Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

PR System One broken. Can I replace with ResMed AirCurve 10 S? (No insurance)
PR System One broken. Can I replace with ResMed AirCurve 10 S? (No insurance)
Eleven years ago, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and received a Phillips Respironics System One REMStar Pro with C-Flex+. I had a pressure of 18. 

Last night it stopped blowing hard enough. Checked the hose, checked the filter, can't figure out how to fix it and no longer have insurance or a doctor. 

My uncle has an unused ResMed AirCurve 10 S. Can I reset his machine to my settings and use it? 

I've read and read, lurked on this board since the beginning, and the machines themselves still feel shrouded in mystery. 

I saw the articles here about how to reset the settings, but I don't understand if we even have the same type of device. I feel so lost ...

Any help anyone can offer would be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: PR System One broken. Can I replace with ResMed AirCurve 10 S? (No insurance)
Welcome to Apnea Board. Your uncle's unused Resmed Aircurve 10 S can perform as a fixed CPAP and will give you fixed bilevel capability. You will enjoy effective and better thatapy than your old PRS1 460DS Pro. You were previously using a fixed pressure of 18, and with the Aircurve 10S we can help you to titrate an even more effective therapy pressure and pressure support which will be much more comfortable. The VPAP-S will also provide full efficacy data so we can track your therapy with OSCAR software. That will be a great benefit. I'm gong to suggest you start with settings of EPAP 15, IPAP 18. That will let you experience pressure support, and once we see the results in OSCAR or the on-screen sleep report, we can guide you to improve or refine the pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: PR System One broken. Can I replace with ResMed AirCurve 10 S? (No insurance)
(05-30-2020, 04:03 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I'm gong to suggest you start with settings of EPAP 15, IPAP 18.  That will let you experience pressure support...

Thanks so much. I LOVED it. I didn't see your message until this morning, but reading this site gave me the courage to at least try to tackle the mystery because a working machine is better than no machine. 

Using the information on this site, I went into my machine's clinical settings (which turned out to be no big deal), then went into his, erased his card, reset back to the default and then entered my new settings. 

I decided to try the S setting on his machine instead of straight CPAP so I'd have more options. I'm pleased to see I came close to your recommendations. I used EPAP 14.5, IPAP 18, and switched on Easy Breathe. 

It was FANTASTIC. My ComfortGel mask didn't leak all night, and I didn't spend half my time fighting it, maybe because it was only blasting the highest pressure when I needed it. (Probably also helps that I put in a new cushion and changed to new head gear.)

The SlimLine hose felt like nothing compared to my old hose. I didn't think it mattered, but it was nice. 

Most importantly, now that I can see all the settings, I feel — for the first time — in control of my therapy. I had grudgingly accepted that wearing a CPAP was a PIA, but a necessary evil, and I've been compliant all these years, never really sure if it was even doing anything. 

My old machine said I had an AHI of 0.4. This one last night said 0.6. Downloading the OSCAR software now, so I can learn even more. 

I've felt trapped, because I have gained 75 pounds since my 2011 sleep study, and I knew I probably needed to have my settings changed, but without insurance, what can you do? 

Now I understand. Even without insurance, I can still take care of myself. It would be great to still have a pulmonologist, a sleep study, a medical supply place to deal with problems, etc., but I had to leave my job to care for my mother, so I lost all that. But it doesn't mean all is lost.

I told my uncle this morning how much I liked his machine compared to my old one, and he said I can keep it, even if I get my old one fixed! 

Thank you to everyone on this board and on this site who shares so much information. The "mystery" is becoming visible, and I'm so happy.
Post Reply Post Reply
    This is the Oscar file from last night. My inner geek is thrilled.
Post Reply Post Reply
That looks great! I’m glad you found bilevel therapy more comfortable. I hope to never go back to CPAP as well. From the looks of things you got the setting right and are doing fine with the more comfortable EPAP pressure. Just keep those settings because there is sure no need to fix what is not broken. Well done.

When posting charts, the best information is the Daily Details with events, flow rate, pressure, leaks, snores and flow limits if available. See the link for Organizing Your OSCAR Charts in my signature.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 86 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,619 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 298 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,525 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 563 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,218 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,511 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.