Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

PS [Pressure Support]
RE: PS [Pressure Support]
(01-23-2018, 10:05 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I'm all for patience and trying to get the best results with the most conservative treatment, but I don't see this helping a lot.

(01-23-2018, 10:10 AM)readyforsleep Wrote: I am getting very mad at your doctor.  Noone should have to put up with this.

Larry had his test on Jan 16.  Doc called him Jan 19 and has been making almost daily adjustments since then.  Now, 4 days later, doc is talking about trying to get ASV for Larry. I don't see any signs of the doctor delaying things here.

Larry, I'm glad your doctor is working with you, trying to get you to the right treatment.
-Amin
Nothing I say on the forum should be taken as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Apparently the problem is insurance companies.  Many of them will not do ASV unless it is called for in the sleep study.  My doc will try to get it based on prior sessions but the sleep study did not call for it.  My GUESS (only) is that it wasn't called for because I never had long sleep which I think for me is needed to produce ASV.  Anyway, if insurance won't cover it, I'll pay for it myself.  I think I'm allowed to say I have Aetna & Medicare.
--

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
Howdy, my 2 cents are from my experience at about where you are now in the ASV path, focus on how you feel, make notes if you need them, but tell the doctor how it is not working well, you're still tired, etc. I did see you stated as much somewhere above. Just put proper emphasis on it. I do not ever advocate falsifying any info, so base it on true experiences. But hammer the "how you feel" thing is what got me onto the ASV. And my PSG showed a very high Central vs Obstructive, but still, my complaint was legitimate that I felt worse with PAP therapy than without. Hope it helps.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Dave.  That is exactly what I am doing!  In fact, I think that is what got him to finally consider ASV.  I realized that my CA's were occuring after longer periods of sleep and I KNOW I didn't get long periods during my sleep study.  I think the problem with sleep studies is that you have so many wires and things that of course you will not have a normal night's sleep.  To me that is obvious, but to a doctor, sleep studies are what they have so they have to make the best of them.  He did say that if he could get me an ASV machine that he would let the machine dictate the settings.  At least he is honest!
--

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2018, 11:36 AM)Shin Ryoku Wrote:
(01-23-2018, 10:05 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I'm all for patience and trying to get the best results with the most conservative treatment, but I don't see this helping a lot.

(01-23-2018, 10:10 AM)readyforsleep Wrote: I am getting very mad at your doctor.  Noone should have to put up with this.

Larry had his test on Jan 16.  Doc called him Jan 19 and has been making almost daily adjustments since then.  Now, 4 days later, doc is talking about trying to get ASV for Larry.  I don't see any signs of the doctor delaying things here.

Larry, I'm glad your doctor is working with you, trying to get you to the right treatment.

So I'm impatient and want immediate results. Oh-jeez 

Things are on a very good path, and I think Larry's doctor and I are on the same wavelength.  He did his job and after a period of personal attention is cutting his losses.  like 

Larry, you're finally on your way.  Congrats, and I'm so glad things are finally going to be turning around for you.  I am totally behind you and the approach your doctor took.  I have been observing your daily results longer than your doc, and this is where my desire to move forward came from.  This is clearly the step needed to finally move back to quality therapy and for you to get your life back.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider,

Thanks!  There are still problems - I really would like my insurance to pay for this but I'm not going to make that a must.  I told you I like the doc.  I have a lot of confidence in him, but he still has to go through the procedures.  Anyway, you're right I'm finally gaining!  At least I think so!
--

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2018, 02:43 PM)LarryRapp Wrote: Thank you Dave.  That is exactly what I am doing!  In fact, I think that is what got him to finally consider ASV.  I realized that my CA's were occuring after longer periods of sleep and I KNOW I didn't get long periods during my sleep study.  I think the problem with sleep studies is that you have so many wires and things that of course you will not have a normal night's sleep.  To me that is obvious, but to a doctor, sleep studies are what they have so they have to make the best of them.  He did say that if he could get me an ASV machine that he would let the machine dictate the settings.  At least he is honest!

like Hope it gets moving forward quickly. Best to ya.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your doctor did what was necessary to prove to himself that the existing therapy was not going to give the results he wanted. That is important because he is the one that has to defend that position to get an upgraded machine funded by insurance. By convincing himself that he had tried everything possible with CPAP and BiPAP, he is in a very good position to make the case the ASV is medically necessary. I also presume there may be some evidence from the sleep study none of us have seen yet.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, the results were horrible!  If nothing else, he has that!
--

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
It will be interesting. At least it can't get worse. Without seeing the results, it's kind of hard to judge.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed Tech Support Jeremy H 11 1,343 03-20-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 530 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  High Pressure Support / EPR r4robin 3 413 02-16-2024, 08:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Lowenstein prima 25s support ? cbow48 6 684 02-14-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Macka
  CPAP Settings Support cspofford1 3 284 02-07-2024, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Pressure Support David Clark 23 1,629 01-08-2024, 04:01 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Hank68 Treatment Thread - Seeking Help and Support Please! Hank68 20 1,102 01-07-2024, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Hank68

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.