygen during sleep increase the release of superoxides from the blood cells, which is damaging to the cardiovascular system. That level is reduced with continuous positive airway pressure.

• Metabolic -- Metabolic syndrome is a cluster of conditions — increased blood pressure, a high blood sugar level, excess body fat around the waist or abnormal cholesterol levels — that occur together, increasing the risk of heart disease, stroke and diabetes. Studies show that people with sleep apnea have abnormal metabolic markers that cause obesity and insulin resistance. Patients with sleep apnea also have high levels of leptin, which has been associated with weight gain.

• Changes in intrathoracic pressure -- Upper airway obstruction due to sleep apnea affects the mechanics of the heart. The chest struggles to expand to open up the airway. This causes negative pressure inside the chest and affects the cardiovascular system.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks supersleeper
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2013, 06:34 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: From a major health website:
I had to find the source, when found the source than realized why links to the source has not been provided Thinking-about Coffee

Post Reply Post Reply
WHY?

(04-24-2013, 07:42 PM)zonk Wrote:
(04-24-2013, 06:34 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: From a major health website:
I had to find the source, when found the source than realized why links to the source has not been provided Thinking-about Coffee

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 249 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 359 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 618 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 296 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 133 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,619 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.