Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Regarding the recent Philips PAP machine recall and the response by Philips, how likely are you to purchase Philips products in the future?
This poll is closed.
Will consider Philips PAP machines & accessories
22.56%
30 22.56%
Will consider Philips PAP accessories, but avoid Philips machines
26.32%
35 26.32%
Will avoid most or all Philips Respiratory products
51.13%
68 51.13%
Total 133 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

PHILIPS SYSTEMS RECALL - Future Purchases [POLL]
RE: PHILIPS SYSTEMS RECALL - Future Purchases [POLL]
Used my old Dreamstation for 5.5 years, then went through a couple of new ones. The first one vibrated and was very loud. Its replacement had an unpleasant burning smell.  Switched to an Airsense 10 Autoset a week ago and what a difference!  Much lower AHIs and my first ever AHI of zero.  Now I'm worried about what the DS machines may have done to me.  I have a cough that has been getting worse over the last year or so, and hoarseness over the last few months, also frequent sinus infections.  I plan to see a doctor to ask if any damage has been done.

I will never use another PR device.
Sleepless No More
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepless, put an AB filter on your PR machine, and rig it to blow, thinking cotton balls or something in the mask for resistance, and see if you get black bits on the filter, if so put them in a ziplock bag and take them to your pulmonologist for evaluation. If so thinking an MRI or CAT scan of your lungs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, Gideon, I would not have thought of that.  Excellent advice. Thanks
Sleepless No More
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2021, 07:01 AM)pholynyk Wrote:
(06-19-2021, 01:54 AM)koala1 Wrote: Had those encryption algorithms changed between DS1 and DS2?

It is my understanding that until the DS2, none of the data was encrypted, although the format was ... unusual.

The DS2 has encrypted all the data, and we are working on it. We have no idea why they are doing this.

Today nurse practitioner at the sleep center asked the following question as she was filling in my prescription: "Would you rather us program your pressures, or do you intend to keep changing them yourself?"

To which I answered, "I'm simply not going to sleep hooked up to a device that I'm not in control of. AND I'm not going to trust a device where I can't look at the data afterwards to see what it was doing when I was asleep."

Is there anyone else who looks at their cpap and thinks about the scene in 2001: A Space Odyssey where HAL turns off the life support and kills the astronauts who are in suspended animation? https://youtu.be/Z4n3dbPqk58

Not just "no". HELL no!
Post Reply Post Reply
For my purposes, the locking down of the pressure therapy is a more serious issue, particularly long term. I am definitely not going to consent to a device where therapy can’t be changed without specific software that only the OEM or DME would have access to.
Geoffrey Rush as Philip Henslowe, (Shakespeare in Love) "I don't know. It's a mystery."
Post Reply Post Reply
My A10 is over 6 years old. I am in the market for a new machine. I purchased one for my son almost two years ago. They provide excellent service. I have taken mine wherever I travel and even use it in the car while taking naps. I doubt that I would change brand or model.
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
How can you change your vote?
Dammit, Jim - I'm an engineer, not a doctor!!

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
In the green/blue bar above the Poll... in fine print:

You have already voted in this poll:  [undo vote]
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Edit: Do not see the [undo vote] - do see the [see results].

After seeing the non-response of Phillips, other users experiences on this forum and others, & a couple of YouTube videos on the foam in the old and new DreamStations, I'm over giving Phillips any benefit of a doubt, and definitely any of my hard-earned $$. I'm not ashamed to say it, either.
Dammit, Jim - I'm an engineer, not a doctor!!

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I would have been in the market for a new machine in the coming 12 months, and was happy with my current Dreamstation.. but would have most likely bought another DS.

But I gave up using CPAP altogether late last year, and not intending to use it again in the future at this stage.

In light of the PR issues now revealed in their products I would be putting ResMed machines ahead of the Philips Respironics products.
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,963 358,858 04-12-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: btreger
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 54 4,796 04-11-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: TimaaaaaaaahRocks
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,797 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,878 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 465 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,211 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Philips SD Card Format Question Crimson Nape 1 264 02-16-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.