Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

PRS1 sponge filter popping out. The cause and the fix.
PRS1 sponge filter popping out. The cause and the fix.
If this has been posted before I apologize in advance but I didnt see it on search other than it happens and put a rubber band around the machine.

Im not the rubber band man sort of guy so when mine started popping out coming up on 90 days of use I was on a mission to figure out why now??Thinking-about

Our house is on wood heat which means dry air and dusty once the fires going. I normally wash that filter every 30 days and change the white around that sometimes sooner.

So I washed the filter for the third time a few days ago. It had never popped out before and nothing has changed. I knew something had to back pressure but ive coughed etc before in the mask and no filter on the floor.

So suddenly im getting about every other day the filter is the floor next morning. So I put it back in started the machine gave a puff on the hose and out it pops. So something changed. Machine is still up to snuff pressure the same etc etc.Huh

I pull the filter and get a new one. Compared to the new ones the original one after three washings and rinses is very stiff.

Put the new softer filter in the machine crank it up puff blow snort into the hose and it never quivers. Sits there solid as a rock.

SOOOOO if your PR machine is popping the sponge filter out try putting in a new one. I dont know if washing stiffens the filter or age but it definitely gets stiff. Stiff it cant give to sudden back pressure and it pops out.

The soft new one seems to absorb any back shocks it gets by giving a bit and stays put. Fixed mine. No more popped filters.
Worth a try if you have that problem:grin:

Oh and no fair laughing at the image of a long haired biker type guy snorting air backwards thru a cpap machine.Cool

It was done in the interest of science after all.Laugh-a-lot

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: PRS1 sponge filter popping out. The cause and the fix.
It's a pap machine not a Breathalyzer.....
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
You're talking about the washable foam pre-filter.

Another issue is the disposable filter that's installed before the foam filter. I find that they are too large to fit. I trim just a tad off two sides with a sharp pair of scissors. They then fit in the socket better leaving more room for the foam pre-filter. It's then less likely to pop out.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepster - the PSR has a different system of installing and holding the filters than the Resmed does. So far, my experience is that they fit quite snugly - however, the white disposable filter causes a whistle in the intake, and I suggest putting it on the outside of the foam filter, just a titch of scotch tape on the upper edge to hold it to the machine. I think Philips didn't think their system through in that sense.
Post Reply Post Reply
From user manual, To install the filter(s):
1. If you are using the white disposable ultra-fine filter, insert it into the filter area first, mesh-side facing in, towards the device.
2. Insert the required gray foam filter into the filter area after the ultra-fine filter.
Note: If you are not using the white disposable filter, simply insert the gray foam filter into the filter area.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I know that - but if you do use the white filter first, it makes the machine whistle with each in breath. So, you find another way to get your cake and eat it too. Bugger the user's manual - these guys never have to sleep with the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I never had any problems trimming the white filter down to size with scissors, and then installing the foam filter over top of it, as recommended. The foam filter keeps the larger pieces of dust from plugging up the finer white filter.

This is on the PRS1 machine I used for a couple years before getting my S9.

PRS1 filtration is better, in my opinion, than S9.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use both filters but never had my machine whistle. Sounds the same either way. Never had to trim a filter out of the pack. But the foam one does or did on mine get stiff after some washing and started popping out. New filter is still pop out free so to speak LOL.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi everyone,
Question on the white filter. One side says Phillips respironics on it. Both sides are mesh. So which side faces toward the machine?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2014, 08:55 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: I use both filters but never had my machine whistle. Sounds the same either way. Never had to trim a filter out of the pack. But the foam one does or did on mine get stiff after some washing and started popping out. New filter is still pop out free so to speak LOL.

Maybe the old filter has swollen after being washed a few times?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 840 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 118 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  ResMed S10 Air Filter Options MoreBeers 9 1,876 12-08-2023, 12:34 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
Question Popping noise from Resmed elbow Proth 1 664 09-14-2023, 09:43 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
Wink Replacing filter fiber in N30i and P30i QuietAir vents - possible! PurpleOx 2 3,183 08-16-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Konomoose
  [Equipment] cleaning the filter on a nasal mask msherman1000 3 910 06-23-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: YipeekiOH
  Adding a true HEPA filter to APAP for california wild fire smoke Stom 25 5,805 03-23-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: JLRINCT

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.