Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

PRESSURE UP WHEN RESP RATE LOW, BUT NOT ALWAYS
PRESSURE UP WHEN RESP RATE LOW, BUT NOT ALWAYS
Resmed ASV Airsense 10 PRESSURE GOES  UP WHEN RESP RATE is LOW, BUT NOT ALWAYS

There are cases early in sleep cycle where  pressure does go up to max, but resp rate  is not down.
Later in sleep cycle, pressure highs track resp rate lows closely.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: PRESSURE UP WHEN RESP RATE LOW, BUT NOT ALWAYS
I think you need to post some data charts to see what is going on.
It should not max out unless it is reaching the pressure it is set to as a max i.e. 15, but if it is going to the max pressure the machine is capable of, something is not right.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2018, 02:17 PM)villiewe Wrote: Resmed ASV Airsense 10 PRESSURE GOES  UP WHEN RESP RATE is LOW, BUT NOT ALWAYS

There are cases early in sleep cycle where  pressure does go up to max, but resp rate  is not down.
Later in sleep cycle, pressure highs track resp rate lows closely.

Sounds like possible mask leaks to me, which cause the machine to track higher to try to chase them. You need to post some charts.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let me approach the question another way:

I have tried holding my breath for a long time while I am awake but I do not get the pressure increase that I would expect.

The doctor tells me that this is because the machine calculates an algorithm over several minutes so that i cannot affect the machine by holding my breath!

Does that make sense?
Post Reply Post Reply
..oops, misread which machine you were using
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like it has to do with the way your backup settings have been set. The machine will increase pressure to respond to apnea events while your breathing. It will also increase pressure when your not breathing based on the backup settings.

Someone with ASV background will come along and help you with adjusting it if needed.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
It would help tremendously if you posted a sleepyhead chart with the machine settings on it. Your profile offers no help. A Resmed ASV cannot be an Airsense and a pressure of 8-13 is auto CPAP. I would expect to see mode, EPAP min, EPAP max, PS min, PS max. The AirCurve 10 ASV device uses breath phase mapping to provide a timed backup rate that is synchronized with the patient’s own breathing. When the patient deviates from the ventilatory target, the ASV device aims to stabilize the patient by adjusting Pressure Support. If necessary, it will adjust the timed backup rate from one that matches the patient’s own recent rate towards the built-in default 15 BPM backup rate.

One possibility is that if you take an inhaled breath and hold it, that is not a normal apnea that the machine would target with increased pressure support...you already have a lung full of air, and the machine knows that. So where would the mandatory breath go if pressure support were applied? The simple answer is, by taking in a breath and holding it, you have turned off the PS response. If you want to test the pressure support, try holding your breath following exhale, and I bet your results will be dramatically different.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 81 2 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 860 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  flow rate and leak rate question sleepingbetterinFl 0 90 03-21-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.