Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

PLMD diagnosed from sleep study
PLMD diagnosed from sleep study
On my second night of sleep studies I was diagnosed with Periodic Limb Movement Disorder while wearing a mask for the first time.  That night I had 440 leg movements with 48 arousals.  My NP sleep doctor put me on Meripex at what I believe to be 0.25mg which I took for two weeks.  At this point she upped my dosage to 0.50mg and I immediately began to experience almost all of the side effects listed.  I even had the side effect that is listed as being one that rarely happens.  I was driving down a 4 lane highway when without any warning of drowsiness I fell asleep and only woke up when I hit the rumble strips on the side of the highway.  This happened two more times before I could find a place to pull off.  I have not tried any of the other medications and was wondering if anyone has and if you had any side effects and do you think your PLMD improved?  Unlike Restless Leg Syndrome PLMD happens when you are asleep and you are unaware of it.  It can, however, cause an arousol. In 2 weeks I will get to meet with the Sleep Neurologist that interprets the data from the sleep studies for the clinic I use, so hopefully he will have some insight into what I should do.  I do feel better since starting therapy and my AHI is usually below 1.0 but I don't feel as energetic and motivated as I used to feel and I have some fatigue in the afternoon.  I presume this is caused by my PLMD.  If not for PLMD my CPAP therapy would be a success.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: PLMD diagnosed from sleep study
Hi Haley and welcome to Apnea Board! Glad you found us. Hold on and hopefully someone who experiences PLMD can chime in with some advice. I've never had it and can only sympathize how awful the side effects of the meds they've put you on are. How scary!! I hope you find a way to treat this without using the medication that suddenly puts you to sleep.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: PLMD diagnosed from sleep study
Thanks for the welcome and encouraging words. Haley
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 158 04-16-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 87 1,367 04-13-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: PandaZA
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 25 713 04-09-2024, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Schernenk
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 358 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Do I not need a CPAP anymore? In-Lab Study Results brehski 6 210 04-03-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 68 6,261 04-02-2024, 04:13 PM
Last Post: ArcherNeedsSleep
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 381 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.