Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

PS [Pressure Support]
RE: PS [Pressure Support]
Thanks.  No, I don't have any facial paralysis from the stroke.  I am on oxygen 3 liters.  I guess I need to tell the doc on Feb 12th that we have to get a better machine.  I know he is afraid of ASV's but that seems to be what is needed.  The CA's are awful.  Is there anything else?
--

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
I would focus on your poor AHI results, and your poor sense of health. Request a titration for bilevel with backup rate (ASV) assuming you don't have congestive heart failure and LVEF less than 45%, you are not in the risk group identified by the SERVE-HF study, so there is not an identified risk that specifically applies to you. I think it would be worth getting your life back. At least get the titration so you know whether or not this may be a solution, then deal with the doctor's concerns and make your decision. One step at a time. Get the titration.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, I'll ask him for that.  I'll ask before my appt on Feb 12 since that is over a month away.  Thanks!
--

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Larry,

If it helps any, basically the same info as Sleeprider has mentioned, but just wanted to add my personal experience to get the ASV: I was on the BiPAP with very bad results due to a high Central count. I needed to switch over to the ASV, which of course did happen eventually. I hammered the "how I felt" portion of the equation like crazy. I just told the docs the truth, I feel worse because of the BiPAP. I felt more tired, more headaches, more etc. Less sleep, less rest, etc.

I felt better if I didn't use the BiPAP. I attacked it this way because the doc really didn't care about numbers in my estimation. So I focused on my therapy is making me worse. They finally paid attention, and I was on the way to the ASV. Note it did require an urgent need office visit, but that paid off very well too.

Keep us posted on progress and best wishes on making them understand you need better treatment and results.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Dave, I called the doc's nurse but naturally got a message.  I told her to call me back.  I'm 77 now and may not live longer, but I take Sleeprider's message to heart and I do want to live longer so I want to have the titration.  I just got my wife to agree.  Now I just have to get it scheduled.  Oh well...
--

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
You're welcome. Congrats in what sounds like some kind of progress. Here's to a great day.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2018, 12:04 PM)LarryRapp Wrote: Thanks, Dave, I called the doc's nurse but naturally got a message.  I told her to call me back.  I'm 77 now and may not live longer, but I take Sleeprider's message to heart and I do want to live longer so I want to have the titration.  I just got my wife to agree.  Now I just have to get it scheduled.  Oh well...

At 77 you potentially have much more life ahead. Your comment perfectly describes why you need the titration.  You should not feel like you are at "death's door".  You can feel rested and energized, and it's clear what a drag your current therapy is on that goal.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, my friend.  I still haven't heard back but tomorrow's another day.  I'm pretty sure I will get it, but if I don't I'm hopeful that I can still buy it and we can figure out how to set it!
--

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, they just called me.  I am having the sleep study done on the 16th - WOW!  The doc wants me to start on CPAP and then try ASV if necessary.  I will have them send me a copy.

I told them that last night I had 41 CA's.  He said that wasn't so high as he looks at how many per hour.  Well, we'll see.  I told him the most important thing is how I feel (crappy).  If you look at Overview, you can see that everything was pretty fine until late November when things went to hell.  It's even obvious to me that we have to do something!
--

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats you're progressing...what I mean by that is you're getting their attention by telling them you're not being treated as is. Keep squeaking.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed Tech Support Jeremy H 11 1,446 03-20-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 664 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  High Pressure Support / EPR r4robin 3 458 02-16-2024, 08:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Lowenstein prima 25s support ? cbow48 6 716 02-14-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Macka
  CPAP Settings Support cspofford1 3 311 02-07-2024, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Pressure Support David Clark 23 1,766 01-08-2024, 04:01 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Hank68 Treatment Thread - Seeking Help and Support Please! Hank68 20 1,153 01-07-2024, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Hank68

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.