Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

POWER ADAPTER, BAD?
Question 
POWER ADAPTER, BAD?
Is it possible for my power adapter to have gone bad? It now seems, after two replacment machines, that the problem with my machine is on my end.

When supplier#2 sent me the replacements, they did not include new cords. That is the ONLY common denominator between all of the machines, yet I always have the same pressure problems.

In an earlier thread of mine, people on this forum have tried to help me diagnosing the problem. None of those have worked. But thanks to all of you for getting me this far.

Kate
:Using cpap then vpap since Feb.2013,
Kate
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: POWER ADAPTER, BAD?
Only if you happen to be in Australia, then you need different cord or plug adapter fitting Austrian wall socket

The power supply comes in two versions
1- 90W, power S9 and H5i
2- 30W, machine only (no H5i)

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2014, 04:44 AM)Kate Wrote: Is it possible for my power adapter to have gone bad? It now seems, after two replacement machines, that the problem with my machine is on my end.

When supplier#2 sent me the replacements, they did not include new cords. That is the ONLY common denominator between all of the machines, yet I always have the same pressure problems.

In an earlier thread of mine, people on this forum have tried to help me diagnosing the problem. None of those have worked. But thanks to all of you for getting me this far.

Kate

Do you mean they didn't send new cords or didn't send a new power brick?

Both cords and the power brick are subject to failure. I'd venture the power brick has more failures than cords.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Kate, The problem is definitely not with the cords or the power supply since you indicated in the other thread that the machine is blowing air albeit not at the correct pressure that you think it should be.

Stick with that other thread and hope that someone that is fully knowledgeable about your particular machine will come forward and give you the answer as to why you are not getting any pressure above 4 cm W.C. It would seem to be a simple setting or possibly you are not measuring it under the proper conditions.

Since you were able to get a replacement and you have determined it has the same problem, the odds are quite high that the problem is not with the machine.

Other Post is Here

Good luck finding the answer.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2014, 03:33 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: Kate, The problem is definitely not with the cords or the power supply since you indicated in the other thread that the machine is blowing air albeit not at the correct pressure that you think it should be.

Stick with that other thread and hope that someone that is fully knowledgeable about your particular machine will come forward and give you the answer as to why you are not getting any pressure above 4 cm W.C. It would seem to be a simple setting or possibly you are not measuring it under the proper conditions.

Since you were able to get a replacement and you have determined it has the same problem, the odds are quite high that the problem is not with the machine.

Other Post is Here

Hi Kate, I think zonk nailed it for you, you must have the appropriate size plug pack. If your machine uses say 70 Watts of power then you need a plug pack of at least 90 Watt capacity. Otherwise the the plug pack will heat up causing higher resistance in the transformer's windings which drops the output voltage causing your machine run slowly with subsequent loss in therapy pressure. After a while the whole thing overheats, the thermal protector cuts off the power & everything stops.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-05-2014, 11:21 PM)woozie38 Wrote:
(08-14-2014, 03:33 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: Kate, The problem is definitely not with the cords or the power supply since you indicated in the other thread that the machine is blowing air albeit not at the correct pressure that you think it should be.

Other Post is Here

Hi Kate, I think zonk nailed it for you, you must have the appropriate size plug pack. If your machine uses say 70 Watts of power then you need a plug pack of at least 90 Watt capacity. Otherwise the the plug pack will heat up causing higher resistance in the transformer's windings which drops the output voltage causing your machine run slowly with subsequent loss in therapy pressure. After a while the whole thing overheats, the thermal protector cuts off the power & everything stops.

They do not use transformers they are switch mode power supplies!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-06-2014, 01:34 AM)Skypilot Wrote: They do not use transformers they are switch mode power supplies!

Most switching power supplies do use transformers, but they usually aren't running at 60Hz/120V and are smaller than the older linear power supply transformers.

It's probably not the transformer that overheats but the power brick will probably shut down if you overload it. You do need the higher capacity power supply if you use the heated humidifier.

Kate, have you tried removing the humidifier? Did they ship you a replacement humidifier, or just a replacement blower? My S9 power supply says "90W DC supply" on the bottom. Does yours say something similar?
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Trying the humidifier was one of the first things that I tried. I bought a new cord and brick. No9e, not it. Tried a voltage meter for the outlet. Nope, not it. Sent that machine back. Have a lovely new machine.

Kate
:Using cpap then vpap since Feb.2013,
Kate
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-06-2014, 05:11 AM)Kate Wrote: Trying the humidifier was one of the first things that I tried. I bought a new cord and brick. No9e, not it. Tried a voltage meter for the outlet. Nope, not it. Sent that machine back. Have a lovely new machine.

Kate

So is everything working now? That's great.

Did you have to go through 3 machines to get a good one? Wow!
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,787 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 228 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,401 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  Tubing Mod to Reduce Resmed Airmini + Zephair adapter Inhalation Noise dil950 1 623 12-21-2023, 06:04 AM
Last Post: RSki
  AirSense 10. Power cable broke on air tube connecting ring. Ruhtra 1 403 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  AirCurve power problem Shamus54 10 979 10-30-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Shamus54
  Resmed Airsense 11 blowing full power with no leaks bcodemz 2 870 10-29-2023, 07:57 PM
Last Post: bcodemz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.