Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Regarding the recent Philips PAP machine recall and the response by Philips, how likely are you to purchase Philips products in the future?
This poll is closed.
Will consider Philips PAP machines & accessories
22.56%
30 22.56%
Will consider Philips PAP accessories, but avoid Philips machines
26.32%
35 26.32%
Will avoid most or all Philips Respiratory products
51.13%
68 51.13%
Total 133 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

PHILIPS SYSTEMS RECALL - Future Purchases [POLL]
RE: PHILIPS SYSTEMS RECALL - Future Purchases [POLL]
Even without the recall, I wouldn't have ordered their machine because it didn't work seamlessly for me and the Resmed does.  But ... but .... but ..... this recall has been so poorly handled from a end user point of view ......
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2021, 12:50 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: My guess is the form factor changes but the algorithm likely won't. Respironics is still sporting similar algorithm for the past 3 machine generations.

I meant encryption and ability to add DS2 as Oscar compatible machine. 
Had those encryption algorithms changed between DS1 and DS2?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2021, 01:54 AM)koala1 Wrote: Had those encryption algorithms changed between DS1 and DS2?

It is my understanding that until the DS2, none of the data was encrypted, although the format was ... unusual.

The DS2 has encrypted all the data, and we are working on it. We have no idea why they are doing this.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2021, 07:01 AM)pholynyk Wrote:
(06-19-2021, 01:54 AM)koala1 Wrote: Had those encryption algorithms changed between DS1 and DS2?

It is my understanding that until the DS2, none of the data was encrypted, although the format was ... unusual.

The DS2 has encrypted all the data, and we are working on it. We have no idea why they are doing this.

True reason may be difficult to guess, but it’s against well-being of the patients. That’s for sure. 
I’m new to CPAP, but from the very beginning idea of not being able to confirm myself the detailed data is outrageous. 

I wonder if Resmed is also encrypting data or will with new machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
A look at one preliminary dataset shows that the ResMed file layouts have been updated but not encrypted in any way.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was lucky that the NHS in my area (at least) has a contract with Resmed and so I was started on the Airsense 10 Autoset from the outset. That said, I really need an ASV and I am hoping to God that it'll be a Resmed too. I was always more keen on the Resmed machines, but sadly my father is on BiPAP for severe COPD, and he's on a Philips. I would not have willingly purchased a Philips machine over a Resmed, but I don't have an issue with masks etc if they prove more comfortable. The recall just really solidified my preference for Resmed machines and hopefully.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had 5+ years with a dreamstation. I never had good therapy, my AHI was in the teens. Got here and was given a lot of help and got my events (not AHI) down to the 20s - and was told my some very helpful people here that if I wanted to get it down I would need a ResMed.

I purchased one myself and my AHI is below 1 always with many nights 0 events.

I would never own a dreamstation again! It does not matter about their recall, I will not buy another one.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a PR System one - a tank of a machine that worked fine for the 6 years I had it (now my backup). My current is  ResMed Airsense 10 which I got based on the recommendations of the forum. My wife went through 3 Dreamstations in about 2 1/2 years for various reasons and she is now also on ResMed. I like the way the ResMed works and am very happy with my machine and she is happy with hers. I feel I am getting better results with the ResMed than I did with the PR.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2021, 08:27 PM)Rice95 Wrote: Since my time of this forum, I have learned that PR don’t react to an apnea until after it’s already occurred. 

There is NOT ONE SINGLE machine on the face of the planet that will react to an apnea event until after it has already occurred.

(06-18-2021, 10:27 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: I will say that my old, pre-2007 REMstar Pro that looked sort of like a tank was built like one too.  The current DS760 I use is great, but it's supposedly under the recall, and it's sort of been "smelling" a bit to me lately, like burning metal at times over the several few weeks.  

The 560 will wake me up with a burning plasticky/metallic smell if I forget and let the tank go dry (I usually got a few days from a full tank as I don't usually turn humogrification abouve a 1 or 2 and certainly never an 11)
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
An ASV with backup breaths would respond to force a breath during an apnea after a certain time but you're correct that no APAP or CPAP machines will do that. However, some are better at predicting and preventing them from occurring than others, depending on the algorithm and person.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,838 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,616 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,060 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,168 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 379 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,125 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Philips SD Card Format Question Crimson Nape 1 235 02-16-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.