Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

PR Pressure Hunt and Peck
Exclaimation 
PR Pressure Hunt and Peck
I have a PR System One RemStar Auto with A-Flex (560PBT) with APAP (Variable) and Min 7 Max 10 (cmH2O) (Sleepyhead tells me). The Sleep tech (Resmed) was surprised by the pressure profile which shows pressure "hunting and pecking" from my machine - that he is not used to seeing on the resmed machines. Is my pressure profile "normal" for a PR machine? The PR seems to go searching for a higher pressure when there are no events and even the pressure is declining whilst it detects events.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: PR Pressure Hunt and Peck
The Respironics PRS1 Auto is programmed to evaluate pressure increases of 2 cmH2O at regular intervals. If it does not find an improvement, it drops the pressure back to minimum or until it detects flow limitation or snores. Your chart is absolutely typical for that machine, even in CPAP mode. The higher pressure at about 01:45 was due to flow limitations. Overall, it looks like you're dialed in pretty well.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good info--my PR560 does the same thing and I did read something about the pulse, but couldn't find it when I had questions. Thanks for the question and the answer!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info Sleeprider. At least my Sleeptech will sleep well knowing this. As for me ....

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm happy my machine is taking care of me! I'm running higher pressures than you are and have never been bothered by the pulses---on bad night sometimes as many as 15 or more.
Post Reply Post Reply
SideSleeper, that is how I look at it too. The APAP is doing its job and is constantly searching and ready. I personally don't notice these pressure changes, doesn't seem to wake me up.
If you look at the pressure graph in sleepyhead, it moves up and down 1.5cm.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dear OpalRose / Sidesleeper - my Sleeptech thinks that it is the pressure fluctuations that is affecting me - maybe more noticeable at I am at a lower pressure. I will be trying 7 - 7.5 (lo-hi) tonight and see how that goes.

Post Reply Post Reply
My PR 560 also does this. I asked about it elsewhere and was told this is normal for the PR machines. Some describe this as the machine poking you with more pressure. Since not all machines work this way, it is interesting to speculate if this poking is better than non-poking. I have seen events in my data where the machine does nothing while at other times it will do one of these pulses where there was no event. Hopefully the folks that designed it know what they are doing but I have not figured out yet what causes the PR 560 to increase pressure "for cause"
Post Reply Post Reply
The pressure fluctuations are built into the algorithm for this machine. For most people it is not disruptive. It can improve therapy in people who do not have the usual flow limitations or snores preceding events, as the machine "tests" a higher pressure, then returns if volume improvements are not recorded. Again, the pressure changes occur over several minutes, and are very gradual. It is not a pulse.

Resmed Autoset machines do not exhibit this fluctuation, but change pressures faster.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,637 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 922 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 646 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,556 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23
  Newbie Joins Hunt for CPAP Machine jimolson52 9 933 03-10-2022, 03:45 PM
Last Post: Aldebaran
  Is expiratory pressure relief similar to BiPAP on lower pressure settings? drmaestro 11 3,349 05-18-2020, 01:35 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Difference between EPAP set pressure and operational pressure brugerard 8 2,350 01-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Last Post: brugerard

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.