Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

PAP causing sleep debt ?
Angry 
PAP causing sleep debt ?
I was put on a bipap, repironics s9 with heated humidifer in late August. I survived my 30 days at between 7 and 8 hours a night but whne counting all of the mask adjustmetnst and just plain being awake like I had three cups of coffee I think my sleep was under half of that.Right after this I got a case of the flu as I always do when someone insists I have a flue shot, not a bad cas, but one that produced lots of rhinitis. I also have a deviated septum and as a result am addicted to afrin. The sleep doc knew all of this. I was told that Ihave hypopnea. I understand this a slowing of breathing but not a stop. I was told I had 23 incidents and hour and so level dropped to 80 once. Most of the time it was around 90. NOw what I was not told was if the these were incidents of shallow breathing or sleep disturbances. I have had terrible time since startng, ostly it is as if I had three cups of strong coffee before bed. I am now down to trying thing less than three hours a night.
I never had daytime drowsyness, now I do not really trust myself to drive some days. So when I tal to the DME people thye say well that is normal for the first few months. I cannot accept that, in the first place I never really knew I had a problem and exhibited no classic symptoms of sleep problems. After the 30 days the change if any was negaitve. I have some rythmn issues but did not change a thing there. So my question is is it possible this was a treatment with marginal benefit for me? I do not like that kind of medicine. MY pressure seem to indicate a more serious problem then I was told or I percieve. Right now I think this is not a helpful thing for me. I am kind of angry at all oif the scare tactics, I want real information. I think I am treated as a part of production line, I am an individual and one I react differently than averages no matter what staitical driven Docs or bean counters think. I fully understand why people give this therapy up. I want to know if any others feel they were prescribed a treatment at the margins. I will try this again but if I go six weeks with no apparent benefit I will consider this to be a fraud. Understand I have no idea what benefit I am supposed to see becasue I do not know for what symton I was sent a for a sleep study. I trust my family physcian but it was a sort lets see, well the lets see was never explained with a why. I beieve the sleep physcian is so convinced he can help that perhaps he forgets to say to himself is help needed. I do not know but I one feel like a failure but I don't know why I shoudl since I never knew the clear objjectives of what has turned out to be detrinetal expnce, one tha thas cost Medicare a lot of money perhaps unecessarilu and I do not mean fraudulently I just mean perhpas with a little deep thought this torture was not necessary. Right now perhaps becasue I am so darn tired I am getting very angry.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: PAP causing sleep debt ?
(11-14-2012, 12:05 AM)Tired-in-Arizona Wrote: So my question is is it possible this was a treatment with marginal benefit for me?

NOPE.

The sleep test is pretty much open and shut in most cases. See if you can get a copy of the "full" sleep study report. They're legally required to provide it to you if you live in the US. In particular, you want to know your AHI and apnea numbers.

If it was bad enough that they gave you a "BiPAP" machine, doubly so.

We may be able to help you look at your own data and figure out what's going on and how to improve it.

First, what machine do you really have. S9 machines are ResMed, not Respironics. Does it say "ResMed" on the top cover? What does it say near the power button? It probably says "VPAP something".

Once we find the right machine, we can tell you how to read the data off of it to figure out how your apnea treatment is working.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 3 226 04-15-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: jcp519
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 139 35,683 04-12-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 225 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 254 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 317 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 481 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  What is your Mallampati Score? Are your tongue and palate causing your apnea? selfhelpdevice 0 340 12-10-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: selfhelpdevice

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.