Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

P10 Vent Rate
P10 Vent Rate
Hi: I recently changed to a Resmed Airfit P10 and I have adjusted very well to a nasal pillow mask from my F10 FFM earlier. My unintentional leaks are less than 2Lpm all night. My AHI is below 0.5 every day and my RERAs have dropped to 0.00 on most days.

My question is this:
My start pressure is 7.5cm H20. At this pressure my P10 mask should vent at a rate of nearly 28Lpm. My sleepyhead graph shows that it only vents at 19L-20L per minute. P10 manual says that its designed vent rate at 4cm h2o is 20Lpm. And some rebreathing may occur at low pressures. So should I be concerned that my mask is venting even less than 20Lpm?

Should I try and increase the vent rate by any creative tricks. I have tried brushing the vents vigorously but it didn't move the vent rate on SH.

The reason I am concerned about this is that even though I may wake up with an AHI of 0.0, I feel like I am not feeling refreshed in the morning.

Thanks.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: P10 Vent Rate
There is no need to do anything to modify the mask. You have a slightly lower vent rate, but if you were rebreathing excess CO2, you would automatically start hyperventilating.

Download the Sleepyhead software http://sleepfiles.com/SH/index.html?
Take a look at your detailed daily sleep data for clues on why you're not refreshed. You can have zero AHI and a high RERA or flow limitations which are very disruptive to good sleep. If you need help interpreting this, you can post the data here and you'll get help. The DS560 does record these events even though they do not show up on your machine's screen.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Regarding vent rates, lets assume a tidal volume of 600 mL per breath and 20 breaths per minute. That would be 12 Liters of air per minute. With a design vent rate of twice that volume, you are not rebreathing any appreciable volume of expired air. I guarantee you do not have anywhere near that tidal volume or respiratory rate during sleep, but you'll have to check your Sleepyhead numbers to know.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do check my RERAs using my PRS1 560 machine on SH 0.9.8.1. I am posting my last night's report and the summary report since I started using P10.

My RERAs are 0.0 on every night except one night.
My pressure doesn't spike too much. Looks like PRS1 just keep doing the hunt and peck all night.
My Flow Limitations have mostly disappeared since going to P10.
My VS and VS2 have greatly reduced.
Most nights, I have 1 or 2 events total.
I am also sleeping more than 7 hrs each night continuously.
So I think I have optimized most of the variables here. So why the feeling not refreshed. Earlier on my F10, I used to have total leaks in 40+Lpm range and my AHI was < 1.5, RERAs were < 1.5 but I was much more fresh in the mornings.

Any insights into what else may be going on. All I can think of is the total leak rate being close to minimum designed for the mask. Should I be looking at anything else (TV, MV, RR?).

Heres my summary report since I started P10
[attachment=1259]

Here is last night graphs
[attachment=1260]

Just saw Sleeprider's comment. My stats for P10 days for
TV: W-Avg: 515ml
MV: W-Avg: 6.9Lpm

Post Reply Post Reply
Data looks excellent...much better than mine. You could chase out the snores with another 0.5 cm pressure but I don't think that your answer lies in machine tweaks or even AHI. You seem to have done as much as possible to clean up sleep apnea and related arousals.

Have you recently had a full wellness exam and done comprehensive blood work including male hormone levels, vitamin D? I got kind of a surprise last summer in that regard, and it explained a lot. Lots of other physical and mental stress can impose on our sense of well-being and energy levels.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I got my blood work done pre-cpap. Everything was in great shape including Vit D, B12, All hormones and all panels.

Looking at the data prior to P10, When I was on F10 FFM, my RDI was averaging 1.1 and I was feeling great all day.
On the P10, my RDI is averaging 0.24 but I am not feeling so great.

After looking at all data points, the leak rate is the only one that is very different. Total Leak rate on F10 used to average 37Lpm. On the P10, its 20.3Lpm.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2015, 08:54 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Regarding vent rates, lets assume a tidal volume of 600 mL per breath and 20 breaths per minute. That would be 12 Liters of air per minute. With a design vent rate of twice that volume, you are not rebreathing any appreciable volume of expired air. I guarantee you do not have anywhere near that tidal volume or respiratory rate during sleep, but you'll have to check your Sleepyhead numbers to know.

That's called minute volume. I run 15 BPM and a TV of 500ml.
My minute volume is 7.5 LPM.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 74 28 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 858 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  flow rate and leak rate question sleepingbetterinFl 0 90 03-21-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.