Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

P's Neck (and misc pieces parts)
I was talked into getting an injection. I haven't gotten it yet.

The idea is to get it then wait 3 weeks. 1 week to let it settle, one week to let it work, then one week to let it continue.

If the pain/symptoms decrease and stays gone, then no surgery is necessary. It is a matter of calming the nerves somehow (probably PT since I won't do any other injections).

If the pain/symptoms decrease and returns or doesn't decrease, then it is finally time for surgery.

The kid, I mean the PA did a great job of explaining everything, something that has not really been done before. I've researched the heck out of this but, you know, it is piecemeal like that. This guy put it into English, answered our questions, and explained it all.

He also hurt me a lot with the range of motion stuff. We discovered I have pretty bad arthritis in my right shoulder. I just figured it was, you know, how I was. Nope. He turned my arm then raised it. POP. POP. SNAP. "We won't go any higher." Ya think, doc?

I couldn't do much with my left hand and arm. I was surprised with that. I mean, I knew it was acting up but when he said "keep me from doing X" and I couldn't? That was creepy. And then he would touch my hand or arm in places and I didn't feel it.

So, we wait for the other place to call with the inj. appt then see the surgeon (who I have seen before 5 yrs ago and didn't like) 3 weeks after that.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-23-2015 02:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

Sex: Female

RE: P's Neck (and misc pieces parts)
Paula,
Just reading this and realizing how much pain you must suffer makes me not want to complain about my arthritis in shoulder and hips.

I used to work with a women who had neck surgery and then a few years later had to get an injection. I can't remember if she had to be put out for that injection or if she was just numbed, but it was an outpatient procedure. It seemed to work for her.

Praying the injection will do its magic!

OpalRose
10-23-2015 06:01 AM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

An injection sounds better than surgery. Hopefully you'll not need the surgery.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-23-2015 07:09 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Wife received a phone call from the PT years ago when she broke her back. Said as I was handing the phone to my wife, "It's the S&M people calling".

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
10-23-2015 10:02 AM
stanleydean Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmart CPAP
Mask Make & Model: Drive Medical Comfort Fit Deluxe
Humidifier: Resmart
CPAP Pressure: 10.5 cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: No downloadable software available for Resmart. Partial data available via icodeconnect.com

Hey Paula,

Hang in there and hopefully you can find the right answer. I believe you said if surgery is the option it might be with a surgeon you do not like. That might be a red flag unless it's just a case of a very good doctor without good social graces. I went down that road for a while but thankfully broke it off before any major issues.

I have had several epidural injections in my lower spine because of stenosis. First couple of series the relief was good, just had my third round of three injections (2-3 weeks apart) with results not as good but it has gotten me about six years further down the road with no surgery. Please don't think I am implying this to be your situation but, as time goes by for me, I realize more and more that getting old definitely ain't for sissies.

Hoping good results for you.
10-23-2015 08:53 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(10-23-2015 02:41 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  I was talked into getting an injection. I haven't gotten it yet.

The idea is to get it then wait 3 weeks. 1 week to let it settle, one week to let it work, then one week to let it continue.

If the pain/symptoms decrease and stays gone, then no surgery is necessary. It is a matter of calming the nerves somehow (probably PT since I won't do any other injections).

If the pain/symptoms decrease and returns or doesn't decrease, then it is finally time for surgery.

The kid, I mean the PA did a great job of explaining everything, something that has not really been done before. I've researched the heck out of this but, you know, it is piecemeal like that. This guy put it into English, answered our questions, and explained it all.

He also hurt me a lot with the range of motion stuff. We discovered I have pretty bad arthritis in my right shoulder. I just figured it was, you know, how I was. Nope. He turned my arm then raised it. POP. POP. SNAP. "We won't go any higher." Ya think, doc?

I couldn't do much with my left hand and arm. I was surprised with that. I mean, I knew it was acting up but when he said "keep me from doing X" and I couldn't? That was creepy. And then he would touch my hand or arm in places and I didn't feel it.

