Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

PRS1 550 A Flex Issue
PRS1 550 A Flex Issue
Well I was hoping my next post would only be regarding my new results, but alas I am having a problem with my machine.

First, it appears my first 2 weeks have gone well, I will address that and hopefully get your opinions in a separate thread. Quickly though... after averaging over 2.2 AHI for the first 5 days or so, went under 1 for a week and then popped up over 1 for a few days. Last week avg is .97.

To my issue. My "new to me" machine was working very well, when one night about a week ago I got the dreaded 2 beep alarm. Pressure stopped, but then restarted. Later that night same thing happened and pressure would not start back up. Screen did show "Service Required". Looked in the manual and disconnected the power and restarted. As I recall it did shutdown again that night (which manual then says needs service).

Well, thought I would ride this out a bit and see what would happen. It is down to this now...pretty much each night. Between 3:30 and 4:30 (really interesting that it is the same time each night), the machine will beep twice, stop pressure and then start again ( I have the auto on feature activated). Some nights it will do the stop and restart once or maybe twice. Other nights, like last night, the stop/restart will be followed by the machine beeping / shutting down (usually over an hour and a half after the first restart) and I will have to unplug it, to get it to restart.

So... as you probably have anticipated, I am curious if there are any "known" issues that would cause this. I am obviously not familiar with the inner workings of the machine, so dnk if it could be a one of many issues, or if there is a common one. I do find it interesting that the issues usually occur during the same time period each nite (between 3:30 and 5:30)..coincidence?

If the consensus is that I need to have someone look at it, any suggestions? I saw 2 websites, one said they would give you an estimate (how can they without seeing the machine?) and the other offered free shipping and free estimate once they have it (and would send it back to you, at your cost, if did not want the work done).

Hoping it is not a "beep of death", and machine not worth saving.

Any and all input is truly appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: PRS1 550 A Flex Issue
see second post in this thread:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...550P-Issue

also: Google "Respironics REMstar Auto A-Flex 550P Beep Code"

the double beep is the BSOD of the PR machine.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I would try turning the Auto On/Off feature to off. I have read in other posts of folk having issues with this feature. For example, if you move or turn over during the night and accidentally move the mask, that feature may kick in and shut machine off. Don't know for sure, but it doesn't hurt to try with it off for a few nights and see. Thinking-about

I personally don't use this feature. It is much easier to do my mask fit check, then it will automatically start with the correct pressure. If I wake during the night, I just hit the off button. Much easier that trying to take deep breaths to start the machine.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2015, 09:04 AM)justMongo Wrote: see second post in this thread:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...550P-Issue

also: Google "Respironics REMstar Auto A-Flex 550P Beep Code"

the double beep is the BSOD of the PR machine.

Mongo, thank you for the reply and the link. I did review the manual / beep codes, that is were I read to unplugged and plugged back in. My big fear is that the double beeps are the BSOD. I pray not, but what can I do?

(06-19-2015, 09:17 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I would try turning the Auto On/Off feature to off. I have read in other posts of folk having issues with this feature. For example, if you move or turn over during the night and accidentally move the mask, that feature may kick in and shut machine off. Don't know for sure, but it doesn't hurt to try with it off for a few nights and see. Thinking-about

I personally don't use this feature. It is much easier to do my mask fit check, then it will automatically start with the correct pressure. If I wake during the night, I just hit the off button. Much easier that trying to take deep breaths to start the machine.

Rose, thank you for your input. I just read the thread Mongo referred to me, where someone did have the issue and it resulted from the "auto off" (probably the post you are referring to). I do not have that activated, only the "auto on". Thanks again

**update** went ahead and called a repair depot. Based on the information I gave him, he said could be a number of things, the 2 things that came of the top of his head was either the Board or Software update / clear codes. Board would probably run $250 +/- and the Update / Code issue around $100... ugh
Post Reply Post Reply
Hope you can figure it out soon. What a pain to deal with having to get a machine repaired.
Do you have a backup you could use?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi JerryLeeK9,
I hope you are able to get your machine problem straightened out.
Good luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The 550 series machines have a defect that was fixed in later models. The system board has a mounting hole over the top of the sensors, but no screw was inserted at the factory. The system board has a habit of lifting up just far enough to disengage the sensors causing the error. The solution is very easy. Open the case, locate the hole and insert a screw. You need some long shaft torx drivers to do this. It's this hole on the right side of the board with the mounting hole under it:

[Image: noscrew_zpsggi268nc.jpg]

Put a #8 X 1/2 sheet metal screw in it

[Image: screw_zpsfqjtani3.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like the machine is detecting a large leak then powering down. Only to detect breathing and turn back on. I do not use auto-off for just this reason.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2015, 11:20 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The 550 series machines have a defect that was fixed in later models. The system board has a mounting hole over the top of the sensors, but no screw was inserted at the factory. The system board has a habit of lifting up just far enough to disengage the sensors causing the error. The solution is very easy. Open the case, locate the hole and insert a screw. You need some long shaft torx drivers to do this. It's this hole on the right side of the board with the mounting hole under it:

Sleeprider, thank you very much, will try to get that done today and will let you know how it worked out.

Something else I just noticed. Three of my SH graphs are not showing data, starting with the day the machine started acting up. The TV/RR/MV graphs are all blank. Hmmm
Post Reply Post Reply
JerryLee this problem has been reported many times by Series 50 owners. It will work, it always does.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 0 45 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: cps22
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 113 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,414 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,376 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 105 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop
  hypertension issue PaulaO2 19 667 03-04-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 1 186 03-02-2024, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.