Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

P10 being dislodged will chinstrap help
P10 being dislodged will chinstrap help
Hi

I'm starting to get very frustrated with leaks caused by me dislodging the P10 mask. The leaks are very large and wake me up which kinda defeats the object of therapy, so on the basis that there is no problem without a solution, I'm hoping that someone can suggest a solution.

I've tried every major mask from pillows to full face and I get better results with the P10 in the main. However I seem to be very active while sleeping and have started to turn over from side to side via my tummy, and I think this is knocking the pillows out.

My latest thoughts are to use a chinstrap over the P10 straps to try to get a firmer anchor so its harder for the pillows to be knocked out of my nares.

Has anyone had any success with this, or are there any other ideas out there that could help?

Thanks
D
Failure is NOT an option.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: P10 being dislodged will chinstrap help
As you surmise, going from left to right side via the tummy is probably creating havoc for the P10. I use the chinstrap under the mask and that seems to help it stay put. But I only go left side to back, then back to left side. I tried the tummy thing once but the miserable cats that we used to have used me as a teeter-totter, so I don't do that anymore.

I like the chinstrap under the mask though because that way if I get up in the night I don't have to take it off, just the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
i anchor mine with my hair. bottom strap under, top strap over. I have trained myself to flop over via the back. a chinstrap under it drives me nuts, so fortunately i have gotten good at making my tongue suction up to the roof of the mouth... if my mouth falls open, i *still* dont leak Big Grin

sometimes i try to use an eyemask, but like the chin strap it bugs me. sometimes i think i need a night niqab. lol.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Eurika,
Besides the chin strap recommendations which do work, I was wondering if you are using the correct size nasal pillows. If they don't fit properly, it could be easier to dislodge them.
You could try a size up or also use a nasal gel to lanolin cream that helps seal them and stay put.
Other than that, you have to train yourself to be more vigilant as to how you are moving around at night.
Dreaming
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I realize you are a guy, but you could try some women's hair clips and clip the straps to your hair to help the strap stay in place.
Post Reply Post Reply
Based off of another post, I put O-rings on my P10 pillows. This has provided extra support under the each pillow that greatly reduces the tendency for them to dislodge when I turn during the night. I also use a hose hanger that acts like a tool balancer and eliminates any weight that would pull on the mask.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had some air leaks when I was using the small pillows, but the mediums are better, so if you haven't tried different size pillows yet you should.

I currently use a Sullivan chinstrap, and although it works I'm not super happy with it. Trying a chin strap over the mask certainly seems reasonable, although I haven't done it that way because it makes it harder to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night (I can just take off the mask now).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question ChinStrap & Data tblaster 2 402 11-28-2023, 10:59 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Trouble getting Knightsbridge chinstrap slowe 9 876 11-27-2023, 03:05 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question [CPAP] AirTouch F20 troubles - nose pillows better? but I snore..chinstrap? Lilaq88 5 852 07-26-2022, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Just FYI [Dreamwear FFM elbow dislodged] David Clark 0 509 04-05-2022, 09:05 PM
Last Post: David Clark
  Unique Cpap chinstrap Ctyankee 1 648 03-31-2022, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Chinstrap recommendations? djhvyc 6 2,000 02-14-2021, 10:56 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Bit of a battle with the chinstrap, P10 itch Bassline 9 1,989 07-05-2019, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Hydrangea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.