Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bipap vs Apap
Bipap vs Apap
I was wondering what the difference between Bipap which I use and Apap. I have been using Bipap for over 2 years and am very comfortable but wake up early in morning during Rem and am wondering is it because that's when my pressure is going up and that wakes me? Do any of you have that problem?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bipap vs Apap
While you're waiting for a guru to answer (being a newb, I'm not what you'd be looking for), you might get started by downloading SleepyHead, rousting up a SD card to put in your BiPAP, and begin recording data. Once you have a night or two, post your charts here (you'll see how under an Advisory Member's signature line).

You charts will give an idea about the interplay between pressure and arousals. Often with some fine tuning, sleep gets a whole lot better.
Post Reply Post Reply

• Philips Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP Machine (DSX500x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom, bricks look the same) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP) (best choice)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation CPAP Pro (DSX400x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom) (Fixed CPAP)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation BiPAP Pro (DSX600x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom) (Fixed CPAP, Fixed BiPAP)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation BiPAP Auto Machine (DSX700x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom) (Fixed CPAP, Fixed BiPAP, Auto BiPAP) (best choice)
There is ambiguity in your question.
APAP generally refers to Auto CPAP which has the modes Fixed CPAP and Auto CPAP Pressure range on CPAP is typically 4-20 cmw.
BiPap covers many machines with different purposes. Pressure range is typically 4-25 cmw, with 4-30 for the advanced ventilator models (not listed above)
A basic BiPAP machine has the modes Fixed CPAP and Fixed BiPAP. An Auto BiPAP adds a Auto BiPAP mode. On a BiPAP the IPAP (Inhale pressure), EPAP (Exhale pressure), and PS (Pressure Support) are individually controlled. BiPAP, depending on the mode selected (there are several BiPAP modes), also has breath timing parameters. There are also flex parameters that are specific to machine class.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Download Sleepyhead and post your daily charts.  This allows us to advise you based on your data.  We will likely see when you are waking and see what events are leading up to it.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2018, 10:44 PM)Sleepyv Wrote: I was wondering what the difference between Bipap which I use and Apap. I have been using Bipap for over 2 years and am very comfortable but wake up early in morning during Rem and am wondering is it because that's when my pressure is going up and that wakes me? Do any of you have that problem?

The answer to your question depends on your pressures and pressure support in BiPAP.  A CPAP is designed to provide a fixed pressure.  That used to mean EPAP and IPAP were about the same, but now with Flex or EPR, CPAP machines provide limited pressure difference (pressure support) between inhale and exhale.  The Resmed series machines with EPR provide up to 3-cm in a manner that is close, if not identical to bilevel.  Philips machines offer Flex, which is limited to 2-cm and is proportional to respiratory flow.   

If you were to change to Auto CPAP, the Resmed would most closely approximate the behavior of your BiPAP up to a pressure support (EPR) of 3.  As Bonjour suggested, providing some data and settings from your current machine would help us to narrow down what you'd likely experience.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 372 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 576 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 434 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,422 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,150 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.