cate1898 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System One 560BT Auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P10's/backup-DreamWear
Humidifier: PR attached
CPAP Pressure: 8.5 - 13. A-Flex 3
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Began CPAP Therapy Sept. 11, 2015. Hx Hypertension, Post Graves Disease, chronic migraines.

Sex: Female

Question PR DreamStation feedback requested preferably from users but others welcomed
I am just weeks away from placing an order to buy my own CPAP machine. Since doing my initial research I have planned all along to get the ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP Elite. (please don't offer suggestions for the Auto CPAP as due to Canadian rules it is out of the question for me.)

I am starting to rethink it and wondering now that the DreamStation has been out a while if it is a viable alternative that is if it is in stock yet at my DME???. (I would be looking at the DreamStation CPAP Pro version.) After all, it is newer technology and I like the idea of:

-disconnecting the humidifier for travel to reduce the size to about half
-if using the humidifier, the hose connects to a swivel
-adaptive humidifier mode which is supposed to monitor room conditions and add/subtract heat as required
-ability to trial the 'auto mode' (even on the CPAP Pro model) ***which makes me wonder if it can do that, is it just a SW tweak to change this model into an Auto model?

Anyways, looking for feedback from all those with information about it, although particularly interested in feedback from actual users of the DreamStation either CPAP Pro model or Auto model.

APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!! Rolleyes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
11-08-2015 01:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
ramblingasian Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve10 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Eson
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: IPAP 16, EPAP 12

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: PR DreamStation feedback requested preferably from users but others welcomed
It apparently hasn't been approved for use in Canada yet. I have asked a bunch of vendors in the GTA and none of them have them.

Both the swivel and the adaptive humidifer are available with the airsense 10 that you're using.

I'm sure that the trial APAP on the CPAP pro is SW related, but Respironics isn't going to turn the CPAP to an APAP for you without you buying the APAP. They have had that in previous models and they never turned them into APAP's.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2015 01:57 PM by ramblingasian.)
11-08-2015 01:55 PM
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

RE: PR DreamStation feedback requested preferably from users but others welcomed
cate1898,

Hope this short description of the DreamStation Pro (Auto Trial) helps.

USE AUTO-TRIAL MODE TO HELP DETERMINE OPTIMAL PRESSURE

The DreamStation Pro's "Auto-Trial" mode allows the machine to function as an Auto-CPAP for up to 30 days to help determine a patient's optimum sleep therapy pressure level. During this period the machine adjusts pressure, on a breath-by-breath basis, to deliver the lowest possible pressure for optimal sleep therapy. Once Auto-Trial is complete the machine will revert to a fixed pressure CPAP device.

In other words, you can only use the trial mode for 30 days and no you cannot tweak this machine into an APAP. Now, with that said, I really don't know if you only have one shot at the 30 day trial, or if it lets you use it more than once.

One thing you need to consider is that the SleepyHead software does not support the new DreamStation right now. Hopefully, that will change soon.

Good luck in choosing the right machine. Someone once said.....your first instinct is usually right. Smile

OpalRose
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2015 02:23 PM by OpalRose.)
11-08-2015 02:14 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
cate1898 Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments: Began CPAP Therapy Sept. 11, 2015. Hx Hypertension, Post Graves Disease, chronic migraines.

Thanks OpalRose, I think I read that passage in the clinician's manual about the 30 days etc. It kind of sounds like a more comfortable home study titration where the 'auto' part of the machine is in control and not using the algorithms the sleep lab techs use. Interesting idea for sure.

And I'm pretty sure I read someone post recently on this forum how they have a DreamStation and SleepyHead was working with it. Can't remember what post or who posted it of course. Wish I could.

Ramblingasian: that's bad news for me I guess. Makes me think I'll be sticking with the A10 Elite. I will have to ask the DME about purchasing the one I am using as it seems to function perfectly and I keep reading things about people with rainout problems and tank seal issues. I don't have any issues with my loaner that was a demo model for them. Probably they can't do that, but I am tempted to ask.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11-08-2015 05:14 PM
pwgphoto Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP with humidifier
Mask Type: Hybrid
Mask Make & Model: Resprionics DreamWear
Humidifier: Respironics DreamStation Humidifer
CPAP Pressure: 7-11
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

Been using the Auto DreamStation almost two weeks now. I am new to CPAP and don't know enough about the CPAP world to make any real insights other than what it is like as a newbie. This is the machine the DME gave me. I told the doctor I wanted a good machine that had advanced data monitoring and auto functionality.

I like the machine, but don't know anything else. There are things I don't like about it. Most notably is the fact that the only data app that works at this point is PR's DreamMapper and it leaves a lot to be desired. It gives very little useful info. I have also been having a problem with the machines LCD display telling one AHI# and the app telling me a different one. The app's is usually lower than the machine's by almost half. I got a weird explanation when I called tech support and need to look into it more. I also have never had less than a 100% mask fit number and no leakage time at all show up since starting. I know that can't be right unless I am the best mask wearer ever. When and if SleepyHead starts being able to read the data, I hope I will get better use of my machine.

As far as using the machine, I like that the LCD is on the front of the machine because it makes it easy to read as I am laying in bed. Whenever I wake up during the night I like that I can just press the dial and see what pressure I am using at the time. Making adjustments when sitting up in bed is not that bad either, but I guess a top mounted LCD would be better for that, but I don't mind.

The humidifier is also not too bad to use. Things I wish were better on it is when pressing the lid open button, it should be spring loaded. Now you pull the button forward with one hand and pull back lightly on the top hose connector to open it. I would like it to pop up a little automatically when pulling the release. The inner tank comes out to fill it, while the tank has an open top, it has a lip around it to prevent spillage. I have been taking it out to fill it because I have a gallon bottle of distilled water and it is easier and I imagine less messy to remove the inner tank. I may fill some smaller bottles to be able to pour it right into the tank, while in machine.

