Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

PR System One REMstar Auto Power Supply Help.
Question 
PR System One REMstar Auto Power Supply Help.
The power supply for my new PR System One REMstar Auto went bad, I took it back to the DME and they replaced it with another one, I noticed after I got home that it has a one black and one white wire on the end that plugs in the cpap, and the end of the plug is red.

I’m almost sure that the one I took back had only one black wire, and the end of the plug was black. I think that they gave me the wrong power supply.

Would someone be kind enough to look at their PR System One REMstar Auto power supply and see if it has only one wire, and the end that plugs in to the cpap has a black ring on the end of it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: PR System One REMstar Auto Power Supply Help.
(03-09-2012, 07:27 PM)The Happy Dreamer Wrote: The power supply for my new PR System One REMstar Auto went bad, I took it back to the DME and they replaced it with another one, I noticed after I got home that it has a one black and one white wire on the end that plugs in the cpap, and the end of the plug is red.

I’m almost sure that the one I took back had only one black wire, and the end of the plug was black. I think that they gave me the wrong power supply.

Would someone be kind enough to look at their PR System One REMstar Auto power supply and see if it has only one wire, and the end that plugs in to the cpap has a black ring on the end of it?

my power supply says reorder number 70800906 ref 10588190

the cord that goes to the wall detaches but the wire from the power supply to the cpap does not come off of the power supply. it is of course two wire, one black and one black with a white stripe. there is a big thing on the line near where it goes in the machine, fusible link i think. the plug that goes into the cpap has a red tip. silver inside and outside with a red tip. i guess you could say red ring.

my wife's machine that is a year older has a slightly different looking power supply but the cord configuration is identical to mine.

i'm thinking you have the correct cord and for whatever strange reason may have had the wrong one to begin with. maybe this is why it failed.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
I think either cord should be the "correct" cord. Some older parts are listed as acceptable replacement parts for newer machines. They may have a different appearance, but are perfectly acceptable alternatives. I think the older M-Series cords had a plug that was a couple milimeters longer, so when you stick it in a PRS1 it's still sticking out 2 mm when fully inserted. Still works fine and meets regulatory safety code. I bought the manufacturer's battery supply cord for their PRS1, and it appears to have been originally designed for the M-Series.

Same is true of the filters. The older M-Series filters fit the PRS1 fine, but have a slightly different appearance. They are rated as acceptable replacement parts by the manufacturer.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2012, 09:14 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I think either cord should be the "correct" cord. Some older parts are listed as acceptable replacement parts for newer machines. They may have a different appearance, but are perfectly acceptable alternatives. I think the older M-Series cords had a plug that was a couple milimeters longer, so when you stick it in a PRS1 it's still sticking out 2 mm when fully inserted. Still works fine and meets regulatory safety code. I bought the manufacturer's battery supply cord for their PRS1, and it appears to have been originally designed for the M-Series.

Same is true of the filters. The older M-Series filters fit the PRS1 fine, but have a slightly different appearance. They are rated as acceptable replacement parts by the manufacturer.

that's good to know. i have generation 1, 2 and 3 respironics machines. my generation one is an oldie with 3 buttons, on, heat and ramp before they added the 2 arrows. maybe someday i'll be able to use something from them.

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2012, 09:14 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I think either cord should be the "correct" cord. Some older parts are listed as acceptable replacement parts for newer machines. They may have a different appearance, but are perfectly acceptable alternatives. I think the older M-Series cords had a plug that was a couple milimeters longer, so when you stick it in a PRS1 it's still sticking out 2 mm when fully inserted. Still works fine and meets regulatory safety code. I bought the manufacturer's battery supply cord for their PRS1, and it appears to have been originally designed for the M-Series.

This is a quote from a web site that sales power supplys for cpaps.

Important Tips

The M Series and PR System One REMstar power adapters are not interchangeable. This power brick works only with the System One REMstar machine.

On the web site it shows the end on the plug for the M-Series is red, and also has two wires one black and one with a white stripe, it also shows the one for the PRS1 that has a black end on the plug, with only one black wire.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2012, 10:01 PM)The Happy Dreamer Wrote:

This is a quote from a web site that sales power supplys for cpaps.

Important Tips

The M Series and PR System One REMstar power adapters are not interchangeable. This power brick works only with the System One REMstar machine.

On the web site it shows the end on the plug for the M-Series is red, and also has two wires one black and one with a white stripe, it also shows the one for the PRS1 that has a black end on the plug, with only one black wire.

i don't know about the website and how current their pictures are.

i do know that my system one came to me in a factory sealed box. the unit was made on 10-21-2011 and has the cord that i described so it is pretty current and came out of the factory that way. my wifes was made 7-6-2010 and has the same as mine. by 2 wire i mean 2 wire like an extension cord where you see the 2 wires together but its really one cord, not 2 seperate wires.

i guess you need to take your power cord back and have them give you the correct one for your machine or explain why its right or wrong if you think its wrong. what is the date on the bottom of your machine? it should be formatted like 20111021 and be at the bottom right of the serial number sticker.

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2012, 10:01 PM)The Happy Dreamer Wrote: On the web site it shows the end on the plug for the M-Series is red, and also has two wires one black and one with a white stripe, it also shows the one for the PRS1 that has a black end on the plug, with only one black wire.
I've bought two different new PRS1 machines within the last four months and they both had the same power supply. There are two wires, one black, one black with a white stripe, and a red tip.

I think some machines draw more amps, but they all have 12 volts. The black wire is positive and connects to the center pin, the black wire with a white stripe is negative and connects to the outer shield.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
okay, just for youse guys i pulled the old cpap's out of the closet.

the oldest first generation remstar plus plugs directly into the wall. it must have an internal transformer.

the second oldest second generation remstar plus m series with c flex has the black round wire and black plug you are describing. the transformer is 12volt 4.16 amp output and physically fits in the system one also.

both of our newer third generation system ones have the red tip one i described previously. the output of them transformers is 12 volt 5.0 amp output.

that website has their wires crossed (pun intended). in reality depending on the exact requirements of the cpap, they probably are interchangeable but i don't think i'd do it.

now i can go back and reload the closet.

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Update, I found out what the red and black ring on the tip of the plug means.

Red has a positive output center, the black has a negative output center.

When I was looking at new cpaps, I did notice that one of them said it could be powered with a 12 volt power cord, positive output center only.
Post Reply Post Reply
I looked at the date on my older PRS1 it was made on 2009/10/19, the power supply that it came with has only one wire with a black ring on the plug.

My new PRS1 was made on 2012/02/21, I called the today where I took the bad power supply back yesterday, the one that I took back did have only one wire with a black ring on the plug.

They said to bring it back, that they would give me the right one.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,604 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,788 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,063 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 372 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 297 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Admin Note] Policy clarification [off-site advice & advice given via Private Message system] SuperSleeper 2 2,787 02-06-2024, 09:00 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 228 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.