Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

PC modular power supplies -- connectors
I have a computer I built based on an ASUS Z87 Pro MOBO back in 2014. The Power Supply is a Cooler Master V850 full modular. I think the PS is flaking.
If it's not the PS, then it's the MOBO; and I'll pull the SSDs and scrap the rest.

I'm considering replacing the PSU with an EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3, 80 Plus Gold 850W, Fully Modular.

It would be very convenient if the modular connectors on the two supplies (at the supply) were standardized.
If not, I have to use the new cables and spend a couple of hours rerouting them.

Anyone have any experience here?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I came across these pics of each one. It would appear that the drive leads are different. I hope it will help.

:[Image: CoolerMaster.jpg]
[Image: EVO850.jpg]
Apnea Helpful Tips
Post Reply Post Reply
And even if the plugs fit it, I wouldn't trust that the wiring is the same! Sad  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply

Mongo - use that as an excuse to add more LEDs. Smile

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm think about adding more LEAD to it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm resurrecting this thread because I've not been able to resolve the problem.
I disconnected the CoolerMaster 870 supply from the MOBO and checked the supply with one of those $20 testers.
Seems to work fine. I reconnected the power to the system; and it seemed to work OK for a while.

Sometimes I push power on; and I get nothing. Sometimes, especially if I have cycled the mains switch, I get a 1/4 turn on the CPU fan and a little movement on the PCIe Video card fan. Other times, I can boot to BIOS; or to the OS which resides on a Samsung SSD. Ultimately, it will shutdown without warning.
The ASUS Z87 Pro MOBO has a 2 digit status LED; but I cannot decipher a reason for it flaking. It seems like I have 5VSB power, but 12V power doesn't want to fire up. Checking Windows logs, I find the only critical error to be an unexpected shutdown.

I'd hate to buy another PSU just to find it's the MOBO -- if it's the MOBO, I'm pulling the SSDs and scrapping the rest of the machine.

MOBO: ASUS Z87 Pro
CPU: INTEL i7, 4770 @3.4 GHz, Haswell
GRAPHICS CARD: EVGA GFORCE GTX750 Ti Superclocked.
PSU: CoolerMaster 870 Full Modular, 850 Watts ATX12 2.x standard.
Memory: Crucial Ballistix DDR3 -- 1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 @1.5V, 4x 8GB Sticks, TIMING 9-9-9-24
CPU Cooler, Noctua NH-L9i with push-pull fans
2, Optical drives
2, Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB SSDs with W7 on one of them

I'm not overclocking -- standard timing and voltage. The 8 pin, 12V CPU power connector is plugged in. There are no PCIe cards that require an added power connection.

Any ideas?
I'm wondering if I have a short, since the supply has short circuit shutdown.
MOBO seems to be properly on the standoffs. Intermittent behavior is so hard to troubleshoot.

There are 2 switches by which I can start the system. The "regular" button, and 1 that is a boot to BIOS. Both result in the same problem, so I doubt it's a switch.
Post Reply Post Reply

Can you try a different video card? I'm not familiar with yours, but a lot of them draw extra power from 12V - it could be the culprit.

For what it's worth, I can't recall having an ASUS mobo go bad on me; just almost every other brand I've ever tried.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same video card in this Dell 8700. I could swap them. The video card is really not a power hog.
Or, I suppose I could pull the card; and fall back to the built in video on he mobo.
The PSU is rated at 70 Amperes on the 12V rail.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I run into a situation like this and think the PS is ok, I pull all peripherals, all HIDs, and all cards and start with the basic barebones. If it runs, add back things one at a time until you find the device that puked.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Extra mask supplies ? GrammaBear 4 182 07-27-2017, 03:51 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Angry I noted the medical device tax was applied to my last DME supplies justMongo 0 815 05-12-2014, 08:51 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Authorities gain power to collect Australians' internet records SuperSleeper 4 1,560 08-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper