Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

PRS1 w/ heated hose and 60W power supply
PRS1 w/ heated hose and 60W power supply
I am trying to simplify my travel pack with this system. I also just ordered a heated hose kit for my humidifier.

My question is this: as long as I turn off the heated hose (with it connected), can I just use the 60W power supply w/o issues?

This way, I can keep the 60W in the travel bag, and not worry about the power supply for a night or two while travelling.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: PRS1 w/ heated hose and 60W power supply
(10-22-2014, 08:58 PM)dakuda Wrote: I am trying to simplify my travel pack with this system. I also just ordered a heated hose kit for my humidifier.

My question is this: as long as I turn off the heated hose (with it connected), can I just use the 60W power supply w/o issues?

This way, I can keep the 60W in the travel bag, and not worry about the power supply for a night or two while travelling.

I also installed the heated hose kit on my 460. I use a regular CPAP hose when I travel just in case. That way I don't have to worry about the 60 watt power brick being over taxed by accident.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2014, 09:09 PM)Eleong2 Wrote:
(10-22-2014, 08:58 PM)dakuda Wrote: I am trying to simplify my travel pack with this system. I also just ordered a heated hose kit for my humidifier.

I also installed the heated hose kit on my 460. I use a regular CPAP hose when I travel just in case. That way I don't have to worry about the 60 watt power brick being over taxed by accident.

That was basically my plan: keep a power cord, hose in the bag for travel. By stating 'it connected', I meant not switching out the lid, etc. I see that I wasn't super clear there.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am 99 percent sure you can as the 550 and 560 are pretty much the same machine but for a newer firmware and the heated hose.

I think dakuda got what you meant which is why he has regular hose to travel with.

Without the actual heated hose connected to the humidifier the machine defaults to system one humidity just like a 550. Therefore if you only pack a regular hose theres no chance of you hooking up the heated hose and forgetting to switch humidifier modes from heated hose to System One humidity.

If you inadvertently hooked up the heated hose with heated hose still enabled in settings youd blow your 60 watt supply probably or damage the humidifier. With a regular hose theres no possibility of doing that.

Short answer is yes you can as long as you do not enable the heated hose option. Or just pack only a regular hose and heated hose option will turn off by default.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2014, 10:56 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: ...
Without the actual heated hose connected to the humidifier the mach
Short answer is yes you can as long as you do not enable the heated hose option. Or just pack only a regular hose and heated hose option will turn off by default.

When using the 60W power supply you can't activate the heated hose. In the clinical menu you see the lock symbol at the heated hose feature and can't remove it.

The 60 series recognizes the type of the power supply at booting its system.

Greetings
Fat Rat

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2014, 12:30 PM)Fat Rat Wrote:
(10-22-2014, 10:56 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: ...
Without the actual heated hose connected to the humidifier the mach

When using the 60W power supply you can't activate the heated hose. In the clinical menu you see the lock symbol at the heated hose feature and can't remove it.

The 60 series recognizes the type of the power supply at booting its system.

Greetings
Fat Rat

Good info. Ive not tried a 60w power supply on my 560 auto aflex. Didnt know it could tell what power supply it was hooked too.

I did know if the heated tube isnt connected it defaults to system one humidity mode with the 80w supply. Never tried unlocking it in clinical though I have seen what you mentioned in there.

Live and learn LOL.

Post Reply Post Reply
I am still interested to learn how it works.

I will try if the heated hose can also be operated with 12V or if it needs a particular characteristic of the 80W power supply. Currently I dare not, since I have no spare fuse for the connection adapter. With humidifier (level 2) and 562P (8 mb pressure) without heated hose I have measured an average consumption of 0.68A but for the first minutes peaks of >6.4A! The 12V adapter has a long 8A fuse I could destroy with the additional heated hose.

Therefore still takes some time ...

With 60W power supply my device worked for more than an hour without problems - only the heated hose was locked. I don't beleave you would get problems going on using it in this way.

Greetings
Fat Rat

[attachment=1072]
Post Reply Post Reply
The heated hose option only heats the hose. If its not operating or your just running a regular hose then its running as a System One humidifier just like the 550. Cant see a reason why it wont run on a 12 volt battery. Both machines are actually running on 12 volt all the time anyway the brick just converts AC to DC before it hits the machine like a laptop computer.

Only difference I can see in the manual is the heated hose needs more watts to push it. Not using it it shouldnt hurt anything.

I know you can run either the 550 or the 560 with heated hose direct off 12 volt battery if you have a battery with enough reserve to run thru the night. Otherwise itll drain the battery pretty quik
Post Reply Post Reply
My terrible English causes the difficulties to describe this:

After some time, the power consumption from power supply goes back to only about 0.7A. Now you could activate the heated hose option even with the smaller power supply because sufficient power would be available. However, the heated hose option is disabled since booting of the machine. At boot time probably the machine recognizes the type of power supply by a clipped current spike? - Perhaps it has another way to recognize the type of the power supply.

No problems to use it with disabled heated hose.
Greetings
Fat Rat
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,793 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 952 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 612 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 232 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 231 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 359 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.