Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

PR System One Auto vs S9 Auto
RE: PR System One Auto vs S9 Auto
(06-29-2012, 04:04 PM)mjbearit Wrote: I just ordered a DS550 Auto from Supplier#2.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Auto-CPAP machines! Congrats

Of course, we expect a full report once you've used it for a while. Grin

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2012, 04:49 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(06-29-2012, 04:04 PM)mjbearit Wrote: I just ordered a DS550 Auto from Supplier#2.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Auto-CPAP machines! Congrats

Of course, we expect a full report once you've used it for a while. Grin

Coffee

I'm hoping you'll have to wake me up for that report! Smile I would have been happy with something from this decade, but an auto at that price? Couldn't pass that up! Now I don't have to worry about doctor's again. Got my auto and my oximeter! I'm stylin'! LOL!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2012, 04:27 PM)zonk Wrote:
(06-29-2012, 04:04 PM)mjbearit Wrote: BTW there was no tax or shipping (I think that is USA only folks)
Its the same for Aussie folks no tax just $65 for shipping

I kind of assumed there would be some kind of shipping. I wanted to throw that disclaimer in because I didn't want someone claiming I misled them! Smile
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2012, 03:54 PM)JJJ Wrote:
(06-29-2012, 02:48 PM)Kadenz Wrote: Where the S9 is better is when travelling. It feels lighter and only one power brick is necessary even with a humidifier whereas the PRS1 requires two.

Huh? I have a PRS1 and it has just one power brick.

That's interesting. I was sent a power cord and associated brick with both the cpap and the humidifier. I didn't realise that both the machine and the humdifier can work off the same power cable/brick - which I assume is what you mean when you say you only have one? Many thanks for alerting me to this. As this suggests, technology is not my strong point...
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2012, 03:01 PM)Kadenz Wrote:
(06-29-2012, 03:54 PM)JJJ Wrote:
(06-29-2012, 02:48 PM)Kadenz Wrote: Where the S9 is better is when travelling. It feels lighter and only one power brick is necessary even with a humidifier whereas the PRS1 requires two.

Huh? I have a PRS1 and it has just one power brick.

That's interesting. I was sent a power cord and associated brick with both the cpap and the humidifier. I didn't realise that both the machine and the humdifier can work off the same power cable/brick - which I assume is what you mean when you say you only have one? Many thanks for alerting me to this. As this suggests, technology is not my strong point...

With my old REMstar Plus the Humidifier plugs into the outlet and then a cord runs from the Humidifier to the CPAP. If you are running just the CPAP and no heated humidifier the cord would plug into the wall and run straight into the CPAP. I realize that nowadays there is a power adapter involved, but I do hope the setup is similar.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2012, 03:01 PM)Kadenz Wrote: That's interesting. I was sent a power cord and associated brick with both the cpap and the humidifier. I didn't realise that both the machine and the humdifier can work off the same power cable/brick - which I assume is what you mean when you say you only have one? Many thanks for alerting me to this. As this suggests, technology is not my strong point...

When you plug it in, do you use both bricks? What do you do with the cord coming out of the second brick?
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2012, 06:25 AM)archangle Wrote:
(07-02-2012, 03:01 PM)Kadenz Wrote: That's interesting. I was sent a power cord and associated brick with both the cpap and the humidifier. I didn't realise that both the machine and the humdifier can work off the same power cable/brick - which I assume is what you mean when you say you only have one? Many thanks for alerting me to this. As this suggests, technology is not my strong point...

When you plug it in, do you use both bricks? What do you do with the cord coming out of the second brick?

UPS just dropped off my new machine an hour ago or so. Naturally this means I had to set it up and then play with it! The Humidifier plugs right into the xPAP unit and the single power adapter plugs into the xPAP unit.
BTW, another great job by supplier number 2! The machine arrived on time and in beautiful condition. It has a tad over 900 hours on it, I found no signs of abuse or wear or anything on it. So far it appears to work properly. It came with a carry bag in perfect condition that holds everything. Way smaller than my old one and the total weight on the UPS ticket was 7 pounds. Once all the cardboard and packing material is gone, I'm betting it is around 6 pounds or less. I took the Humidifier off and this unit is very small! I just took it off to get a good look at it, I put it back on of course!
I've been running at 12cmH2O on my CPAP so I set this one to 10-18cmH2O and we'll see what happens over the next few nights.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2012, 06:25 AM)archangle Wrote:

I plug it into another wall socket. But it seems from a previous post that that's unnecessary and it can run off just one power cord. My incompetence with technology knows no bounds... Still, I am right about the better carry case with the S9Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
I have just finished a period of comparison between S9 and PRS1. I started with 3 weeks on a PRS1 then changed to the S9 and ran with that for 3 weeks - then a week back on the PRS1 to check my memory of it.

I think it is a personal thing where different folks will get some differences in results...

For me I found it harder to to get used to the S9 and I found I needed higher pressure on it.

A lot of it comes down to likes and dislikes - with there being no definitive answer that one is overall better or worse.

From my point of view for the PRS1
LIKE:
The swiveling top hose connection - made it easier to fit the unit on my small bedside table.
The humidifier which is easy to clean and seems very robust robust.
The menu system which displays a lot of information.
The Power Pack - small and light.
The price.
DISLIKE:
The carry bag
The price of Respironics Software (thank goodness for SleepyHead)

For the S9:
LIKE:
The Climate line system.
The very quiet operation.
The carry bag.
DISLIKE:
Large heavy Power Pack - I travel a lot and every kilogram counts.
The fiddly humidifier tank.
ResScan software - it is free but not as good to use for me as Sleepyhead

In the end I bought the PRS1 and a third party heated hose that has a a Y-Lead to power it off the PRS1 power supply without a second power pack.

Post Reply Post Reply
When I was starting out in January, I started with the S9 and due to a problem with what I thought was an annoying noise I was given a PR to try. After a single night with no sleep due to the noise level of the PR I gave up and went back to the S9. I have very large lungs and breathe deeply, this causes me to have a different breathing pattern to most. With the PR it tried to force me into an abnormal breathing pattern, dropping the flow when I was trying to breathe in and increasing when I was trying to breathe out. The S9 adapts to my breathing patterns much better.
We travel frequently, and the PR has a car adapter that is much cheaper than the S9 (and a lot lighter as the S9 is a second brick) but overall the S9 has a much smaller footprint and everything (unit, hose, mask, travel documentation, even the second brick) fits into the carry bag with nothing being crushed.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,621 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,295 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 675 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 382 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,352 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 300 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.