Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

RE: P's Neck (and misc pieces parts)
I had severe muscle contracture which caused the upper T and lower C to be pulled into a rounded hump by the time I was 30. This created severe pain and headaches and even tho I have improved the situation it is a maintenance thing not a cure. Some of the things that help me:
  • Denneroll, Still Point Inducer, 6" Foam roll, 6" foam half roll. First 2 used as directed, half roll placed at T1 and lay over it for 15 min 2x daily. Full roll used later to roll across, letting it slide up and down back. (bonus: also can do hip work on it)
  • regular massage
  • salonpas patches
  • flexeril
  • avoiding allergens. found out late in life that a lot of the tetany is caused by allergens. dairy in particular

you have probably been on a search for various relief's for a long time... and ymmv - but i hope you can avoid surgery. neck/back surgery doesn't turn out well for too many.

oh and btw - i have managed to reduce the "hump" to almost nothing (unless my muscles spaz out then it will suddenly return and that is when i hit it with the flexeril!)

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2015 02:01 PM by DariaVader.)
11-01-2015 01:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Sex: Male

I had cortisone injection on right shoulder and another one in the neck between C3 and C4, not much of helps
I suppose degenerative as old age creeping in oldman

Lately, been suffering pain on the left side, between neck and shoulder, painful to move in bed from side to side
Doctor said could be some muscle sprains but haven't been lifting any heavy stuff or exerting myself
11-02-2015 12:24 AM
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

(10-31-2015 04:58 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  The injection is to be in the cervical spine. I am not sure where exactly as it is C4 through T1 that are screwed up.

The PA I liked. The surgeon didn't take the time to listen to me 5yrs ago. I need docs that listen. I don't fit into their boxes and cannot be forced, especially when it comes to orthopedic issues. Ehlers-Danlos means the entire body has to be considered. He is one of those docs that get frustrated because I don't fit into his box. And because I was not a surgical candidate, he wasn't interested in figuring it out. If he cannot do so this time, then I will find someone who will. He has to be a good surgeon because of the group he is with but that doesn't mean I won't ask for another one. I wouldn't hesitate to take my car to another mechanic!

I like your attitude about finding a doctor who will listen to you. I'm sorry you are in pain and I hope whatever course of treatment you choose, that you will have some relief that lasts for a good long while.
11-02-2015 08:35 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Update:

Saw the doc yesterday. Surgery is being scheduled for late January. It will be done through the front.

I cannot stand the surgeon. The visit was less than 5 minutes. He never touched me. Never had me do anything except tilt my head back so he could see my throat. He asked ME if I wanted the surgery. When I asked him if he thought it was time, he said "I never recommend surgery. I leave it up to the patient". In other words, "I don't get the blame if it doesn't work because this was your idea".

So we're going to try to get a second opinion somehow. I KNOW it is time to do the surgery but I really don't like this guy. I kept trying to get him to understand about my main disorder and the hypermobility it causes. I asked if he would be checking out the discs on either side of where he would be. "No. I go in to do what I am to do." I don't want another surgery in a year or two because the idiot didn't peek another few centimeters.

Anyway, that's where it is for now. At least anterior means I don't have to worry about the back strap hitting anything. But now I am concerned about the swelling making my OSA worse. My pressure is already pretty high. They squeeze by the voice box, basically.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
12-19-2015 04:04 AM
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

Paula,
If you are able to, then get a second opinion. It makes it hard to move forward with confidence if you don't like him, but on the other hand, if he is a good surgeon and he knows his stuff...... Dont-know

Wishing you well, keep us posted!

OpalRose
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2015 08:18 AM by OpalRose.)
12-19-2015 08:18 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Electrical Junction Box -- Red Neck Style justMongo 7 189 12-05-2016 09:32 AM
Last Post: justMongo
  Parts is parts mjbearit 0 919 06-07-2012 09:52 AM
Last Post: mjbearit