Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Which do you use?
This poll is closed.
CPAP
27.27%
12 27.27%
APAP
54.55%
24 54.55%
Bi-PAP
4.55%
2 4.55%
VPAP
13.64%
6 13.64%
Total 44 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

POLL - CPAP vs. all other PAPs
RE: POLL - CPAP vs. all other PAPs
(06-19-2016, 01:39 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: I know this statement makes no sense, but maybe we're the odd ones. We started talking about battery backups and the next thing you know, somebody in the group has reverse engineered, peer reviewed and built a dang prototype of a manufacturer's power supply ......

(06-19-2016, 02:11 PM)chill Wrote: The geek quotient on this board is pleasingly high. Grin

Yep, and that thread is an amazing one to follow.

Amazing
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll is complete - looks like:

82% on CPAP/APAP
18% on Bi/VPAP

Poll is no doubt skewed due to a non-=standard population on this list - I would guess that the percentage of Bi/VPAP here is maybe twice the general population of appliance users?
Post Reply Post Reply
[link to commercial DME blog article on Supplier #10's website removed] would have me believe that Auto-BiPAPs are a category of their own. Did you intend for them to be included under VPAP or BPAP or APAP? I'm confused where I fall here.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
This question started when Mongo threw into a thread that his S-8 was a 24V system. Well, yes, ResMed had started using 24 for their Bi/VPAP machines back then, but my point was it was a really small portion of the universe and that they didn't really go in for a non-standard 24 V standard until the S-9s.

So, to answer your question, if the machine says BiPAP or ASV or Auto Servo or VPAP anywhere it is in the BiPAP/VPAP group which probably make up 10-15% of the world - auto machines are really considered CPAPs as lumped together by the medical/insurance/government cabal and probably make up 85-90%. You are really talking features, not major functionality differences that would exist between say someone needing to treat central vs. obstructive apneas.

The purpose here was to have an anecdotal, wild assed guess as to what ratio of the two kinds of machines there are in use. It has no realistic statistical validity. I just wanted to be somewhere on the paper when I try to conceptualize the split in the PAP community. 8:1 or 9:1 or somewhere in between I think would be reasonable.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Somehow you've managed to say a lot, but still leave me pretty confused =) I'll blame myself this time.

I think I'm just gonna start saying ABPAP. If one distinguishes an APAP from a CPAP, then I feel it's reasonable to distinguish an ABPAP from a BPAP. I don't know where to draw the line between what's considered a feature vs a function. They sound like the same thing, to me, when it comes to these machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP/APAP vs. BiPAP/VPAP - They LOOK the same, but do different things. A quick and dirty way to differentiate is to ask "what is the max pressure the machine will go to?" CPAP/APAP go only up to 20 cmH2O. BiPAP/VPAP go higher. Also, inhalation pressure is higher than exhalation pressure. Admittedly, "flex" comfort feature of 1-3 cm reduction found on some units blurs that line, but for biPAP the pressure differential is bigger and can actually assist in breathing.

CPAP/APAP purpose: holds your throat open so you can breathe on your own. They are not respiratory assist devices. They don't "help" you breathe.

BiPAP/VPAP purpose: are respiratory assist devices that actually help you breathe.

A brief explanation of the insurance billing codes (HSPCS) found on a supplier's site (click da pic):

[attachment=2603]

E0601 is CPAP/APAP; non-invasive
E0470 is a BiPap (I think); non-invasive
E0471 is an adaptive servo machine (I think); non-invasive
E0472 uses a trach tube; invasive - not what we would normally consider when talking about these kinds of machines.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
As for ResMed going to 24 V on their S8 bilevel machine (VPAP), I would suggest that the wider split between IPAP and EPAP requires a more responsive blower motor; and 24 V makes that easier.*

* The blower may have to raise pressure by perhaps 6 cm in 300 msec.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question PHILIPS SYSTEMS RECALL - Future Purchases [POLL] WakeUpTime 56 7,308 08-11-2021, 10:12 AM
Last Post: josedeca
  [Diagnosis] POLL: Do you know of anyone who was NOT diagnosed with Apnea after a sleep "study"? S. Manz 28 2,440 07-28-2021, 09:37 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Would You Choose a New ResMed 11 Series as a Replacement? - Poll RayBee 11 4,142 05-31-2021, 09:23 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Angry [News] ELON MUSK TAKES CRAP FOR DELIVERING BI-PAPS srlevine1 2 990 04-16-2020, 03:01 AM
Last Post: sleepyp
Exclaimation [News] New Poll is in the Works PollCat 10 1,861 11-18-2019, 09:17 AM
Last Post: mper6794
  [CPAP] Poll on ResMed N30i mask SarcasticDave94 22 4,581 03-02-2019, 03:04 PM
Last Post: elwoodpdowd
  Poll, what is your BMI? Kryogen 20 4,847 03-30-2018, 01:06 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.