Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] PAPcap by Pur-Sleep
PAPcap by Pur-Sleep
3 to 4  - comfort
4 - does what it says it is supposed to do
5 - eliminates hose head hair!
1 - creates major flat hair!

Pros:
Works! As long as it is in place
Comfortable since it is made of cloth
Not overly warm at night
Headgear stays in place because it sticks to the cloth (but...)

Cons:
Because it is cloth, my headgear is a PITA to put on over top of it
The chin strap part is way, way too long, creating curled, stiff mess on sides
Shifts forward during the night

My situation: for some reason, after years of using CPAP, I starting mouth leaking. Not opening my mouth, just leaking air through my lips. I tried a few tricks but finally got Supplier #1's version of the Ruby Red chin strap. My thinking was the way the straps were on the cheeks, it would keep my cheeks from filling with air. I didn't need it to hold my mouth closed, just keep the air from escaping. It kinda sorta worked but I had problems with the material and the design. Someone suggested I try the PAPcap. So I did.

The PAPcap is made from cloth, not neoprene. It has no give at all except at the ends of the piece that goes around the chin. And even then, it doesn't so much "give" as just holds the hook-and-loop in place. So while the fake Ruby stretched over time, this thing doesn't.

It fits over the top of my head like one of those bandana cap things. Then a strap goes from one side to the other and acts as a chin strap. Simple. The cloth is thin but sturdy. I've not ripped it yet. Folks with long bangs may not like this thing unless they can manage to keep the bangs back long enough to get the cap on. I needed a hair cut and was fighting this thing every night. It got me to get my hair cut sooner than I normally would have! Same problem for folks with thick hair, too.

According to the manufacturer, it is designed to prevent mouth breathing:

Quote:The best solution for “mouth breathing” is the most simple approach: A comfortable chinstrap that simultaneously closes the jaw and seals the lips by pressing the bottom lip upward about one centimeter. However, a relatively large amount of tension delivered to the bottom of the chin is required to accomplish this.

Does it work? As long as that strap is in the right place, yes!! But since we move around and the thing is not stapled into place, it won't work all night. It is easy to reset, though. When I wake up leaking air, I find the chin strap loose usually because the entire thing has slid forward and is covering my eyes. I've been slowly tightening the head strap part, which is helping, but the strap still shifts. And we're back to the stapling it on part. But keep in mind, the Fake Ruby Red leaked too but it was still in place. I consider the PAPcap an improvement and I'm willing to put up with a little bit of adjusting since I am waking up less often.

The big problem I had with it was the chin strap's extra material on the ends. It is way, way too long. It is a chin strap for a human, not a horse. I don't know why they made it so freakin' long. Anyway, shortly after I got the PapCap, I was able to sleep on my side for a while and started developing headaches. The headaches were all in one location and I had a very tender spot near there (not unusual). The tenderness got worse (that was unusual). One morning as I took off the headgear, I had to actually peel the PAPcap out of the divot it was forming in my skin. I went to work to find a solution. Instead of centering the strap, I moved all the excess to the opposite side (I sleep entirely either on my back or on one side). I also took a look at the head strap to make sure that when I returned to back sleeping, I did not have the same problem. That strap is not as wide nor as stiff and so far have not had any problems with it.

Overall, I like it. For the most part, the noises have stopped. They never really did with the Fake Ruby Red. I do still wake up blowing air but the data shows it is minimal and still within what the machine can handle. I am getting good sleep, waking up less often, falling back asleep faster.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: PAPcap by Pur-Sleep
I am also a PapCap user. I got mine several years ago after trying several other chin straps, none of which worked very well. I was initially concerned that it would feel too hot, but it has actually been quite comfortable Using it has pretty well eliminated my problem from mouth breathing-I have had a lot of problems with nasal congestion in earlier years and have been a confirmed mouth breather.

Like the previous reviewer, I have been annoyed by the strap length. However I have been very pleased that the cap and straps haven't stretched to the point of not working. The elastic strap devices, Ruby, etc always stretched out of usability rather quickly.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply
I just bought one of these and have been using it the last 4 nights. So far I love it. I'd tried the ruby chin strap, cervical collar and an ace bandage before I bought the Papcap. All of those failed with the ace bandage working the best for me until I got the Papcap. It appears to have solved my mouth breathing entirely.

My only complaint is that the cap is a bit too deep and the side of the cap rests on the top of my ears where they attach to my head. But I'm going to have my personal seamstress fix that. I also love the hose attachment at the top of the head. That keeps the hose from moving around and causing leaks when I roll during the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
PapCap again
Years ago I bought a PapCap and used it for a long while. Why did I buy it? Mouthbreathing. It's a fancy chin strap. 
Looks like a surgeon's cap.  Cotton
Comes in sizes because we come in sizes.
Does up in the back with velcro. 
Has a chinstrap.
That does up in the sides with velcro.

Put the hat on. 
Put the strap on.
What can go wrong with that? (see below)

Size
Buy the wrong size? They have two sizes now and they're confusing. I've got a large head; thought I needed a large papcap. Wrong. So my brand new one is a Small.

My first (Large) PapCap
So when I put the papcap on too loose, the tension in the chinstrap would make it slide down over my eyes at night. Spooky.
My second (Small) PapCap

Frankly it's a delight to use.  I made sure that the velcro fitting was tight. Then I did up my chinstrap on it just tight enough.  I didn't have to do it up super-tight.

PapCap is made by PurSleep.  If you google those you'll find it.

I have a collection of chinstraps that didn't work.  I've kept them just in case. Wink
I had a bunch of chinstraps of a design that worked for me.  Except in time, they'd stretch.  And in time I'd realize that they were stretched, and weren't working any more. Now they don't sell them anymore. 

I have several wedges I would place under my chin to keep my jaw jammed shut so I won't mouthbreath.

Hope this helps someone who needs a different solution.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: PapCap again
If you read reviews some people had trouble using PapCaps. And wrote angry reviews.

I believe that it's a good product provided it's sized right, and the person takes care adjusting it right when putting it on.

My first one was a LARGE and if I adjust it carefully (so it fits close) it's good.

My second one is a SMALL and after putting it on carefully all was good. I believe that this is the right size for me.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
There is a thread for the papcap in the review section. Perhaps this thread should be merged with that one?

The Papcap is designed more for those that lip leak, not necessarily for those who's mouth opens. That is what I use(d) it for.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
lip leaks of the pfff pfff pfff kind are a constant battle for me, even with a soft cervical collar. if you all think it might help with that, I think I will try one.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2019, 05:16 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: There is a thread for the papcap in the review section. Perhaps this thread should be merged with that one?

The Papcap is designed more for those that lip leak, not necessarily for those who's mouth opens. That is what I use(d) it for.

Please put it where it will help others.

I mouth breath. Sometimes.  It works for me that way. AHI was 0.1 last night...
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2019, 05:58 PM)sheepless Wrote: lip leaks of the pfff pfff pfff kind are a constant battle for me, even with a soft cervical collar. if you all think it might help with that, I think I will try one.

Caution you that it has to fit.
There are adjustments.  Sure as heck it won't work if you don't adjust it rightt.  I like mine.  I'd buy it again, and did.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a happy PapCap owner. I now own two--I just bought a second PapCap.

I've found that I must adjust the vecro closer at the back of the PapCap for a tight fit. If I don't I have problems.

It's not perfect, but it's pretty good, and better for me than the chinstraps I've bought...

I mouthbreath sometimes; I'm claustrophobic and have tried many full face masks without success. The PapCap is a good tool when used with a comfortable nasal mask that doesn't leak on my face.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.