Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

P10 Pillows wearing out?
RE: P10 Pillows wearing out?
When Medicare says it allows for replacement of two nasal pillows per month, are they referring to a set, or to two pairs? Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2015, 06:54 PM)iSnore Wrote: When Medicare says it allows for replacement of two nasal pillows per month, are they referring to a set, or to two pairs? Thanks!

depends on who you talk to. some months they send 2, and others they tell me that the 2 is for 2 nostrils and that some pillows come with separated nostril pieces, and then they only send 1

Big Grin
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
I get 2 sets per month, but not on Medicare though.
Post Reply Post Reply
My DME calls one nasal pillow a set. Crazy Their explanation is that there are two nasal openings, so it's a set.

I don't argue with them, I just pray that they can manage to send them to me at all.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
"nasal pillows" is a singular thingy. If it were a plural thingy, it would be "nasal pillowae"
Post Reply Post Reply
I get to claim a max of $300 per year. My DME set me up "with what I needed to start." And THAT came to $200, after I declined the heated hose. They sell the P10 pillows for $53 each. So at 1 set per month that would be...more than I want to pay. So I orderedthree online from the US at $20 US each. Makes the trip across the border worth it. (grumble)

Player is right, organized crime has taken over the CPAP supplies up here!
Maybe I'll order a few more before I make my trip. I did order up an oximeter.
Post Reply Post Reply
In my experience, the performance of nasal pillows deteriorates after two to three weeks. However, I beg to differ from previous comments made about what changes occur in the pillows. My impression is that the soft nostril inserts become stiffer rather than softer, and that makes it more difficult to get the inserts to seal into the nostrils, and also increases the probability of injury to the inside of the nose. I just changed from month-old pillows to brand new ones and marveled at how gently and completely the pillows sealed into my nose both at bedtime and after a 4 a.m. trip to the bathroom, without using the lanolin product I needed with the older pillows.

My first pillows were soaked every day in warm water with a small amount of baby shampoo, then rinsed, shaken and set to dry. After watching a ResMed video showing how to clean a P10, I changed to washing my second pillows by swishing them around in warm, slightly soapy (baby shampoo) water for about a minute, then rinsing them out, shaking them and setting them to dry. Both methods seem to work equally well, but I prefer the second method because it is over and done with in 3 minutes max. The soaking step does not seem to be necessary. And I wash my pillows every day, even if sometimes I don't get around to it until 5 minutes before bedtime.

I used my first nasal pillows for a month because I had been told by the DME company that "masks" would be replaced every 3 months, and it never even occurred to me that the increasing leakage rate towards the end of the month was a problem with a simple solution. Then I read about pillows being replaced at least once and maybe twice a month, called the DME supplier, and was told that I could have new pillows immediately because of the high leakage rate from the first ones. After another 3 weeks I called again with the same problem and this time was told that I would receive 2 pillows a month BUT the shipping of supplies could not begin until 3 months after I received my first mask. I called back later and argued that, if I needed 2 pillows a month after the first 3 months, I also needed 2 pillows a month during the first 3 months, because there was nothing magical about the original pillows. The person I talked to agreed with me and said she would send me 2 pillows a month if I phoned her each month to request them. She also said she would arrange for the other people I had talked with to be retrained! Now when my head spins I am no longer sure it is from lack of quality sleep. Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2015, 09:58 PM)OpineCone Wrote: She also said she would arrange for the other people I had talked with to be retrained!

Oh-jeez Where do they find the people they hire to answer the phone anyway.... and why oh why can't they just have a website that shows you what your insurance plan covers and what you are eligible for?

Post Reply Post Reply
I am afraid that most companies feel that they must keep their expenses for customer service to a minimum so they do not pay the people dealing with the customers very much and give them a script for the answer to many questions. Not conducive to giving the customer good information on a specific question.

Remember the old days when you called tech support at a computer company and talked to a really sharp person that knew computers backward and forward. Do you find any of that now?

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2015, 11:26 AM)PaytonA Wrote: I am afraid that most companies feel that they must keep their expenses for customer service to a minimum so they do not pay the people dealing with the customers very much and give them a script for the answer to many questions. Not conducive to giving the customer good information on a specific question.

Remember the old days when you called tech support at a computer company and talked to a really sharp person that knew computers backward and forward. Do you find any of that now?

Once upon a time, telling my ISP that my computer at home was linux got me automatically bumped to top level support. Now if you tell them that they say "we don't support linux" and HANGUP before you can say anything else - and that after an hour wait.... so now I lie and tell them I have winders xp Big Grin and lie and say i am performing the steps they prescribe (perform the equivalent on linux if relevant) but my memory of how windows behaves is fading after working > 2yrs at a company that gives out macs... going to have to switch the lie to the mac Big Grin Fortunately, the need to call them is rare these days/

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,763 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 389 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 396 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  Haven't been able to fall asleep wearing biPAP AlgebraicMisery 1 239 02-17-2024, 07:25 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 933 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 483 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  [Symptoms] Waking up with dry mouth with nasal pillows migui0323 3 531 01-05-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.