Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

P10 noise
Question 
P10 noise
I’ve been using the Resmed f30 FFM for the past year. It’s okay, but it does have periodic leak issues and I really dislike contraptions all over my head. I tried the p10 pillow mask and REALLY like it — it’s simple, light, easily adjusted and cleaned, and doesn’t seem to leak. The problem I have is with NOISE. I have to wear earplugs at night because my husband snores. This seems to create some kind of echo chamber in my head, such that the air rushing in and out of my nose sounds like a freaking hurricane. Even without the earplugs, tho, the p10 is very much louder than the f30. The f30 doesn’t make NEARLY the racket the p10 makes. I’m not sure I understand all the emphasis on “quiet” in the adverts for the p10.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I just doing something wrong? I LOVE the p10, but I absolutely cannot sleep with that noise. My Resmed Aircurve ASV is on its lowest pressure settings (works very well for me), and it is set to “pillow mask”. I’ve had multiple sinus surgeries and both nostrils are totally clear.  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: P10 noise
I don't mean this to be a smart-ass reply, but it sounds as if your husband may have sleep apnea. Has he been tested?

I use the P10 and (for me) it is absolutely silent. My wife also uses P10 and has not complained of noice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2022, 09:03 PM)Utah Desert Rat Wrote: I’m not sure I understand all the emphasis on “quiet” in the adverts for the p10.

I've used a P10 for a long time. I have tried other masks along the way, but always come back to the P10 not just because it's the least invasive mask to wear, but for how quiet it is.

If you have your Cpap set to nasal pillow, I can't imagine where the noise is coming from.

Make sure the pillow is the right size for you. It shouldn't be inserted too far into your nostrils, but just a tiny bit. If inserted too far, try the next size up.

Also, be sure that the pillow is snapped into place properly.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wear ear plugs with the P10 and know what you are talking. You are just hearing the positive pressure being applied I believe. When I first started with ear plugs using my P10 I was caught off guard as well. But, within minutes I fall asleep and it doesn't even matter or register in my head. Also I don't find it to be that loud at all to be honest, but to each his/her own.

I do have a suggestion. Wear your mask and turn the machine on at some point during the day when you have a chance to relax/sit down and if you have in-ear headphone ear buds put them in and try listening to a guided meditation or something relaxing. You should still get this "echo chamber" effect you call it to a degree (depending on the quality and size of the ear buds) but you will acclimate yourself to it over time by learning to relax your body.

This is very similar advice given to those when starting out therapy to use the machine in waking hours but in a relaxed positive setting so your mind is trained to accept the new stimulus in a positive manner in such that it becomes the norm for you.

Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2022, 07:04 AM)sm315 Wrote: I wear ear plugs with the P10 and know what you are talking. You are just hearing the positive pressure being applied I believe. 

Thanks for the reply. I pretty much figured that's the case, and all I could do about it is just to try to get used to it as you suggested. I should also probably say that my own voice sounds I'm shouting in my head if I speak loud enough for people to hear me. They're always telling me to talk louder, but it's almost painful! 

I've checked all the boxes: tried all different size pillows, made sure they were snapped on well and seated correctly (OSCAR and the machine both say the seal is excellent), double checked the machine's mask type setting. So I guess some "training" is in order, as you say. Oh well, we'll see.

I really like the minimalist form factor of this mask; as an old software engineer I truly appreciate simplicity of design!   Cool

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I would suggest training your mode to accept it as a normal condition under a relaxed state. I've had to do this a few times myself when beginning therapy and its made a world of difference.

If it is truly the P10, maybe try another nasal pillow mask. I personally like Swift FX nasal pillows as my second option. There is more to the headgear that makes it more secure and the exhale port is different but I still consider it somewhat minimal.
Post Reply Post Reply
Or, as another option, I have used the Fisher & Paykel Brevida pillow mask with excellent results. Seals like a champ. Very quiet. For me at least. YMMV.

According to the decibel measurement, P10 is one of the quietest masks on the market.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2022, 09:38 PM)clownbell Wrote: According to the decibel measurement, P10 is one of the quietest masks on the market.

I have no doubt that is the case, and one of the major reasons I wanted to try it. But there is no way that I’m aware of to measure the individual’s perception of the sound level inside his/her head. The mask is indeed extremely quiet — until I insert the necessary earplugs.

I’ve taken sm315’s suggestion of acclimating to the sound while sitting and reading this evening. It may very well work, especially since it seems that the large size pillow reduces the rushing sound quite a bit compared to the other sizes. Maybe that’s due to the larger air chamber volume inside the pillows — which makes sense since the Airfit F30 has a lot of volume and is nearly silent.

Thanks to everyone for the input.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 21,186 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 187 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 218 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,717 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 429 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44
Question Resmed Autoset 10 buzzing noise - what now? mogulman 8 640 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Equipment] Airsense 10 Noise tblaster 4 367 01-15-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: tblaster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.