Sorry I can't get more specific, but I don't have the knowledge. This site and the people on it are great though and help a lot.
11-08-2015 05:50 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
ramblingasian Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve10 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Eson
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: IPAP 16, EPAP 12

Other Comments:

(11-08-2015 05:14 PM)cate1898 Wrote:  Ramblingasian: that's bad news for me I guess. Makes me think I'll be sticking with the A10 Elite. I will have to ask the DME about purchasing the one I am using as it seems to function perfectly and I keep reading things about people with rainout problems and tank seal issues. I don't have any issues with my loaner that was a demo model for them. Probably they can't do that, but I am tempted to ask.

I'm up to my third Airsense/Aircurve 10 machine now (two loaners and one owned) and none of them have had the rainout or tank seal issues - I do notice though that you do need to push the tank into the machine and that a gap could be left if you don't. I've heard the high pitched sound once and I realized that the tank wasn't seated right.

I had asked the respiratory therapists about it yesterday when I picked up my "real" machine about the Dreamstation. They did say that they didn't think that it would take too long for Health Canada and then the ADP to approve the machine - but I guess we're always slower here in Canada than in the US.
11-08-2015 05:55 PM
cate1898 Offline

Advisory Members

Thanks pwgphoto for the review. I am a newbie myself to CPAP.

Oh, and welcome to this great forum!!!

Thanks to everyone else also for the helpful replies!

11-09-2015 10:58 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Weird Tolkienish Figure Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics Dream Station Auto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus FFM Medium
Humidifier: Respironics Dream Station Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 15?
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

(11-08-2015 01:40 PM)cate1898 Wrote:  I am just weeks away from placing an order to buy my own CPAP machine. Since doing my initial research I have planned all along to get the ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP Elite. (please don't offer suggestions for the Auto CPAP as due to Canadian rules it is out of the question for me.)

I am starting to rethink it and wondering now that the DreamStation has been out a while if it is a viable alternative that is if it is in stock yet at my DME???. (I would be looking at the DreamStation CPAP Pro version.) After all, it is newer technology and I like the idea of:

-disconnecting the humidifier for travel to reduce the size to about half
-if using the humidifier, the hose connects to a swivel
-adaptive humidifier mode which is supposed to monitor room conditions and add/subtract heat as required
-ability to trial the 'auto mode' (even on the CPAP Pro model) ***which makes me wonder if it can do that, is it just a SW tweak to change this model into an Auto model?

Anyways, looking for feedback from all those with information about it, although particularly interested in feedback from actual users of the DreamStation either CPAP Pro model or Auto model.

Got the auto a week ago. Pretty neat machine, but I'm new to CPAP so I have nothing to compare it to.
11-09-2015 11:09 AM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

If you do not have the Dreamstation available to you yet, I suggest the PRS 60 with AFlex - this is the predecessor of the Dreamstation, it has everything you mentioned above, just a different exterior design. it is a sturdy and reliable machine, quiet, and efficient with a full reporting of events. The major difference,besides the box it is housed in, is the possibility, with an add-on, of direct oxymetry with Philip's own oxymeter, a rather expensive option that you won't be able to get in Canada without a prescription. In addition, some have reported the Dreamstation to emit a whine at higher pressures, which the PRS60 does not, it is a problem related to the overhaul of the air intake in the new design and so unlikely to be fixed in the near future, as it would require a redesign of the shell again.
11-09-2015 02:25 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
esrepairman Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Phillips Respironics AUTO 60 series
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Quattro Air
Humidifier: System One
CPAP Pressure: 16cm
CPAP Software: EncoreViewer Other Software

Other Comments:

(11-08-2015 05:50 PM)pwgphoto Wrote:  Most notably is the fact that the only data app that works at this point is PR's DreamMapper and it leaves a lot to be desired. It gives very little useful info. I have also been having a problem with the machines LCD display telling one AHI# and the app telling me a different one. The app's is usually lower than the machine's by almost half. I got a weird explanation when I called tech support and need to look into it more.
I cannot be certain, but this may be due to the fact that you LCD display gives you up to the minute data, and the app is dependent upon whether or not the modem in your CPAP has downloaded data yet. It does not automatically transmit data as soon as you turn it off. It is supposed to do it sometime at least 30 minutes after the machine is turned off, but with all of the software updates that Respironics has been doing the last few weeks, sometimes there might be a day or two lag in your data being uploaded to their website. You can go into My Provider and manual upload data, but they have had some trouble with this as well.
I agree their app leaves a lot to be desired. Any good DME should be able to mail/fax/email you a more detailed report at your request.
11-09-2015 03:02 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Question for Airfit F10 Users PaytonA 2 208 12-03-2016 05:29 PM
Last Post: PsychoMike
  [Equipment] Dreamstation auto off ??? johno02 15 773 11-27-2016 01:56 PM
Last Post: johno02
  AHI differs between DreamStation and AirsSense 10 JD007 11 690 11-20-2016 03:48 AM
Last Post: holden4th
  Reset Machine Hours DreamStation Perchas 1 225 11-17-2016 06:26 PM
Last Post: robysue
  My first night with DreamStation Auto Perchas 6 747 11-07-2016 02:51 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Would Welcome Your Feedback About This harmon k 18 681 10-29-2016 05:48 PM
Last Post: PoolQ
  My First Night with DreamStation mcsheltie 7 470 10-29-2016 10:39 AM
Last Post: robysue