Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

P10 Pillow Life Increase
RE: P10 Pillow Life Increase
(07-11-2018, 08:26 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I could start a P10 nasal pillow warehouse. I get 2/month and just retire them, but due to their value can't bring myself to throw them away.  I have dozens of these things.

I suspect the web domain NasalPillowWarehouse is available...

You could have big semi-annual sales.

:-)
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2018, 08:26 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I could start a P10 nasal pillow warehouse. I get 2/month and just retire them, but due to their value can't bring myself to throw them away.  I have dozens of these things.

no wonder health insurance is so expensive!  

I'd have to dig out the paperwork to confirm but I think my local dme provider dinged me $85  for the last medium size pillow I bought from them - before I knew better.  even at $25 they're dear for many of us.

in my town there's an organization that collects and gives away mostly used dmequipment and some new stuff like supplies.  probably one in your town too.  

or give 'em away as gifts to people who contribute to apnea board.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't resell consumables, and I do wash the nasal pillows. I get mask replacements on a 6-month interval and 2-cushions per month. I don't always take them, but in my case there is no deductible or copay. I realize my good fortune in this, but don't abuse it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2018, 08:24 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I don't resell consumables, and I do wash the nasal pillows.  I get mask replacements on a 6-month interval and 2-cushions per month.  I don't always take them, but in my case there is no deductible or copay.  I realize my good fortune in this, but don't abuse it.

sorry, obviously I misinterpreted you to mean you had lots of unused pillows in their packages.  the post was meant to be tongue in cheek.  also, I didn't mean to suggest selling them but thought giving away new and unused would be a good thing.  finally, in case it wasn't obvious, my cynical and lame humor was directed at insurance, not your good fortune.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2018, 03:29 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Usually the pillow would start to leak as it wore out. Leaks would increase until you couldn't stop them.  It is like the linear resistance would decay as they got older.  This would occur about 3 months of use.  I found that installing O-rings under each pillow would offset this tension reduction and delay the leaks and increase the usable life considerably .   The new replacement is going on 9 months without any signs of leaking.  It would appear that Resmed has increased the wall thickness of the pillow support that is between the pillow and the pillow body.

I agree with Crimson Nape in that the linear resistance would decay as the pillows get older.  I read a tip from another cpap user about installing O-rings under each pillow would prolong the life of the pillows.  My current set of pillows is 3 months old and still very much usable.  Now, finding the right size O-ring was a challenge because it seems the local home improvement store was always 'out of stock' of the size I wanted.  Finally my husband requested a 'special order' for these frickin' O-rings and all was well.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am having some trouble visualizing how to install the o-ring. Do you need one for each side (just under the flexible tips), or just loop one around the base of the pillows in the channel behind the flexible flap (but this would seem to block the clip holes). Can you give us a size (may depend on pillow size). I assume the o-ring is viton (or rubber?).
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not know how Crimson Nape installed the O-rings on his nasal pillow mask. I have a size Medium mask and I bought a package of two O-rings the appropriate size. My husband measured the diameter of the 'pillow' and I put the O-ring over the top and snugged it down to the base of the pillow. I will admit that it was a little hard for me as I don't have as much hand strength as I could have, but with a bit of determination I got the job done. The O-ring I used is black rubber. We found the O-rings in the plumbing department of our local home improvement store. Our measurements might be labeled differently than yours, so you'll just have to perhaps ask someone at the store for help. If you still have trouble figuring out what size O-ring you need, I have a Medium or a Large pillow as I use both sizes alternately, I could ask my hubby to measure it again for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Intriguing.

I notice that my P10 cushions only last about 4 weeks. After that, they stop sealing so well and they start flaring at the tip that goes in my nostril (which feels uncomfortable).

But I haven't received new ones in a couple months, so it would be interesting to see if newer ones last longer.

What I *really need* is P10 headgear that doesn't get stretched out.
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought an o-ring assortment from Harbor Freight., a U.S. based tool warehouse.  I believe these o-rings are Nitrile.  To prevent any flow restriction, the size was determined by finding an o-ring ID that was a little larger than the support capillary OD, which is oval in shape.  

Here is a snapshot of the P10 with the o-rings installed.

Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2018, 03:42 AM)Hydrangea Wrote: Intriguing.

I notice that my P10 cushions only last about 4 weeks.  After that, they stop sealing so well and they start flaring at the tip that goes in my nostril (which feels uncomfortable).  

But I haven't received new ones in a couple months, so it would be interesting to see if newer ones last longer.

What I *really need* is P10 headgear that doesn't get stretched out.

Hydrangea

I don't know if it is a option for you, but I have two P10 headgear pieces.  One I ordered from Supplier #1 and the other my insurance paid for.  I wash them weekly and put the one needing "refreshing" into a lingerie bag and throw it into the washer and dryer.  The alternate one goes on my mask which gives a better hold since it has been refreshed in the washer/dryer.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do I need to increase my max pressure? Daveman 4 50 35 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 153 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,861 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 398 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,108 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 264 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.