Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

P30i as a replacement for P10
P30i as a replacement for P10
I'm a long time user of P10 mask, and I can say that I love it. Well...with the exception of the headgear. :-) A few months ago, I decided to buy a new P10, instead of just replacing the headgear. That way, for some extra money, I got a new mask with new pillows, a new headgear, and for the first time, those headgear clips (which I haven't used yet). The mask is still doing fine, but I started thinking of trying something else.

After reading a lot of good reviews for the P30i, across the web, I have a few questions, especially for all of you who have used both P10 and P30i:

1. Are the pillows more or less the same as in P10? If I'm comfortable with P10 pillows, which I am, will I be happy with P30i pillows?

2. How's the headgear on P30i, compared to P10? Does it firmly stay in place?

3. And maybe most importantly, since I am a side sleeper, and somewhat "suffer" from those marks on the face that P10 leaves, is P30i any better? I know that with the padding there's supposed to be no marks, but how does the mask really feel, for a side sleeper? Are those side tubes a nuisance, pressuring the side of your head, and is side sleeping obstructing the air flow in any way? In other words, Can I expect to be comfortable, sleeping on the side?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: P30i as a replacement for P10
Being a P30i user ... sorry, I have not used a P10 ... I can provide some feedback ...

I am a side sleeper also.

Do you have sideburns?  I find the frame hits most of my side burn and hence I don't get marks.  Also, the P/N30i frame comes with built in "covers" which really help in preventing any marks.  If I have a night where I am really pounding my head in my pillow, my cheeks may be a little red, but nothing the morning shower does not get rid of.

My leak rates are 0 FWIW.  According to OSCAR I do have a dozen or so "spikes" a night.  I figure those are me rolling over or something.  According to OSCAR they last 5 to 10 seconds.  They don't wake me up, at least that I am aware of.  I would not have known of the leaks if I did not have OSCAR.  The ResMed Autoset 10 reports a leak rate of 0 otherwise.  

For me, the mask stays in place.

With the air coming down by your ears, you may find the P/N30i noisy at first.  

Also, with the frame coming down your head, if you have your hose temp up warm enough, the air will warm up the tubing.  It depends how warm you like your air.

It may take a bit to get used to the hose at the top of your head as you will at first notice the small tug as your roll around. Getting a hose buddy or the like may help here.

I don't notice or feel the side tubes when I am on my side. My pillow has some reasonable give though. If your pillow is a brick, I would think you would feel it more. Depends on the angle of the head too.

Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, these side tubes are my biggest concern. My pillow is of average firmness, not too hard, but definitely not very soft either. I wouldn't want to feel these side tubes pressing against the side of my head. Not so much worried about any possible marks, as I don't think P30i could be worse than P10, but if sleeping on the side and pressing against the pillow produces uncomfortable pressure from the side tubing, then I don't think it would be for me.

Thanks for the reply!
Post Reply Post Reply
I too was a big P10 fan with the same dislike of the headgear. I tried the N30i and found it ok except for the large air exhaust. I used it for a month or so and then got the pillows for it, same size as my P10 pillows. The exhaust level went back down to P10 force.
Most of my sleeping is on my side and I haven't had any real problem with that. Just I bit different noise to get use to.
I have fine hair (whats left) and sometimes the adjustable strap across the back of my head slips up a bit. That doesn't seem to cause anymore leaks only feels a bit different. I think the headgear is softer on the face as sometimes with the P10 it would push up under my eye when side sleeping.
All in all very happy with the P30i/N30i and like that I can have a nasal mask with just a simple change. Handy when I get a sore noise from too much nose blowing with a cold.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2019, 02:56 PM)ppca Wrote: After reading a lot of good reviews for the P30i, across the web, I have a few questions, especially for all of you who have used both P10 and P30i:

1. Are the pillows more or less the same as in P10? If I'm comfortable with P10 pillows, which I am, will I be happy with P30i pillows?

