Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

PAP->SD->OSCAR->Forum data management
PAP->SD->OSCAR->Forum data management
After the night of the 10th, I noticed missing data in the bottom half of the OSCAR report (see images).  This was puzzling:

I assume the PAP machine (a Philips Respironics DreamStation) collects data in an internal buffer and periodically writes it to the SD card. When I "Click to Close" in the morning, any partial buffer is flushed. Now and then I don't see the "Click to Close" prompt; what happens then? Is there a special "end of session" mark to indicate the end of a sleep session? When I first got the machine, the "Click to Close" prompt was fleeting at best, but now it generally behaves, and pops up in the morning after I turn it off and gives me a few seconds to click.

Whatever happens there, OSCAR eventually reads the SD card data, and accumulates it in its own database. Does it read the entire SD card to see what it's missing, or just start reading near the end, assuming it's got everything prior? How does OSCAR determine "end of data"?

Obviously, I'm wondering if, on the 10th, I missed a "Click to Close", data for the 10th was truncated, put on the SD card later when I inserted it after OSCARing it, and never fetched by OSCAR on later days. Do these data from the 10th show up in the OSCAR database anywhere? Doesn't look like it.

If so, OSCAR will never "fill in" any missing or incorrect data in its database?

As for OSCAR itself....

Awesome product. But:

1) Would really like to be able dump the entire output, rather than just the current screen, with an F12-like keystroke.
2) Would like to be able to add a short comment to an OSCAR screen. For example, while I was testing a bunch of masks recently, it would have been very useful to have been able to annotate the name of the mask used that night. Now that I've settled on a mask (I think) I'll change my profile, but for the last month or so, the mask type came from my then-profile (?), and was wrong.

Finally, as for the machine itself:
It was charged to Medicare as a "used" machine. But both Therapy hours and Blower hours are identical and more-or-less consistent with the total time I've had the machine.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: PAP->SD->OSCAR->Forum data management
1. I think the missing data you're seeing is due to limitations of OSCAR 1.0.1. The upcoming 1.1.0 should handle all of this much more accurately. Older versions would silently stop reading data when they encountered anything unexpected. We've tested 1.1.0 extensively against a bunch of sample data, and it will now alert the user if it encounters anything we haven't seen.

2. As far as I know "click to close" has no effect on what gets written to the SD card. The only action I've seen that affects SD contents is whether you leave the SD card out overnight. In that case, whenever you insert the SD card, your machine will write what's in its internal buffer to the SD card. From OSCAR's perspective, it makes the files look a little different (but 1.1.0 can handle that). From the user's perspective, you'll see the flow and pressure data missing on such days.

3. OSCAR reads the entire card and looks for anything it hasn't seen before. Again, likely the reason you're seeing missing data is due to data in session 171 that confuses it. It looks like the pressure data is getting truncated, and all of the other charts that are missing data are derived from that.

4. (Suggestion 1) You can print a report of an entire day, which will include all the graphs, not just what's visible on the screen. It's not the prettiest currently, but it might do what you're looking for.

5. (Suggestion 2) That's what the Notes tab is for on the left.

6. It's possible for DMEs to "reset" the visible hours count. I don't remember whether the overall blower hours can be reset behind the scenes, or whether the real total is necessarily visible.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure why part of your last session's data is missing, as I'm not familiar with the Dreamstation importer.

You can get the complete Daily screen printed - to a printer or as a pdf file (usually, depends on driver) by selecting Print Report under the File menu, or using ctrl-P. It will print whichever tab you are viewing, Daily, Overview, or Statistics.

And right above the orange bar in the left column of the Daily page is a row of tabs, and the middle one is Notes, which gives you a fairly large test entry area, which gets saved when you exit OSCAR - so don't shut down without exiting OSCAR. A good future enhancement would save the Notes when you left that tab - but, hey, we're not perfect.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2020, 08:44 PM)pholynyk Wrote: hey, we're not perfect.

Darn near Smile. I did think of one more thing last night - when saving via F12 it would be nice if (how many time have you heard THAT?) the filename contained the date of the CPAP session (start, end, or both), rather than the date of the screenshot.

But, using Notes (I think I tried that once, but didn't know about saving them on exit), and saving to a PDF allows me to save under whatever filename I want, so all my immediate problems are resolved. Can't ask for more than that; thanks.

Looking forward to 1.1.0.
Post Reply Post Reply
>>> it would be nice if (how many time have you heard THAT?) the filename contained the date of the CPAP session (start, end, or both), rather than the date of the screenshot.

We'd have to work out something to allow multiple screenshots of the same day, which shouldn't be hard... Not a bad idea at all!
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unless I'm don't understand the request, the filename does allow for multiple shots when using the "F12" or "View ⇾ Take Screenshot" option.  The filename consists of the date-time.png format "yyyymmdd-hhmmss.png". You can't take a screenshot any faster than 1 second, so there won't be any file duplication problems.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
CN - You missed the step where he wants the filename to reflect the date of the data, not the date and time of the screenshot...

I think the date of the data followed by a dash and a 2 or 3 digit number should do it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for clarifying that.  My comprehension is misaligned.  Confused Sorry!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question OK TO IMPORT SLEEP DATA FROM OLD SD CARD INTO OSCAR W/O MESSING UP CURRENT DATA? Plmnb 1 77 Today, 01:07 AM
Last Post: Ibrumley
  Trouble importing data to Oscar bubbafoxus 2 88 03-22-2024, 05:40 PM
Last Post: bubbafoxus
  OSCAR Profiles and Combining Different Brand CPAP Data StratCat48 2 49 03-22-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Where Oscar put the data file? Rosacer24 0 60 03-22-2024, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Rosacer24
  There's 1.5 years of data in my OSCAR, but now there's a problem Snackers 8 223 03-19-2024, 03:36 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  OSCAR v1.5.2- error code 5, unable to write to data directory sleepynotion 2 107 03-18-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: sleepynotion
  OSCAR data backup strategy matt2 2 98 03-18-2024, 10:32 AM
Last Post: LoudSnorer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.