Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

PLEASE HELP! Central/Complex apnea
PLEASE HELP! Central/Complex apnea
I apologize for the length of this plea, but I have few options and a dilemma that might be a bit more complex than usual. My health is quickly degrading and any insight would be hugely appreciated!

About 7 months ago, while awake and trying to sleep, I started waking with a gasp, and with what might best be described as adrenalin surges and body tremors. This kept happening about every 2 minutes. After about 4 hours, sleep came, but another episode hit after about an hour. I quickly put on a pulse oximeter and it read 71%. This nightmare has continued over the last
7 months, with my 5 pulse oximeters (including a 12 hour constant monitor that has detailed graphs) showing oxygen going down to around the 88-92 range every couple of minutes while trying to sleep (over and over again), and then a low to mid 70 range during sleep (in sleep blocks of 1 - 2 hours).

I do not have insurance but about 6 weeks ago was able to get ahold of a Resmed Airsense 10 Cpap, which I have been using on all variations of settings (in manufacturer mode), from auto, to constant stream, from a pressure of 4 to a pressure of 12. Nothing has helped. Presumably, the apnea is Central or Complex.

I do not have the funds to get a sleep study or purchase an ASV machine. I know someone who may sell their RESMED S9 VPAP ADAPT. I may also be able to get a used ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto. I understand the Aircurve is not for Central/Complex apnea, but there was a board member here ('mhehe') who explained that he was able to get the Aircurve to work for him with moderate success. This is the message thread title (I am not allowed to post links yet): Thread-ResMed-AirCurve-10-VAuto-vs-ASV-to-Treat-Central-Apnea
Replies by User: mhehe

Can anyone offer any guidance for someone on a very limited budget? Any thoughs on the S9 Vpap or Aircurve VAuto using the settings indicated by 'mhehe'? Are there any other machines or recomondations for someone with constant hypoxia episodes when awake and trying to sleep followed by severe sleeping hypoxia?

Thank you! Thank you!! Thank you!!!

P.S. Non-smoker, middle-aged, normal BMI, normal labs and cardio results
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: PLEASE HELP! Central/Complex apnea
Welcome to the forum

To start get OSCAR, make sure there is an SD card in your ResMed, and post a copy of your daily charts. That is how we do our best for you. Interpret the charts, identify issues, likely some you didn't even know you had, and suggest changes to improve your therapy and get you a good repeatable night's sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Gideon. Michigan people are alway the best! Will get an SD card and try OSCAR.

Have limited time to get the RESMED S9 VPAP ADAPT. Would welcome your input on that, if any.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's an older but very capable machine. If it's a good price of grab it. If it's not for you it should be a fairly easy resale . That's one reason I want to see your charts, as that will give us a better understanding of your needs. If your apnea is actually Central or Complex then the S9 makes more sense.
Post Reply Post Reply

Hey Gideon. Would the 2 attached tracking data images offer any insight? I have hundreds of them that essentially show the same O2 desaturation issues over the last 7 months. Thank you again!
Post Reply Post Reply
As you know you have a DSat problem
On those two charts the significant reading is 7.5 and 25 minutes under 88% oxygen.

Was this with or without CPAP
Post Reply Post Reply
Both charts (the asleep one & the awake one) were without the cpap. The numbers do not seem to change much with the cpap on, regardless of the settings I try (auto set, contstant stream, high pressure, low pressure, etc). Have not tried cpap pressure lower than 6 or higher than around 12 though. Not sure if it is worth testing that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Show data that was with CPAP, and also show the Daily Charts. Your Sats should be significantly improved, otherwise prepare for a life with supplemental oxygen!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have attached fresh data from the few hours of sleep today with CPAP at a pressure of 9.8.

Are you saying that I need an oxygen concentrator (which I should be able to get no problem) IN ADDITION to an ASV or CPAP OR BIPAP?
I always assumed that when the breathing stopped, oxygen from a concentrator would not get the chance to inhale.

Can you please clarify your supplemental oxygen comment based on the fresh data with CPAP? It seems your reply on this will be VERY important!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I can't tell. It will take measuring your Sats while using a PAP overnight. The use of a PAP typically (not always) makes a significant improvement in SATS.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,512 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 536 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 852 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 264 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.