2. How's the headgear on P30i, compared to P10? Does it firmly stay in place?

3. And maybe most importantly, since I am a side sleeper, and somewhat "suffer" from those marks on the face that P10 leaves, is P30i any better? I know that with the padding there's supposed to be no marks, but how does the mask really feel, for a side sleeper? Are those side tubes a nuisance, pressuring the side of your head, and is side sleeping obstructing the air flow in any way? In other words, Can I expect to be comfortable, sleeping on the side?

Hi, 

I've been using my P30i for just about 2 weeks now, and can say that I'm very pleased with it. I'm coming from a rather rough experience with a F20, forcing me to transition back to a very old somewhat worn Swift FX before getting the P30i. I'd considered getting a P10 too, but decided to wait until I've had some time with the P30i.

I find it much quieter than the Swift FX which has a crazy jet stream exhaust. The headgear is comfortable and the pillows are too, very quiet exhaust at the front by your nose. There seems to be a white fabric type pad in the exhaust port. I think the majority of the exhaust comes from the top of head connector.

I'm also a side sleeper and have not found it torn out of place as I move back and forth between sides like other masks. I barely have the straps tight, it just stays in place with the silicone headgear. I can't say that I can hear any flowing air noise from the side tubes that come down along the side of your face, don't notice any difference in pressure when I've got my face smashed into the pillow. As far as I am concerned I can hardly feel the tubes.

Overall I don't notice any facial marks in the morning like I did with the F20 & the Swift FX.

A bonus is that the pillows are interchangeable with the N30i nasal cradle cushions (I've got one on the way to give it a try).

Hope this helps, 
Captain Steubing.
Captain Steubing
The Original Captain of "The Love Boat"
Purveyor of presto magic, love and chaos!
My Personal Blog
Post Reply Post Reply
After 3 years with the P10 I decided to try some of the newer nasal pillow masks. I first tried the Brevida and had problems from the outset with leaks due to a defective nasal pillow with my initial purchase. After replacement it performed well but the headgear would sometimes shift - I am a side sleeper - when I change position leading to leaks. Three months ago I purchased the P30 and have been very happy with the results. It is a more comfortable mask to wear and is more stable and less prone to leaks than the P10. I have had no problems with side sleeping (no marks on my cheeks like the P10.
The only issues I have found are minor. It is much more fiddly to clean than the P10. Removing the diffuser from the silicon pillow is not so easy for aging, arthritic hands and drying the side tubing after cleaning takes longer. Parts for this mask are expensive, but not the mask itself so instead of purchasing replacement pillows and diffusers it cheaper to buy another starting kit and obtain a full set spare parts and 3 more diffusers.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-20-2019, 07:51 AM)Grandpapa-G Wrote: It is much more fiddly to clean than the P10.

Yeah, by looking at it, I suspected that it would be tricky to clean it, at least as compared to P10. As for drying the side tubing, can't you just run "test mask fit"? That's what I usually do with my P10. I run it for 10-15 minutes, and it dries out the main hose and the mask.

And the prices...yeah, I hear you. Oh-jeez  They are all ripping us off big time. A few pieces of plastic, and a few hundred bucks are gone.

Also, thank you all who responded. Still thinking if I should go for it, or wait a bit more. My P10 (its headgear) is still fine. On the other hand, having another mask might be a good idea, so I can switch between the two.
Post Reply Post Reply
ppca,
The side tubing is covered partly by a blue cushionny material that acts like a sponge and takes a while to dry completely, even after blotting first with a tissue to wick away as much water as possible.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, I thought you were talking about the inside of the tubing. As for that padding, it sounds to me as that could be a bit of a problem. I don't know why they didn't make it removable, as on the DreamWear mask. Speaking of which, I was considering getting DreamWear (with pillows, not cushion) instead of P30i. It is almost identical to P30i, but I have read a lot of reviews with people complaining about leaks and how noisy it is.
Post Reply Post Reply
I took the plunge and ordered a P30i. It should arrive in a few days. Getting excited to compare it to my P10, which I love. I hope I'll have two loves from now on. Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,250 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,828 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 206 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,127 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 29 9,908 02-26-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 267 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Equipment] Replacement Cellular Modem DMAllen 18 5,799 02-25-2024, 05:36 AM
Last Post: Neo2020

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.