Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

PS number
PS number
I was talking to a sleep technician in a hospital setting and I was telling him about my sleep issues while enduring the AFIB. He has successfully confused me totally when he explained what the PS setting did in relationship to the IPAP numbers and the EPAP number. I am so confused.
Can you direct me to a thread that explains this in terms where this old man can understand it.  I do own a resmed aircurve 10 auto
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: PS number
Given that your sidebar doesn't match the post info, I don't know which ResMed you actually have. Despite that, PS is going to be the difference from EPAP to IPAP in those machines that have a PS setting.

Example EPAP is 7, PS is 4, IPAP then is 11.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Feedsack, you might want to change the machine in your profile to a Philips Dreamstation BiPAP Auto DS700.  Dave's description is accurate IPAP minus EPAP equals PS.  It would help to know your actual settings for mode, EPAP mn, EPAP max, PS min and PS max to help you better understand how your machine responds.

Okay, you need to change  your profile to show the Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto, and your most recent pressure settings are PS 6.0 over 9.0 to 19.0.  That means you start at 15/9.0 (IPAP/EPAP) an can go as high as 19/13.  You also need a soft cervical collar.  Use this link to change your profile information http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/usercp.php 

[Image: attachment.php?aid=20233]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I still dont understand how those numbers correlate to what it is your saying. Im sorry the tech said the same thing I dont understand. I own both of them Im currently using a RESMED AIRCURVE 10 Vauto. Is there a explanation  somewhere that I can read or perhaps a better way to explain this. I thought I understood this  but now Im at a loss
Post Reply Post Reply
Your bilevel devices provide two different pressures. The pressure during exhale (EPAP) is lower than the pressure during inhale (IPAP). EPAP stands for Expiratory Positive Air Pressure. IPAP stands for Inspiratory Positive Air Pressure. Pressure Support (PS) is the simple mathematical difference between IPAP-EPAP. With your Resmed Aircurve, you are using 6.0 cm of pressure support. That means your inhale pressure is always 6 cmH2O greater than your exhale pressure. This makes breathing easier, increases respiratory ventilation and works to reduce flow limitation and hypopnea. With CPAP and bilevel we measure pressure in centimeters of water pressure (cmH2O). We do this because the pressure is relatively low Your pressure of 9-cmH2O is only 0.128 PSI. If you think about blowing through a straw into a glass with 3.5 inches of water, that is the pressure you get during inhale. Your pressure support adds 6-cm during inhale or a total of 14 cm. This is like blowing into a glass hard enough to blow bubbles through 5.5 inches of water. Your bilevel machine always creates pressure in your airway, and the pressure varies depending on whether you are inhaling (higher pressure) or exhaling (lower pressure). Does this make sense yet?

The Apnea Board Wiki has many articles as well as a glossary http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Definitions to help you understand terms. You can also see all of the acronyms we use http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Acronyms
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for that explanation. I thought I had it down and based upon what you said I dont know why this tech tried to mislead me as to what the resmed machine did. Because of the wuhan i am using a resmed machine at my river front shanty shack  At my regular house i have a dream station.  Am i right in my assumption that RESMED reports leaks more aggressively than the dream station.?
Post Reply Post Reply
They repot leaks differently. ResMed reports LL at lower values because they report different values
Post Reply Post Reply
As bonjour suggests, Philips machines report total leak and Resmed reports net leaks. When you use positive air pressure therapy, there is always some intentional leak through the mask vent. The Philips will report all of that leak and vent, so if your leak rate is less than 30 liters per minute, that is an acceptable leak rate, but a large leak might be flagged at 60 L/minute. The Resmed reports your leaks minus the intentional mask leak, so a good leak rate is zero, but a large leak might be anything over 30 L/minute.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High Number of Central Apneas HungryPanda 5 456 02-13-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Number of Events? Heaviside 8 337 02-12-2024, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  S10 REF Number The Mask Bandit 2 201 02-05-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] New to APAP. High number of "Clear Airway events". Not sure what to do. lujojo 17 1,134 01-30-2024, 10:14 AM
Last Post: lujojo
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 326 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Same number of events with or without the mouth guard I got to treat sleep apnea? hejohoo 0 384 08-27-2023, 10:12 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Daytime fatigue w/ lower AHI, higher number of CA quartet3424 6 1,117 07-17-2023, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.