Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Slight aerophagia? Leading to gerd induced chronic cough
Slight aerophagia? Leading to gerd induced chronic cough
Hi all, hope you guys can help me out here.

In 2019, about 1 year after I started using CPAP, I was hospitalised for a high fever and persistent dry cough.
Long story short, it was viral, but the cough persisted.
All this while, I would wake up feeling bloated (but not in pain) and over the next 1 or 2 hours, whatever gas was in me would pass out either upwards or downwards.
The cough, however, was terrible. 

Only after chancing upon an article about cough being one of the side effects of GERD did I suspect that maybe my aerophagia was kind of keeping my stomach sphincter open and causing my stomach acid to aerosolize and get inhaled into my lungs, causing this chronic cough.

I started on Nexium PPIs, and the cough subsided.

I have been on Nexium on and off for the past couple of years, but now trying to find ways to wean myself off it, since googling "long term effects of Nexium" brings up various articles about kidney damage etc.

I reduced the dose gradually until I completely stopped it, but after about 2 weeks, the cough returned and returned quite badly.  I have restarted Nexium again for the past week, and my cough is now gone again.

Does anyone have any advice?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Slight aerophagia? Leading to gerd induced chronic cough
I don't have advice on the medication, but a few things I do because of GERD. I try lying on my left side with the head of the bed elevated somewhat.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dave.

Anyone else got anything?
Post Reply Post Reply
Were you ever diagnosed with silent LPR (Laryngopharyngeal Reflux)?
Post Reply Post Reply
No... But based on googling what it is... It seems likely that it's what I'm dealing with. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
For those with LPR, proton pump inhibitors (including Nexium) or acid reducing medication help to treat it.  Lifestyle modifications can help...such as sleeping on an incline, sleeping on the left side, and not eating 2 hours before bedtime.  Have you checked in with your doctor?
Post Reply Post Reply
Planning to check it out with a gastro after the situation here cools down a little.
For a small country with just under 32m ppl, we are getting over 20k new cases per day, with about 300+ deaths daily.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aerophagia Help - I've tried everything soozgrrl 2 65 Yesterday, 03:48 PM
Last Post: soozgrrl
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 13 644 04-14-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross Aerophagia Pressure Help! ToddAO 2 125 04-07-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Drug induced sleep endoscopy Jimasripper 5 139 04-04-2024, 08:48 AM
  Covid Induced CA (Potentially) + UARS, Looking for Help with ASV Settings zfaulk 25 2,238 04-02-2024, 02:25 PM
Last Post: subconscious
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 24 811 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 997 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.