Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

PCP, DME, insurance - oh my
PCP, DME, insurance - oh my
I've had my Air Sense 11 for a little over a month (previous Air Sense 10 for 7 years).  I also had a sleep study the beginning of September which recommended AutoSet 8-15 EPR 3.  Even after I requested that my PCP involve a RT to help with the new machine the new machine arrived from the DME with 7 year old setting of fixed pressure of 10, as I expected.  Messaged the PCP of the issue and let them know I had set the new machine up according to the sleep study.  They said that they would FAX over the sleep study and prescription.  Two weeks later I speak with DME and he says he can't talk to me until he gets the prescription.  It was a tele health video call and he was noticeably irritated that I changed the settings and when I told him about OSCAR and how it helped me eliminate Large Leaks he was totally uninterested.  I asked if he knew about OSCAR and he said "No".  So, contacted PCP again and they said they'd re-FAX the information.  The DME has been an obstacle throughout the 9 months it took to get the new AS11.  BTW, the insurance provider has been no problem through all of this.

Summary - Coordination of CPAP machines, sleep studies, and ongoing guidance appears to be beyond the normal processes between PCP, DME and patient and a patient that is heavily involved is not a welcome participant.

BTW, I've dramatically reduced and even eliminated my Large Leaks simply by cradling my P10 with my pillow when on either side.  Previously the pillow would 'push' the mask up if I didn't support the mask with the pillow and cause leaks. Thank you OSCAR.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: PCP, DME, insurance - oh my
Are you able to change DMEs? I’m constantly astounded by how poor the service is by some of these companies, especially the big companies. Not to mention the disrespect shown toward their customers. You don’t need this.

One of my friends who has been using a BiPap for the last four years couldn’t stand his “big box” (my term) DME. I referred him to mine, a local company with two offices, and he couldn’t be happier. His prescription was transferred, he was setup with an appointment with the RT, his supply template setup and he was told they would call quarterly so he can decide what supplies he needs rather than a box of supplies he didn’t need from the “big box” DME. In addition I added the info from his SD card into OSCAR and we were able to get his huge leaks under control via a mask change and adjusted his pressures a wee bit. He feels so much better now too.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: PCP, DME, insurance - oh my
I got a list of DMEs from PCP and insurance carrier.  None of them could supply a ResMed machine (Luna II, iBreeze), so I was stuck with the only DNE I could  find locally that provided ResMed . BTW, in January when my PCP ordered a new machine they didn't specify ResMed , so I got a  Luna II.  So loud that I returned it and second one they sent me and had PCP to specify ResMed.  Took 8 months but worth it.

Thanks for the info.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,525 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 274 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Anyone Ever Had Insurance Cover Nightly Oximeter cmpman1974 35 2,867 12-12-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  Insurance Compliance and Changing My Own Pressure Brennie 3 432 11-27-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Wink CPAP machine and supplies? Insurance or not? Fatheaded 13 1,576 11-26-2023, 05:50 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Question on Sleep Study and Insurance mawaw1992 11 905 10-29-2023, 09:29 AM
Last Post: mawaw1992

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.