Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

PRS1 Auto BIPAP, Starting Prisma ST machine
RE: PRS1 Auto BIPAP, Starting Prisma ST machine
Arnie, a 1-L/min oxygen bleed with the BiPAP is a very low rate due to dilution of the oxygen in the positive air pressure circuit. When using supplemental oxygen, we seek to increase the "fraction of inspired oxygen" FiO2 to a higher level than the ambient air or 20%. It is unlike using a cannula that directly delivers the oxygen to the nose because the dilution air is so great. We wrote an oxygen bleed wiki that allows you to estimate FiO2 and to understand the process better. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._with_CPAP

The best way to know if you're hitting targets and maintaining SpO2 in the blood is to monitor using a pulse oximeter. These are relatively inexpensive devices that clip on a finger or are worn on the wrist and let the oxygen bleed be titrated. As far as the efficacy of the ST, we don't know anything without seeing settings and a chart.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi All,

Wishing you all a great new year. It is now 2 years and the Oxygen  and BIPAP time have been reduced to 5 hours for my mom. Come Feb 2023 it will be 3 years. For mobility reasons I cant take my mom to the hospital. With another surge looming it is going to get even more difficult.
So these questions are more for sharing and I know the obvious answer : Take her to the hospital! But still here goes

Is taking oxygen ( 1 ltr, a low dose) for so many years harmful in anyway?
Any new tests that can be done at home similar to Blood CO2?
BIPAP my mom has now reduced it to alternate days. The spo2 reading hovers around 94. Doctors advice is daily. Because of mask discomfort my Mom  is now using it only on alternate days. What signs I need to watch out for to see if this is having a negative impact

As I said just getting it off my chest and really glad there is a forum to do so.

Regards
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for your prompt response Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transitioning from ResMed to Lowenstein Prisma 20A SakimaStorm 2 112 03-27-2024, 02:38 PM
Last Post: SakimaStorm
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,717 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Bi-Level Help, Prisma 25ST Macka 0 87 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 374 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,016 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  1 year on CPAP - No progress: Lowenstein Prisma Smart phoen1kx 30 1,481 03-15-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 259 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.