So, we wait for the other place to call with the inj. appt then see the surgeon (who I have seen before 5 yrs ago and didn't like) 3 weeks after that.

If they get the injection right it "can" have some long lasting beneficial effects. I am hoping that is the case for you Paula.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
10-23-2015 09:14 PM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

Paula, without more details I can't comment - injection with what and for what, exactly? If you are referring to your shoulder, is the problem a roughened joint head and was the injection cortisone? The idea of cortisone is to do two things - reduce inflammation and provide a viscous cushion for the joint to move smoothly within. The effect lasts for anywhere from three weeks to six months, depending on multiple factors, but provide enough relief for manual therapy and muscular retraining to alleviate the problem on a longer scale. The caveat is that it weakens tendons and ligaments, however, if you are not a sports person or dancer or some sort of other activity that stresses the joint excessively, it should not be an issue. Findings today show that often, unless the joint head is severely degraded, conservative therapy is often as effective as surgical intervention.

Is your problem with the cutter that he is a bit of an ass? It is a secondary consideration to his ability in the OR, and you should look more into his success rate than his interpersonal skills. Cutters are often socially challenged - they don't have the same sort of interaction with patients that general practitioners have, so never get the practice, nor do some schools or institutions stress bed side manner in their training. So think long and hard about why having him work on you is a problem - if it is his surgical skill and success rate, then all right, find another cutter, but just because he is a berk, less so.

The shoulder is a different type of joint than others in that it is largely supported by the musculature and floats "freely" compared to, say, the hip or knee. That leads to all sorts of problems with age and wear and tear, but it is also because of that a more difficult joint to treat surgically, although most operations tend to be successful, but range of motion restoration is often not as high as with the hip or knee. That said, unless you are doing some ranges of motion that require 100% restoration, which is rare, you will do fine and never notice the difference.

Good luck and keep us posted.
10-25-2015 10:17 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

The injection is to be in the cervical spine. I am not sure where exactly as it is C4 through T1 that are screwed up.

The PA I liked. The surgeon didn't take the time to listen to me 5yrs ago. I need docs that listen. I don't fit into their boxes and cannot be forced, especially when it comes to orthopedic issues. Ehlers-Danlos means the entire body has to be considered. He is one of those docs that get frustrated because I don't fit into his box. And because I was not a surgical candidate, he wasn't interested in figuring it out. If he cannot do so this time, then I will find someone who will. He has to be a good surgeon because of the group he is with but that doesn't mean I won't ask for another one. I wouldn't hesitate to take my car to another mechanic!

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

10-31-2015 04:58 PM
cate1898 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System One 560BT Auto
Mask Make & Model: P10's/backup-DreamWear
Humidifier: PR attached
CPAP Pressure: 8.5 - 13. A-Flex 3

Other Comments: Began CPAP Therapy Sept. 11, 2015. Hx Hypertension, Post Graves Disease, chronic migraines.

Sex: Female

Sorry to hear you are living with such pain Paula. I really hope you get some relief soon one way or another!

APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!! Rolleyes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
11-01-2015 06:11 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

(10-31-2015 04:58 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  The injection is to be in the cervical spine. I am not sure where exactly as it is C4 through T1 that are screwed up.

The PA I liked. The surgeon didn't take the time to listen to me 5yrs ago. I need docs that listen. I don't fit into their boxes and cannot be forced, especially when it comes to orthopedic issues. Ehlers-Danlos means the entire body has to be considered. He is one of those docs that get frustrated because I don't fit into his box. And because I was not a surgical candidate, he wasn't interested in figuring it out. If he cannot do so this time, then I will find someone who will. He has to be a good surgeon because of the group he is with but that doesn't mean I won't ask for another one. I wouldn't hesitate to take my car to another mechanic!

Good luck. Have you considered a good osteopath to help relieve the symptoms?
11-01-2015 01:04 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Electrical Junction Box -- Red Neck Style justMongo 7 180 12-05-2016 09:32 AM
Last Post: justMongo
  Parts is parts mjbearit 0 918 06-07-2012 09:52 AM
Last Post: mjbearit